GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

TheBlondeFella

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
The bulk of that is just VAT. I order most of my bicycle parts from the UK because your prices have near parity with ours but once I take off VAT, I'm getting a 20% discount. Of course this only works my direction, our prices are pre-tax.

Not quite, but I see where you're coming from.
Try comparing the US cost of a car, electrical items, clothes, or gas to name but a few to identical items here in the UK. They're often a lot more that 20% cheaper.
I love visiting my US family and often come back with a much heavier suitcase than I went with. I even toyed with trying to get an APR exhaust in my suitcase once. 😂
Before the exchange rate collapse, I used to be able to fly to New York, spend a long weekend and purchase camera equipment for less than purchasing the same equipment here in the UK.
My bother also managed to buy a new British made motorbike in California for less money than I could buy it for over here.
We don't have a TV program called 'Rip Off Britain' that outlines how much more items are here in the UK than the rest of the world for nothing. 🙈

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Oh I know. I just used to work in London, and in Germany. Some things are absurd compared to here in the States, but some things are amazingly good deals. Jermyn Streets shirts are 50% less in the UK, Scotch is much cheaper (but lots of that is our "sin tax" in the US) and then there's just the whole EU pricing advantage, which I suppose is going away. French wines, Italian bike parts and even stupid things like Kinder Eggs are much cheaper, especially once you can remove VAT. I've been shopping for Galfer bike rotors recently and all things keep coming back to the UK shops.

And if you're talking about B&H in NY, I use them heavily for camera and just about anything electronic.

18GTISE

Car(s)
'18 VW GTI SE
Any update on checking stock Austin fit? :D :D :D

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Anyone have a source for the custom stainless lines in Canada? With the border being closed my usual solution of ordering and having them shipped to a mailbox in Washington State to bring across the border myself doesn't work.

I may just end up going with the OE Macan lines from Rockauto. Strange thing is that under their search for a 2018 base 2.0 Macan the hoses don't come up except for the larger 396mm brakes.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Anyone have a source for the custom stainless lines in Canada? With the border being closed my usual solution of ordering and having them shipped to a mailbox in Washington State to bring across the border myself doesn't work.

I may just end up going with the OE Macan lines from Rockauto. Strange thing is that under their search for a 2018 base 2.0 Macan the hoses don't come up except for the larger 396mm brakes.

Fittings should be the same, let us know!

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
I really appreciate this post, it is a great budget minded brake upgrade option. However, a lot of folks have added new information regarding wheel fitments and various other assorted tidbits, any chance we can get the OP updated to save folks from having to scour through 50 pages, and or asking the same questions over and over?

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Sorry for the size, but I'm doing this from the track. Here's the seepage discussed earlier. This is after my first session.

https://flic.kr/p/2jjrf5t

emichel6888

Go Kart Champion
It's torqued to spec. Don't need to strip these.
You used a torque wrench on a brake bleeder screw? Good grief. I don't care what your torque wrench says, if it is leaking, it is not tight enough. It really is that simple. I have always just gently torqued brake lines and bleeders with a short wrench, then you turn on the engine, hit the brakes and check for leaks. If something leaks then you need to tighten it a bit more, that is the true torque spec.
So if it is leaking, it is not tight enough, no if and or but's about it. While you can strip them if you are a complete gorilla about it, they can take a lot more torque than spec no problem. You are not going to strip them with another 1/4 turn.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
You used a torque wrench on a brake bleeder screw? Good grief. I don't care what your torque wrench says, if it is leaking, it is not tight enough. It really is that simple. I have always just gently torqued brake lines and bleeders with a short wrench, then you turn on the engine, hit the brakes and check for leaks. If something leaks then you need to tighten it a bit more, that is the true torque spec.
So if it is leaking, it is not tight enough, no if and or but's about it. While you can strip them if you are a complete gorilla about it, they can take a lot more torque than spec no problem. You are not going to strip them with another 1/4 turn.

I also had never used a torque wrench on bleeders previously. Then it seeped at Road Atlanta 2 weeks ago. So I figured I would do it "by the book" this time around. Same result.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I really appreciate this post, it is a great budget minded brake upgrade option. However, a lot of folks have added new information regarding wheel fitments and various other assorted tidbits, any chance we can get the OP updated to save folks from having to scour through 50 pages, and or asking the same questions over and over?

So OP should scour though 50 pages to update the first post? 99% of the information is in the first post.

Nickwb25

Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI SE PP
I am planning on buying wider tires and rims for summer and retaining the stock rims for winter tires. Will the stock rims fit the calipers and bigger rotors?