GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah I think I’ll stick with my 15 mk7, the 20 steering wheels seems , smaller and cheap. I test drove 2 of the 2020s and I feel my 15 drives better, I dunno,

you know, coming from my 08 Mazda3, the 19 GTI steering wheel (which I assume is the same), felt massive! and premium! :D But I do believe it is smaller than the mk7 and mk6.

david9962000

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I have an 18 GTI S manual and I test drove a 19 GTI SE Manual and it had a bit of rev hang, mine has none and the leather seat didn't feel like leather. Felt cheap, probably chicken leather , lol.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
I have an 18 GTI S manual and I test drove a 19 GTI SE Manual and it had a bit of rev hang, mine has none and the leather seat didn't feel like leather. Felt cheap, probably chicken leather , lol.
yeah i dunno what it is, the 19 and 20 i test drove didnt feel right, might just be in my head, or maybe they drive right and my 15 is shit lol

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
A couple dealers near me have 2019 SE manuals with just over 500 miles on for about 23K. They are branded as lemons because of the manufacturer buy back. Do you think these are good deals considering the cars are practically new?

LGriff86

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Urano 6MT Rabbit
Man I dunno. Depends on how OCD you are. I’m pissed my car had 21 miles on it when I bought it ha. 500 is a lot. I know its common to be in the hundreds like that but I’d personally pass on a car like that.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Sorry to hear man. I had to hang up driving the manual due to left foot surgery two years ago. At least the DSG is pretty bitchin

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
A couple dealers near me have 2019 SE manuals with just over 500 miles on for about 23K. They are branded as lemons because of the manufacturer buy back. Do you think these are good deals considering the cars are practically new?
theres a dealer here to that is selling lemon buybacks, they have a couple rabbits and lots of se s, i did a bunch of research on this, then i found a lemon layer(you tube videos discussing this) that specializes is helping people get maufactures to take the car back as a lemon, long story short they took it back because they cant fix it properly, if they could fix it, it wouldnt be a lemon, and most of them are bought back and sold to auctions to sell to dealers not being fixed, also they have 0 chance of getting money as a trade in or to sell to anyone since most states maek them mark the title as a lemon buyyback, unless you get a huge chunk off and plan on driving it into the ground, i wouldnt get it, the dealer here is trying to sell them at normal kbb prices, maybe contact kbb and see if they have a lemon calculator for those cars

cb1111

theres a dealer here to that is selling lemon buybacks, they have a couple rabbits and lots of se s, i did a bunch of research on this, then i found a lemon layer(you tube videos discussing this) that specializes is helping people get maufactures to take the car back as a lemon, long story short they took it back because they cant fix it properly, if they could fix it, it wouldnt be a lemon, and most of them are bought back and sold to auctions to sell to dealers not being fixed, also they have 0 chance of getting money as a trade in or to sell to anyone since most states maek them mark the title as a lemon buyyback, unless you get a huge chunk off and plan on driving it into the ground, i wouldnt get it, the dealer here is trying to sell them at normal kbb prices, maybe contact kbb and see if they have a lemon calculator for those cars
Not quite right. In order for a "lemon" to be re-sold, the manufacturer MUST have repaired the defect. Here, the manufacturer is pretty certain of the fix - so no big deal.

But, as you said, it will be a branded title and hard to re-sell.

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
Not quite right. In order for a "lemon" to be re-sold, the manufacturer MUST have repaired the defect. Here, the manufacturer is pretty certain of the fix - so no big deal.

so is that a law that the lawyer didnt know about? or are you a salesman? if they couldve fixed it why was it bought back as a lemon, they send them to auction

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

Yup... it’s a branded title, they don’t have “lemon” titles.

my friend picked up a rabbit for like 22k with a branded title about 4 months back, and like you said Yeah it’s really only and good move if you plan to keep the car till the wheels fall off

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
The stalling issue is all but fixed.

If you find a smoking deal on a buyback/lemon, grab the vin and go talk to the service department. Ask them to pull the service history to get an idea of WHY it was bought back. If it was bought back for the stalling issue, verify the reflash is of record. Then go for a test drive and do thd test sequence to verify it’s no longer an issue. Verify the warranty is still active, your insurer and financier will underwrite it. If so buy it.

Sure you loose resale value over a non-lemon, but as the car ages, that gap gets smaller and smaller. You are going to loose more out of pocket with aftermarket upgrades you’ll no doubt toss on than for the lemon status when it’s time to sell. Be nice to the service department and ask for prints of the work orders/invoices that lead to buyback. Suggest they redact previous owners info if that greases they wheel. Then you have evidence showing the buyback was for a known issue that was figured out and fixed a couple months after buyback. Like you, this will make a potential buyer more comfortable with the car.

This is what I did on my diesel Jeep liberty that was a branded lemon. Kept shitting EGR valves, a known issue with the motor, and was lemoned. I bought it, Drove for a year, tossed in an ECU tune that changed the EGR parameters and EGR block off. Drove it for another 168k before selling to a dude that saw the paper work, did his homework, and didn’t care.

The stalling issue caused a number of buybacks. I wouldn’t hesitate if it’s one of those cars and the issue is gone.

oh, and AZ doesn’t have a title brand for lemons, so there’s that.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
EEF09F19-4EE4-44B6-A6B4-7B70E748F980.gif

cb1111

so is that a law that the lawyer didnt know about? or are you a salesman? if they couldve fixed it why was it bought back as a lemon, they send them to auction
yeah, actually it is.....

I'm going to assume that you are thinking I'm the guy that fell off the back of a turnip truck, so I'll try to explain it to you in terms that you can understand.

When there is a problem that people are complaining about and the car has been in a couple of time for repair and it wasn't repaired (the circumstances depend on the state), you can ask the manufacturer to buy the car back as a "lemon."

Here, VW was struggling with finding a fix and were quite liberal with buying these cars back because they didn't have a fix. These cars sat in lots until some tech somewhere said "hey, let's try this software fix". This fix actually worked and VW applied that fix to those "lemons" they had sitting around and sold them.

In general, you'll see lemons sold in batches because as a fix is found and applied, they are released for sale.

Like others have said, if this is the reason for the branded title and you don't care about a quick resale, then these can be a great buy.

Oh, lemon layer cake is pretty good.

Last edited:

cb1111

He knows law better than your youtube layer.

@cb1111: Looking forward to your reply 😊
It wasn't a "youtube layer", it was a "you tube lemon layer" - a far more legitimate source.

I'm assuming that was a typo on Judas' part, but he doesn't understand lemon laws.

This also isn't your average "lemon" because here we have good reason to believe that the fix works and is easy to apply. Most lemons are different - they are "one off" issues where there isn't a clear cut repair.