GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 GTI 6MT Stalling Issue

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Been a bit of a lurker in the GolfMK7 forums, but I've had a DSG MK5 and a manual MK6 GTI and was a member of both of those forums. My manual MK6 is probably my favorite car I've ever had so I'm looking to get another GTI now. I'm looking at 2019 GTIs but this stalling issue concerns me, especially since I'll have a kid in the car (a lot has changed since I had the MK6!).

I've seen some reports that it's still an issue for 2019s and even some 2020s. Is VW working on revising the software fix or pursuing a hardware fix?

Last edited:

david9962000

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Been a bit of a lurker in the GolfMK7 forums, but I've had a DSG MK5 and a manual MK6 GTI and was a member of both of those forums. My manual MK6 is probably my favorite car I've ever had so I'm looking to get another GTI now. I'm looking at 2019 GTIs but this stalling issue concerns me, especially since I'll have a kid in the car (a lot has changed since I had the MK6!).

I've seen some reports that it's still an issue for 2019s and even some 2020s. Is VW working on revising the software fix or pursuing a hardware fix?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

Are you considering a manual or DSG.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Are you considering a manual or DSG.
Looking at manual as that's what my MK6 was and I loved it!

There seems to be some theories pointing to oil and ambient temps having something to do with the stalling and as we enter warmer months, we may see more owners reporting issues again or perhaps the software fix worked and we won't. There's plenty of people that live in warm climates year-round though, so we probably would have heard more from them too.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Looking at manual as that's what my MK6 was and I loved it!

There seems to be some theories pointing to oil and ambient temps having something to do with the stalling and as we enter warmer months, we may see more owners reporting issues again or perhaps the software fix worked and we won't. There's plenty of people that live in warm climates year-round though, so we probably would have heard more from them too.

It might be a hit or miss with the manuals. Some people have reported the issue after taking the fix whereas its resolved for others.

I have not seen many reports on 2020s but one has to consider the fact that people are still buying 2019 leftovers with longer warranty.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Lol...

it’s been fixed and all “theory’s” have been debunked. I live in a Las Vegas,I’m at 22k miles I only run the specified 0-20 direct from Vw, my cars build date was extremely early and was November of 18... ALL of these facts pertaining to my car were all theories as to why the cars were stalling, yet here I am with 22k miles stall free on my 2019.

Btw I still have my mk6, you will be blown away with how much better all All around the mk7s are.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Don’t worry about it, the issue is fixed.

yes, pretty much. ..but it would be good to ask the saleperson about the issue and get service documentation that the ECS was updated on the car that you want. ...of course, they will deny knowing anything about it.