GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To is38 or not is38 ...

Borkowski

Hi guys,

First time owner of a VW, 2019 GTI autobahn DSG, love the car!

Last winter ordered cobb AP, CTS downpipe, FMIC, etc etc .. Did receive a stratified tune OTS tune with it, love how the car is at stg2 right now but I taught it would have been quicker ! only trapped at about 108mph when I see APR going 110. So started the process of a e-tune with stratified ( only 3 revisions so far ) but I end up saying to myself that I dont think I will be happy with the end results, car is definitly quick but not fast , dont know if you understand what I mean ?

So started to look at the IS38 and really strugle to make a decision for the following reason

1. I do a lot of road , I'm worried that it might be too much, I live in Montreal Canada, now in the summer it's all good, but winter are harsh here , often -20 celsius , will spin the sh__ out of it in the winter
2. Reliability wise, I dont know if people with similar climate condition had experience with an IS38 setup?
3. Reed a lot of thread ( loosing sleep over that :p ) about IS38 swap , I found a OEM IS38 for a killer deal localy, what are the other expenses I have to encounter except for a tune ? turbo muffler delete ? spark plugs ?

Thanks guys , looking fwd for feedback of people who done it and also live in the same type of climate than I !

Last edited:

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
If you are looking to make your IS38 last 60,000 miles I would start with a new one. Additionally if looking for high reliability I would consider Littco’s L380 as it is better built and balanced. This will allow it to sustain the higher boost of a hot IS38 tune. However reliability is subjective and every car is different. There is no proven “safe” setup.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Unless I'm misunderstanding "company provided vehicle", you're modding a car that isn't technically yours. You've already crossed a threshold you probably shouldn't have. I will admit I'm making some pretty sweeping assumptions with limited information, but usually the things you're doing are a pretty big no-no on a company car.

Borkowski

Unless I'm misunderstanding "company provided vehicle", you're modding a car that isn't technically yours. You've already crossed a threshold you probably shouldn't have. I will admit I'm making some pretty sweeping assumptions with limited information, but usually the things you're doing are a pretty big no-no on a company car.
Got kind of an off record authorization , only if it break I pay , thats the deal

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
So to just answer the post direct, yes your understanding of what’s needed for a reliable is38 car is already in place, get the 38 and the tune and enjoy it.

also your 108 vs 110 trap Could easily be The difference between a fully loaded autobahn car Vs say an S without the spare and back seat.

Borkowski

Didnt want to go on a debate on if I should or not mod my car , I know what i'm getting into , my problem, thanks for the advises (y)

Anybody having a similar setup in nordic climate ?

Borkowski

Removed the company car comment, didnt want that tread to turn over a society debate over my personal choice :LOL:

Thanks for the input, anyone with a similar setup , cold climate experience ?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I'm stuck on why a stock turbo would be unreliable in a cold climate?