GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What could have caused this damage?? Its a brand new car...

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
is it possible that it was transportation damage you never realized until now when the car was on the truck to the dealer? ive seen some plastic wrap that was loose smack the hell out of cars and cause damage

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
I've got a buddy who babies his truck like no other. He's had it for 2 years now and still has all the plastic stickers on the dials and radio screen and airbag tags and everything you normally take off as soon as you get a new car, keeps a blanket in his bed so he doesn't scratch his bedliner. But he hand washes it and it looks like he washes it with no water. Its a black truck with the absolute worst swirls I've ever seen...
Thats horrible and idiotic. I have yet to have any problems handwashing cars and causing damage. I just get lazy when its 30-40 out and the car needs the salt washed off.

Oh well - my kid will be in daycare soon.. ill be claying the gti after a good handwash and maybe giving it some kind of wax while I am at it - time permitted.

Eventually ill get an oribatal / whatever its called so I dont have to wax by hand.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Though I don't wash my car very often, I learned a few tricks from my neighbor who has won several trophies for his GLI and Quattro show cars that work well for me.

If you use a few different buckets and a good synthetic chamois you won't get swirls. One bucket is for cleaning the chamois of debris and dirt only. Another for rinsing it. No high pressure washing. Minimal soap, if at all. That and a good hybrid wax sealant goes a long way. Car Guys/Chemical Guys have good ones.

I use a chamois "the absorber" to dry my car. I probably need a new one since Ive had mine since 2005.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5KQSK...olid=1FZM98UKKHCLH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
^^Just added that to my list^^

Appreciate all the replies!

If claying doesnt do much for the scratches what else should I try?

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
is it possible that it was transportation damage you never realized until now when the car was on the truck to the dealer? ive seen some plastic wrap that was loose smack the hell out of cars and cause damage

This was one idea I had but I dont know what all gets wrapped in plastic.

Tornado18GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
18 GTI MT 12 GLI
Thats so weird - This would be the first time in IDK how many years that I have only used touchless car washes (in addition to hand washing) and seen or heard of them damaging cars. I used to just avoid the ones with brushes since those have caused cars of mine to get scratched up.

So how are you guys washing your cars by hand in the winter when its freezing outside? Im not a fan of having salt on my car.

I mean I'm in RI and when I only had one car I would just bring it through a touchless. Now that I have a DD and my GTI sits in the garage I'll wash it on a "nice" day when it's like 40° lol.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
You don't. Water+salt=rust. Ice+salt=less rust.

That, and I drive my Saab.
Pic? I’ve always had a soft spot for those upside down bathtubs..

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've got a buddy who babies his truck like no other. He's had it for 2 years now and still has all the plastic stickers on the dials and radio screen and airbag tags and everything you normally take off as soon as you get a new car, keeps a blanket in his bed so he doesn't scratch his bedliner. But he hand washes it and it looks like he washes it with no water. Its a black truck with the absolute worst swirls I've ever seen...

Doesn't everybody keep a blanket in their bed?

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
I still have and use The Absorber on my wife's car. :cool:
They still work great. Pretty sure mine are from around 2005 too.

I've got some from back then somewhen, but I did just buy another for the Golf. I keep them vehicle specific just in case I'm not paying attention one day.

Not all swirls come from drying and so on, though. People don't know how to wash a car. Even doing a good job doesn't take five buckets and three hours. Soak it, rinse it, soak it again with soapy water, and then just let the weight of a microfiber rag handle the scrubbing, front to back (not swirling around). Only the weight of the rag, and keep a soap film on there. If it's still dirty after that, use the weight of your hand.

A second bucket is there to wash out that rag, but don't do that... They come in packs of twelve to twenty four or so. Use a new rag each time and then just wash the things later.

Between the soap film and the lack of pressure, the soap is free to do what it's been doing for humans for over two thousand years, now: It picks up the contaminants and keeps them off the surface.

Drying is to be done incredibly carefully and sparingly. Let the Absorber absorb, or whatever you use. Anything used to dry a car can be used in the same manner, it just won't work as well as an Absorber.

There you are. Regular washing with no swirl marks, and generally no scratches at all. You're not brushing your teeth. Those are rocks; or may as well be. You're cleaning off a surface made of wax-covered paint.

Let the soap do the job; and get good soap. I generally use at least Mother's Gold Class. Don't be afraid to use a lot. It's there not only to break the stuff down but pick it up away from the surface.