GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My experience with PI and carbon build up

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
so is there anything that has been proven to reduce/reverse carbon buildup on the valves?

Walnut blasting your intake valves.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
look a couple of posts up. MPI seems to keep the valve stems cleaner, but the back of the valves are staying pretty gross. Again, in the specific photos above.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
look a couple of posts up. MPI seems to keep the valve stems cleaner, but the back of the valves are staying pretty gross. Again, in the specific photos above.

Has anyone with MPI that's had it long enough to see pictures after similar mileage to before they installed MPI?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Slightly off topic: is browning of the top piston surface fine? I took a peek at them when changing spark plugs at 70k+ miles. Nothing bad, not gunky, just a thin layer. Can still make out the circular pattern the pistons originally came with. Interestingly, piston in cylinder 4 had the least amount of this buildup, and was practically spotless and shiny.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Slightly off topic: is browning of the top piston surface fine? I took a peek at them when changing spark plugs at 70k+ miles. Nothing bad, not gunky, just a thing layer. Can still make out the circular pattern the pistons originally came with. Interestingly, piston in cylinder 4 had the least amount of this buildup, and was practically spotless and shiny.

Do you ever use a fuel system cleaner in your gas?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Used it twice over the last almost 80k miles. First time (before peeking at the pistons) was a long time ago, maybe 20k miles ago. Why?

Just curious if the tops of the pistons had the brown color on the pistons if you were using a fuel system cleaner.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Slightly off topic: is browning of the top piston surface fine? I took a peek at them when changing spark plugs at 70k+ miles. Nothing bad, not gunky, just a thin layer. Can still make out the circular pattern the pistons originally came with. Interestingly, piston in cylinder 4 had the least amount of this buildup, and was practically spotless and shiny.
70k thin film is normal. Cyl4 being cleaner is a bit odd. Could be because it has best compression and less blowby than the others. Could be fueling related but I'd think you'd see other signs of that.