GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My experience with PI and carbon build up

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
This shit makes me nervous.
I'm looking to stay with an OEM PCV valve. My 18 OEM one seems to be performing fine after I upgraded the O ring to a beefier O ring on the TIP hose (yellow o ring). It was shooting a good amount of oil out of that.

But how the hell do we even keep an eye on things like: less than 100% purge valve. Failing PCV valves, etc. before too much damage is done??

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
This shit makes me nervous.
I'm looking to stay with an OEM PCV valve. My 18 OEM one seems to be performing fine after I upgraded the O ring to a beefier O ring on the TIP hose (yellow o ring). It was shooting a good amount of oil out of that.

But how the hell do we even keep an eye on things like: less than 100% purge valve. Failing PCV valves, etc. before too much damage is done??

What's your mileage?

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Can someone link the correct spulen kit? Uspmotorspoets says the one they have losted won't fit a mk7 gti

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
that's in the tune though, right? My understanding of the MPI as intended is to help smooth out idle and tip in. Couldn't you have the tuner utilize them in that fashion?

Yes, the specific tune for MPI is what turns it on. If you want to run full E85 fuel then you need MPI and there are more benefits in using it than just smoothing out your idle. The main reason is more power. If you have a rough idle prior to MPI, you've got issues that need to be taken care of like carbon build-up on the intake valves.

Last edited:

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Yes, the specific tune for MPI is what turns it on. If you want to run full E85 fuel then you need MPI and there are more benefits in using it than just smoothing out your idle. The main reason is more power. If you have a rough idle prior to MPI, you've got issues that need to be taken care of like carbon build-up on the intake valves.
I meant the reason that ROW models have MPI from the factory. I was just saying the tuner, theoretically, could have them on, a little bit at least, most of the time.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Not that I'm aware of. Can you return the APR one?
It's been installed for a hot minute. That said, if the bypass I linked works with the stock hoses, it should work with the apr can. May jist roll the dice, I still haven't gotten under the hood to look close