GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Crank walk / class action (we need to get together)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
And they'll charge more for it too, because their profit margin is going to be the same. Do you want to pay more for an overbuilt car or one that's price competitive with its competition?

Actually, I would play more for an overbuilt engine, but I get your point, most people won't.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Maybe I’m getting old in my ripe age of nearing 40, but I remember the time when tuning a car actually demanded lots of work. New camshafts, new fuel systems, projects taking a summer to finish. Now it’s turned into buy a system off Amazon or other sites (or drive to a APR dealer), get a tune program and be at like 40% more HP/torque in less than an hour of work. Then complain when stock parts fail or that it needs actual mechanical work to follow through. Tuning as never been this easy and people seem to be forgetting the times of busting knuckles or building up a garage of tools to get things done.

That's kinda how is was in the pre Mk4 days. 2.0 8v, 16v, and the VR6. I remember guys turbo-ing the 8v's. Some were actually pretty quick. If you had a pair of cams in your VR6...people were like...whoa. Most just did bolt ons and a chip for the VR. If you had the 3.0 Abt crank, cams and head...you were like god?. Far as I got on my VR were Schrick cams, VGi, and a VF supercharger. The intro of the 1.8T was basically the end of the NA tuning for VW engines. It was the start of the chip wars.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Thread is on page 2 somewhere. "clutch start defeat solved (maybe)" is the title.

I don't understand your second question. The car starts exactly the same from all appearances. If anything it seems to fire up even faster. Is there a big difference between neutral via clutch in VS neutral with tranny not in gear?

I'm not the first person to figure out the concept. Just (I think) the first to create an automated solution. Other people are putting magnets at the end of a stick and holding them into the right place.

Oh, the second part was just down to whether or not it's spinning up part of the transmission since the clutch is engaged. I don't know how this is set up yet, but I was wondering if it was placing any extra strain on the starter and battery. I've never actually thought about that until your post.

When I first read the thread, I wondered whether just shorting whatever switch it's using would do the job, but immediately figured that this car probably uses it for fifteen other functions. Thought I'd check your post to see how it operated. I'll go back down and find it. (y)

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
2016 MT, Golf-R, stock clutch, 60,000 miles. I have had no issues and I track my car. In fact, this is the first I have heard of a CW problem.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Oh, the second part was just down to whether or not it's spinning up part of the transmission since the clutch is engaged. I don't know how this is set up yet, but I was wondering if it was placing any extra strain on the starter and battery. I've never actually thought about that until your post.

When I first read the thread, I wondered whether just shorting whatever switch it's using would do the job, but immediately figured that this car probably uses it for fifteen other functions. Thought I'd check your post to see how it operated. I'll go back down and find it. (y)

I see what you're saying now. Is there additional mass / strain from starting with the clutch clamped and the extra shaft (or whatever they label it) spinning?

The answer is, I don't know? Seems obvious there would be a non zero amount extra, but perhaps is negligible compared to the mass of everything else that's always being spun at start up. It still starts nearly instantly, so that seems a good sign.

Last edited:

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
I see what you're saying now. Is there additional mass / strain from starting with the clutch clamped and the extra shaft (or whatever they label it) spinning?

The answer is, I don't know? Seems obvious there would be a non zero amount extra, but perhaps is negligible compared to the mass of everything else that's always being spun at start up. It still starts nearly instantly, so that seems a good sign.

Engine starters can move the entire car. Assume they have near unlimited power in the short duration they are used (before they overheat or drain the car battery).

Clutch pedal in forcing on the thrust bearing is probably same or worse than clutch pedal out and maybe 5-10lbs more of metal is spinning.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Should change your name from bad to bitch ??
I would but I've been too busy driving my much more fun and engaging car. Funny how the keyboard warrior GroceryGirl is calling anyone a bitch, you're posting on here every 5 minutes - get a life, loser ???

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I would but I've been too busy driving my much more fun and engaging car. Funny how the keyboard warrior GroceryGirl is calling anyone a bitch, you're posting on here every 5 minutes - get a life, loser ???

Actually, let’s get serious for a second... how do you figure I’m “not happy with my purchase “? I’m not the one who would have to worry about crankwalk being an issue?
To: bitchHombre

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
LOL and there it is, less than 5 minutes that time. It's almost impressive how you never have anything else going on.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
been gone a few days, cant believe this issue is still going on and is ever growing in popularity, its really a moot point since the % of people affected is lower than 1 it was a 4/1000th of 1%, its a joke. lets move on

Hunter1Lane

Not sure how To prove it, nor did I even know think you’d destroy an engine by upgrading a clutch

All my friends and people I’ve spoke to including mechanics that rebuild some golf R’s with this issue said a weak bearing

That the point of this thread to understand who’s experience this and who to hold accountable for the people who lost there 30k$ cars