GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do I need professional help?

Bdurrell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Z06
At, 70, I cannot control my impulse to buy new cars. I only keep them for a few months and trade them for something new and additionally, exciting.

For example: All trades

2014 C7 Corvette for a 2017 Golf R

2017 Golf R for a 2017 C7 Corvette

2017 Corvette for a 2019 6.4L Hemi Challenger

2019 6.4L Hemi Challenger for a 2019 Golf R

Now want a 2020 C8 Mid Engine Corvette.

I seem to want every car I see. Not rich, just usually have enough cash to add, so not to ever have a payment. Don't think that will work for a 2020 C8 Corvette though. That'll be about $40,000 to be financed and my 2019 Golf R.

Willing to listen to honest, helpful replies, as well as those who will be busting my ballz.

Thanks.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Nope. No problem at all. Just a dude the loves driving cars. You only live once bro. Do it right I say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This, life’s short do what makes you happy!

I’m right there with you wanting a C8, but wouldn’t give up my mk7 (gti mind you) since they’d fill completely different roles and a C8 isn’t exactly daily driver material.

My only advice would be sell each car outright and continue to buy cash slightly used if you can. My dad is sooooo patient with buying (never new, always at least a demo or one year old) & selling he usually drives whatever he wants for free or makes money on it in the end. He buys and sells on average 2-4 cars and trucks per year, and has had at least 4 at any given time for the last 20 years. I can think of maybe twice it cost him anything to put 5-50k miles on something.

Me on the other hand, almost 82k on my 2016 I bought new so if I sold it today I would have lost most of my investment

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you can do that more power to you. Do you have a wife who would be financially okay if you were gone?

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Just my opinion. If it was me, I would try to use my creativity to find new ways to enjoy and appreciate the car I have. If it was financially putting me in a bad way, I would put strategies in place like staying off of car forum enablers and stop looking at other cars. Then again its your money. Lastly, and I hate to say this, that 2020 mid engine Corvette is really nice.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I frequently buy new cars (almost every year) as well and pay cash. I own multiple cars so it's not that I replace a new car every year.

I too just do what I want with my money and hobby. That is why it is a hobby.. as long as I'm having fun who's to say otherwise.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
A person doing this would only need professional help if they are jeopardizing themselves financially like a gambler does.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
At, 70, I cannot control my impulse to buy new cars. I only keep them for a few months and trade them for something new and additionally, exciting.

You remind me of a friend my friend Al, who has a similarly short automotive attention span. And, like him, you're also a repeat offender: you had a C7, traded it for a Golf R, went back to a C7, then later got another Golf R. Al had two Caymans with something else in between. His friends all pointed out that for the money he lost on those he could have bought and kept a Cayman S instead.

I can't imagine anyone here blaming you for lusting after a C8. The only trouble with that is that it's going to be impossible to buy one at anywhere near MSRP for the first year or so.

Still, trading cars is cheaper than trading wives.

Neil

Backtrack2015

Passed Driver's Ed
I think car swapping is all fine provided you get enjoyment out of it and have the cash. If you actually have to finance nearly half of the C8, I’d say that might be a step too far. If financing is just to keep your savings at “sleep-very-very-well” levels, then no problem.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
I'd be a little skeptical of a first year design, especially one that is a such a huge departure from the previous generations, and as mentioned, the year one premiums, but you could do worse.

Initial dyno results are pretty impressive.....

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-chevrolet-corvette-c8-power-dyno/

No way that dyno has a 15% drivetrain loss with those numbers. Mustang dynos can be manipulated and that makes for great clickbait titles for starving carmags. I have seen an S3 with 91 oct. OTS tune lay down 400whp on a Mustang awd dyno :rolleyes:

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
No way that dyno has a 15% drivetrain loss with those numbers. Mustang dynos can be manipulated and that makes for great clickbait titles for starving carmags. I have seen an S3 with 91 oct. OTS tune lay down 400whp on a Mustang awd dyno :rolleyes:

I'm certainly skeptical lol. Chevrolet implied the discrepancy was due to the SAE Certification process. It'll be interesting to see what they put down when actual production cars get into owners hands.