GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Leak Under Warranty with Tune

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
No noticable drip yet. But I do have oil where tranny and bell housing meet. More of a weep.

I would call VWoA

I posted about it about 15k ago. I haven't really given it a great look recently, but no drips that I've seen.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40841

Dealer said at that time they do not repair those and VWOA won't approve repair on those, unless they are dripping oil. Slow minor weeping is apparently acceptable...

Jrb5

Passed Driver's Ed
I posted about it about 15k ago. I haven't really given it a great look recently, but no drips that I've seen.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40841

Dealer said at that time they do not repair those and VWOA won't approve repair on those, unless they are dripping oil. Slow minor weeping is apparently acceptable...

Interesting. I did not know that. I just checked a video of mine and there are drips hanging from the transmission case..hopefully that's enough for repair as I drive on expensive paverstone driveways that have never seen oil.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Dude, be responsible for yo self.

Respectfully disagree.

"Fuck the system. Burger Motorsports." Copyright registered trademark, or I think it goes something like that. Lol. Maybe not.

Only losers use Tapatalk

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Interesting. I did not know that. I just checked a video of mine and there are drips hanging from the transmission case..hopefully that's enough for repair as I drive on expensive paverstone driveways that have never seen oil.

Ah yeah if you have visible drips forming then you're worse off than I, at least last I knew. I'll definitely check mine again before I slap this JB4 on.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
IE Say a brake caliper freezes up. Would a flash tune really be the cause? Yes, And yes, I get it, tune means faster aka harder breaking, but in terms of my MK6 it was not an issue.

This is a good explanation. VW can only void your warranty claim if the problem in question was caused directly by the aftermarket modification. For example: an ECU tune cannot void a warranty repair claim for a faulty power seat motor unless that tune caused the failure.

https://superchips.com/will-tuning-void-my-warranty/

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Against strange paddle shifter shaped divots in the wheel? Yeah, probably.

VWOAs legal team might not recognize superchips' website as gospel on whether or not they should cover repairing an engine that ate some turbine chunks.

Only losers use Tapatalk

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Already spoke with Geico, they said as long as they know what mods were done, they are fine with them.

That statement makes no sense. Taken at face value, you could do anything to your motor - 40 psi of boost with some monster aftermarket turbo, for instance - and they'd be "fine" with it as long as they knew in advance? Ask them to put that in writing. Won't happen.

cb1111

This is a good explanation. VW can only void your warranty claim if the problem in question was caused directly by the aftermarket modification. For example: an ECU tune cannot void a warranty repair claim for a faulty power seat motor unless that tune caused the failure.

https://superchips.com/will-tuning-void-my-warranty/
Where to start?

Let's start with your link and what the aftermarket folks love to bandy about to validate their assertions. They are betting that nobody has actually read the MM warranty act.

The purpose of the MM Act is to preclude "tie in sales" where a manufacturer says "in order to keep your warranty, you need to buy all of your maintenance and parts from us".

In layman's terms, the Act prevents a company from refusing warranty service based on the mere presence of a substantially similar replacement part - so you can go into Autozone and say "I need the replacement brakelight bulb for a 2015 Golf and it doesn't matter if it is a Bosch, Osram or Sylvania bulb.

However, any performance part is not (by definition) substantially similar", so they don't fall under the Act.

As a useless factoid, the MM Act came about because a vacuum cleaner manufacturer (I think it was Eureka) refused warranty service merely because the owner used an off brand bag. In short, the manufacturer must show that the aftermarket part caused, or contributed to, the failure - but remember that the presence of a performance part is not covered, so the manufacturer can say "you have a performance XYZ that caused the failure, so we won't cover it under warranty."

Other consumer laws still require a manufacturer to connect a mod to a failure, but it isn't the MM Act.

Now, a note about "voiding the warranty" - a term that we, dealers and service advisors love to throw around.

There are only a few things that will void your warranty. Water damage, branded titles, cars with so many mods that virtually no part of the car is untouched by a mod and racing.

Years ago, Mitsubishi voided the warranty of a bunch of cars they saw at a track meet and BMW voided the warranty on a car that had been heavily modded and the owner tried to reverse the mods before taking the car in - but left such a mess that it would have taken the dealer forever to figure out what was what.

What we really mean is "the dealer is denying warranty service for that failure based on..."

Accordingly, if your car is tagged TD1 (modified ECU) TG1 (modified DSG ECU - I think it is TG1) or TD4 (evidence of a piggyback tune), the you can assume that the manufacturer will deny warranty coverage on most drivetrain issues - unless the issue is known to happen to non-modded cars as well, but you may need to be persuasive.

If you've modded your lighting, then expect issues with any electrical woes and so forth.

That said, If I had a problem with my car, I wouldn't even think about modding it until I had the problem addressed.

Can we tie an oil leak to a modified ECU? Probably, but there is an equal chance that the dealer will recognize it as a known issue. Do you want to roll those dice?

cb1111

That statement makes no sense. Taken at face value, you could do anything to your motor - 40 psi of boost with some monster aftermarket turbo, for instance - and they'd be "fine" with it as long as they knew in advance? Ask them to put that in writing. Won't happen.
Yeah. Someone might actually want to read what GEICO covers. You won't be impressed and they certainly won't cover a mod that VW has denied.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah. Someone might actually want to read what GEICO covers. You won't be impressed and they certainly won't cover a mod that VW has denied.
Pretty much this.

Insurance companies earn a general profit off of every product they sell. If aftermarket parts turned to 11 were actually covered, the premiums would be pretty close to 1/3rd to 1/2 of the powertrain a year, otherwise, why wouldn't every car enthusiast always just pay for that insurance?

Just because an insurance agent tells you something to sell you an extra $35 a month intangible, the real test won't be until seeing the results of a claim.

Just like a union drive at work: they can make you all kinds of promises, but all they can really guarantee you is that they'll take their monthly fee.....

Only losers use Tapatalk

Jrb5

Passed Driver's Ed

Exactly why I just called Geico. The first person I spoke with was 100% incorrect.

I spoke with a MBI adjuster this evening and he said they will handle the claim the same way the dealership would. If they can prove the modification caused the failure they will not cover it. The interesting part was that they would have to prove it which requires teardown. Assumptions and pointing the finger to the tune technically is not enough IMO as a strong engine can handle 100k miles tuned, but not all engines are created equal.

Again, pay to play. I'll probably still tune after this leak is resolved.

cb1111

Exactly why I just called Geico. The first person I spoke with was 100% incorrect.

I spoke with a MBI adjuster this evening and he said they will handle the claim the same way the dealership would. If they can prove the modification caused the failure they will not cover it. The interesting part was that they would have to prove it which requires teardown. Assumptions and pointing the finger to the tune technically is not enough IMO as a strong engine can handle 100k miles tuned, but not all engines are created equal.

Again, pay to play. I'll probably still tune after this leak is resolved.

Actually, the proof is pretty simple. If the dealership denies warranty coverage, then that is sufficient for GEICO to deny coverage.

All the dealership needs to say is "you've flashed your ECU, so your failure isn't covered" puts the ball into your court to show that the failure was not caused by the mod - something you most likely can't do.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
So.... the jb4 tuning box is completely removable and gets you something like 80% of a tune's benefit. When it's removed, you're safe for all warranty work without risk of being classified as TD1.

As a further benefit, you could even buy a jb4 used, and then sell it on this very forum when you're done with it.

Dealerships want you to maintain your warranty.
VWOA wants to deep scan every car requiring warranty work so they can learn lessons on how to prevent costly failures in the future.
(A few years ago, some Audi dealers were selling tunes turned to 11 "with a full factory warranty" and popping turbos left and right, making lots of money on service work that they were now incentivized to cause. VWOA found out that some of their dealership network was working against their interests, and started keeping track of number of times each ecu has been flashed, and encrypted that part of the ecu. No tuner has defeated that yet)

Only losers use Tapatalk

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm thankful to have a performance minded dealer who will warranty anything not powertrain related regardless of tuning.