GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are Turbo Blankets Worth the Time and $?

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
The University of Texas study costs more than $100.

I'll pay $1,200 to anyone who will build me a brand new GTI.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
You really need to chill. Like your IATs would be with a turbo blanket installed!

Did you look at the link I posted from UoT Austin? That should have enough data to keep you happy for a bit, even though it's not in a GTI.

Yes, I read that article 5 years ago when I was testing a turbo blanket manufactured by Thermal Zero.

Here's a couple other good reads on the topic:

Impact of Turbocharger Non-Adiabatic Operation on Engine Volumetric Efficiency and Turbo Lag (Shaaban, Seume) International Journal of Rotating Machinery December 2011

Heat Losses from the Turbine of a Turbocharged SI-Engine - Measurements and Simulation (Westin, Rosenqvist, Erik Angstrom) – Modeling of Spark Ignition Engines, March 2004

$100 will save me some effort if somebody else will undertake testing the product.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
This might satisfy some folks curiosities:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1DKgBxqE0JEME5wQ1pIc1N5dU0/edit?pli=1

TL;DR: Increases exhaust temp, reduces spool time, negligible increases in oil temps at the turbo.

This was a test done on a big ass diesel engine, with a lean to determine the blankets value for EGR and aftertreatment method efficiencies (which are helped by higher EGTs) as well, but it's still valid.

Also this: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7452545-Mxrider9239-Mk7-Golf-R-Build/page3

Thank you for the resource. Tldr: blankets are good.

From a science standpoint its not 1:1 so i’ll take it with a grain of salt but result conclude the turbo blanket works. Like all things.... i figure they wouldnt sell them if they were bad for your car hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Yes, I read that article 5 years ago when I was testing a turbo blanket manufactured by Thermal Zero.

Impact of Turbocharger Non-Adiabatic Operation on Engine Volumetric Efficiency and Turbo Lag (Shaaban, Seume) International Journal of Rotating Machinery December 2011

Heat Losses from the Turbine of a Turbocharged SI-Engine - Measurements and Simulation (Westin, Rosenqvist, Erik Angstrom) – Modeling of Spark Ignition Engines, March 2004

$100 will save me some effort if somebody else will undertake testing the product.
So do you not see merit at all to a turbo blanket from your vast previous research, or does a GTI somehow constitute a retest because it's not just an air pump like the other engines turbo blankets have been tested on?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Is nobody else concerned about the guy installing a $13 turbo blanket from the second post? I don't know the material costs of these things, but I feel like the correct (read: fire resistant, heat resistant) materials can't be manufactured for so little, even in the magical land of China, where plastic mirror caps with perfect fit cost a mere $30.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Thank you for the resource. Tldr: blankets are good.

From a science standpoint its not 1:1 so i’ll take it with a grain of salt but result conclude the turbo blanket works. Like all things.... i figure they wouldnt sell them if they were bad for your car hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes there are trade offs

eajr

Go Kart Champion
$100 to the person who proves that it improves spool up or lowers IATs on the GTI.

Stipulations: Proof IS NOT "I installed the blanket and saw my IATs drop", nor is it "my turbo spools faster now, I know my car and I can tell if there is a change, it's faster now." Proof IS multiple data logs taken before and after the blanket install under the same conditions where a distinct, consistent, change is observed in the data.

Ready......go!.....These results might take a while...:p

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

Do you have the second article on hand? I don't feel like paying to read it.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

http://www.myaudis4.com/turbocharger-blanket-results/

That's you, I assume?

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
You would be interested in proving they work, but there's only so many parts of the engine bay you're able to Bill Nye at one time. I gotcha.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
A Forge turbo blanket will net more benefit for $50 than some folks paying $150+ for paddle extensions.

just sayin' ....

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
A Forge turbo blanket will net more benefit for $50 than some folks paying $150+ for paddle extensions.

just sayin' ....
But what if they're made of real actual stick on carbon fiber? Can't argue with the weight savings there.

20 bucks from Aliexpress complete replacements ftw baby!

Probably made of radioactive metal thats cheaper to get rid of being sold at that price but whatever. As much as I like having 10 fingers, 11 would be cool.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk