GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Let's see how long my stock motor puts up with this nonsense...

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
As long as no one straps on a 600HP turbo, tunes to full send, grenades everything on their first pull and then starts complaining about the platform, then yeah more power to you.

It's only fun to watch a 500+whp warrior who is up to the challenge and understands the risks.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I think you can add "+ reliability" to that want. Unless your bank account is limitless, a built motor and clutch pack upgrade isn't cheap but should keep you pretty safe for a long time at Ed's power levels. Beyond that, you're well beyond 200% power from stock, and that's asking a lot of any platform.

Engine builds for this platform are significantly more expensive than say a 4G63 or 4B11. The OEM clutch packs are arguably the best out there, APR and some of the guys really pushing the platform have gone back to stock because no one seems to make an upgrade that's actually an upgrade...but when you smoke the OEM clutchs it's cheaper to buy a good used trans than another clutch pack.

Gearsets are $4K and availability is limited. Ported heads are $$$.

It just stops making sense to go beyond about a 135 trap on these cars...the difference between a 135 car and a 140+ car is $15K+ if you're going to do it with a degree of reliability.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
But then you're just a metoo....
I commend you 500+whp MK7 warriors. No it's not the smartest or cheapest, but it's different and not heavily tread path. I find it more impressive than the metoos, especially if you do a lot yourself.
Right on.

Definitely not cheap. Definitely impressive and entertaining to see it. Definitely less expensive if you can do things yourself.

Dropping a car off at a shop with your credit card and saying "Gimme 550+ and 550+ k,thnx"... your metoo post is subliminally urging me to try to connect a Harvey Wienstein meme to this post somehow...

#boughtnotbuilt 140+MPH traps= #metoo

Hoon

Autocross Champion
But then you're just a metoo.

I bought an RS3. metoo
I gutted a honda civic and motor swapped it. metoo
I gave up and bought a Mustang. metoo

boring

I commend you 500+whp MK7 warriors. No it's not the smartest or cheapest, but it's different and not heavily tread path. I find it more impressive than the metoos, especially if you do a lot yourself.
Right on.

It's all sacrifice though Diggs. Chasing big power on a 4 banger for street use gets underwhelming.

You end up with no TQ before spool, lag out the ass, etc.

The aggressive port work, donkey dick cams, sheet metal intake mani's, and massive turbos that work awesome on the track are miserable on the street.

My built 4G63 made peak power at 8300rpm...it was a 120hp car 90% of the time. No thanks, never again for street use.

Now add more displacement, and you can make the same power without the sacrifices.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Engine builds for this platform are significantly more expensive than say a 4G63 or 4B11. The OEM clutch packs are arguably the best out there, APR and some of the guys really pushing the platform have gone back to stock because no one seems to make an upgrade that's actually an upgrade...but when you smoke the OEM clutchs it's cheaper to buy a good used trans than another clutch pack.

Gearsets are $4K and availability is limited. Ported heads are $$$.

It just stops making sense to go beyond about a 135 trap on these cars...the difference between a 135 car and a 140+ car is $15K+ if you're going to do it with a degree of reliability.

amen x2

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
It's all sacrifice though Diggs. Chasing big power on a 4 banger for street use gets underwhelming.

You end up with no TQ before spool, lag out the ass, etc.

The aggressive port work, donkey dick cams, sheet metal intake mani's, and massive turbos that work awesome on the track are miserable on the street.

My built 4G63 made peak power at 8300rpm...it was a 120hp car 90% of the time. No thanks, never again for street use.

Now add more displacement, and you can make the same power without the sacrifices.

I'm not sure why you seem mad against donkeys

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
The gospel of Hoon just caused a few hybrid turbos to be put up for sale and a surge in Evo 9 craigslist searches.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
It's all sacrifice though ....

To be fair, that literally describes any modification to any car. It's always striking a balance of some sort of compromise vs result.
edit: for example, with all the nannies still on, my 70 yo father in law drove my brand new good tire having car in an industrial area on a saturday in mexico at 2.5x the speed limit and raved about it as better handling than the small british sports cars of his youth, and now he hates how my car drives with few mods.... every mod can't be all things to all people.

...the difference between a 135 car and a 140+ car is $15K+ ....

... #boughtnotbuilt 140+MPH traps= #metoo

Lol. Wow... you simultaneously shared a thought with me. Do you feel dirtier yet?

InB4 John posts on the benefits of donkey dicks as cam shafts, or photoshops something only Dali would understand.

Stealing my thunder. Dali was a hack, and I'm a true artist... I am only in it for the love of the art of photoshopping animal genitals.

The gospel of Hoon just caused a few hybrid turbos to be put up for sale and a surge in Evo 9 craigslist searches.
For what this is worth.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7wpUz38-rM 375HP GolfR vs 375HP Evo 9... DSG v Stick.

Last edited:

ImolaSix

If you want 500+wtq or 600+whp, this becomes a very unappealing platform.

These cars are good value up until you get to stock motor limits, at which point other platforms begin to make a lot more sense IMO.
This.

Even if you built a bullet proof dq250 or swapped a dq500, how much can the headifold flow before it starts choking? How much can you port before the walls between the water jackets gets too thin? RS3 becomes a much more appealing platform for big power.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

vw671

Autocross Newbie
This.

Even if you built a bullet proof dq250 or swapped a dq500, how much can the headifold flow before it starts choking? How much can you port before the walls between the water jackets gets too thin? RS3 becomes a much more appealing platform for big power.

Depends on your goals...

600whp/500wtq is easily obtainable on this platform but if your looking for +800whp then yes RS3 for sure.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Depends on your goals...

600whp/500wtq is easily obtainable on this platform but if your looking for +800whp then yes RS3 for sure.

Yep, this is also a very valid outlook on the Golf R: For just a couple grand in parts, these grocery getting hypermiling snow crushing hatchbacks outperform in the summer everything that Lamborghini made before the 2010s.

Again, Kudos to those willing to push and discover the limits of the various parts of the platform for all of our benefit.

ImolaSix

Depends on your goals...

Hence my agreement with what Hoon said...
This is a fantastic platform that will probably be very sought after in the used car market due to the relative ease at which you can attain a high 10/low 11 second car.