GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 issue.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Not on straight pump right? Your car must rip. I thought I was fancy getting 8 degrees at 6k in this heat at 20psi. Been messing with Maestro for 2 days now. Real fun. When are you going to flash that bish? I have a DP going in, then I may experiment with ethanol again.

When you gonna flash that bish?

22ish with 12-13 degrees advance. In colder air, the timing advance will be a couple of more degrees. I've seen 18+ degrees advance at 6,500. I need to get my water/meth injection hooked up so I can see that all the time with even more boost

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Not on straight pump right? Your car must rip. I thought I was fancy getting 8 degrees at 6k in this heat at 20psi. Been messing with Maestro for 2 days now. Real fun. When are you going to flash that bish? I have a DP going in, then I may experiment with ethanol again.

8 is almost concerningly low :/. Different tunes, but I get ~14-15 on a good day and ~10-11 on a bad new mexico desert hot day.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Hmm.. Good to know. I haven't started to edit the timing tables yet to shape the curve. I'll move the slider up and see what happens. You both have DPs also which I'm sure helps. My DP is going in at the end of the month.

No regrets moving from APR. Just being able to raise the timing when you feel like it is really nice. The laptop logging is detailed and fast, but the JB4 logging is so much easier and safer.

8 is almost concerningly low :/. Different tunes, but I get ~14-15 on a good day and ~10-11 on a bad new mexico desert hot day.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
How much control do you have with that? You don't by any chance have access to things slightly deeper in the ECU such as gear ratio maps or out of gear tunes do you?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Nope. The only gearing related tables is the torque request table, which is gear and rpm.

Maybe contact Reflect tuning? Ian seems to be doing some deeper ecu hacking.

How much control do you have with that? You don't by any chance have access to things slightly deeper in the ECU such as gear ratio maps or out of gear tunes do you?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Ian was a bit of a jerk to me last time I contacted him. He is capable of it, but not very nice about it.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Ian was a bit of a jerk to me last time I contacted him. He is capable of it, but not very nice about it.
That sucks. He answered a bunch of my questions but his pricing wasnt that attractive and I wanted to have control of my own car. If you really want it, maybe consider changing from APR to his system and having him throw in the transmission thing?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

This. He was working on figuring out the 2.0 hpfp on Joe's car. He didn't know if it was exactly bolt in or not and I told him everything I experienced with it. What my logs showed, where the issues was exactly taking place and what I was 90% sure the issue was. Probably had 50+ messages back and forth with him about it. I shared videos, cam lobe measurements etc... he then wanted to charge me extra for the hpfp tune because he put a lot of work into it. Yes he did the coding and found the exact issue, but I steered him down the correct path and definitely saved him some hours. He then wouldn't tune for injectors at all unless I wanted to bring my car to him and spend lots if money. What's the point of the hpfp without an injector upgrade? Mk6 gti are hitting over 400whp on the same hpfp on the APR 100 octane gtx28 kit. Then I recommended some guys to him and they all gave negative feedback. He is only interested in working on anything remotely custom if he has your car there. His is20 tune wasn't that impressive to give up the jb4. I know I'm making more power with it. So until someone else comes out with a protune option for the fwd, jb4 it is. I like the control. Maybe I'll stack on something one day, but not anytime soon

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

I'm surprised your seeing that much on the APR tune. Maybe because it's not the is20 tune. Most I've seen peak around 13 at best for timing advance.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

That was on e30. On 93 its around 16-17 psi at best around 6,000 with the same 12ish degrees of advance. The jb4 is definitely down on power a little vs a flash on just 93. It is just able to take advantage of e30 better though. You should be able to do even better with Maestro. I'm jealous because I can't get it for fwd. I'm stuck with just OTS files from Uni or APR. I like the timing advance from Uni to stack with, but an APR stack is proven power. Only one guy I know of pushed the is20 on a Uni stack. He was a 4motion. I think he ran into a torque limiter. It might have just been fueling though. He ran FOL 25 on the stack. I'd be curious to see what would happen though if he pushed it to FOL 35 or 40. This was back before we could figure out how far we could push the hpfp and FOL numbers. He sold the car though

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Melted has a weird APR tune. He's the only APR car I've seen with FP_H numbers in the teens. He said his tune was a very early version of the 1.8 tune?

I pushed my timing slider up and adjusted some of the timing cells in the 5k and up range. I think now that my slider is at 93 (half way on the slider), the timing value the car picks will be half way between the low octane and the high octane value if there is no knock. Probably log it tomorrow night. I'd rather shoot for known good numbers than try to figure it out from scratch. I can't be taking too many trips to Mexico.

Did you guys see Armchair Racer's post on Vortex with the APR 100 octane logs? Go look if not.

TwinDad,

Did you hit up ED recently and inquire again about support for your ECU? Sucks if you can't get it. The JB4 is still super capable if you pair it with ethanol anyway. It's super good as a logging and monitoring device even now that I'm on maestro. The maestro logger is more robust, but the JB4 is safer to use and the display dials are still excellent.

That was on e30. On 93 its around 16-17 psi at best around 6,000 with the same 12ish degrees of advance. The jb4 is definitely down on power a little vs a flash on just 93. It is just able to take advantage of e30 better though. You should be able to do even better with Maestro. I'm jealous because I can't get it for fwd. I'm stuck with just OTS files from Uni or APR. I like the timing advance from Uni to stack with, but an APR stack is proven power. Only one guy I know of pushed the is20 on a Uni stack. He was a 4motion. I think he ran into a torque limiter. It might have just been fueling though. He ran FOL 25 on the stack. I'd be curious to see what would happen though if he pushed it to FOL 35 or 40. This was back before we could figure out how far we could push the hpfp and FOL numbers. He sold the car though

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Melted has a weird APR tune. He's the only APR car I've seen with FP_H numbers in the teens. He said his tune was a very early version of the 1.8 tune?

I pushed my timing slider up and adjusted some of the timing cells in the 5k and up range. I think now that my slider is at 93 (half way on the slider), the timing value the car picks will be half way between the low octane and the high octane value if there is no knock. Probably log it tomorrow night. I'd rather shoot for known good numbers than try to figure it out from scratch. I can't be taking too many trips to Mexico.

Did you guys see Armchair Racer's post on Vortex with the APR 100 octane logs? Go look if not.

TwinDad,

Did you hit up ED recently and inquire again about support for your ECU? Sucks if you can't get it. The JB4 is still super capable if you pair it with ethanol anyway. It's super good as a logging and monitoring device even now that I'm on maestro. The maestro logger is more robust, but the JB4 is safer to use and the display dials are still excellent.

He also posted here. Just look down a few posts. I don't go on VWVortex. I know a lot of members from here are in there, but I hate the forum layout and a lot of the other members are just big D bags. Plus I got tired of reading post after post about roof racks and why they miss their tdi so much.
My next step is to just get the meth installed and see how it does. This car was never intended to be my project car. It all started with that I needed a commuter, it had to have cargo space for 3 year old twin stuff when needed, and I always loved VAG cars, especially the golf sportwagen when it came out. I was thinking maybe a JB1 and call it a day. 3 years later and here I am. When you are a car guy, it's hard not to mod. Even my old minivan had mods. Lol

Fowvaydriver

Ready to race!
He also posted here. Just look down a few posts. I don't go on VWVortex. I know a lot of members from here are in there, but I hate the forum layout and a lot of the other members are just big D bags. Plus I got tired of reading post after post about roof racks and why they miss their tdi so much.

My next step is to just get the meth installed and see how it does. This car was never intended to be my project car. It all started with that I needed a commuter, it had to have cargo space for 3 year old twin stuff when needed, and I always loved VAG cars, especially the golf sportwagen when it came out. I was thinking maybe a JB1 and call it a day. 3 years later and here I am. When you are a car guy, it's hard not to mod. Even my old minivan had mods. Lol

Can I get a witness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ton

Go Kart Newbie

I LOL'd hard on this one. I'm not a big LOL'er.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I LOL'd hard on this one. I'm not a big LOL'er.

Haha. I love that you are back posting again. We all need breaks though. I was off for a bit as well. Is the car still set up the same? Still running the meth? I have the BMS kit, but I just never have the time to get it done