GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant leak?

MikeMK7

Ready to race!
I’m at 25k miles on a 2016 I haven’t touched the coolant. I remember it being much higher than that. Car is completely cold right now if that makes any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knight Rider

Passed Driver's Ed
I got a warning for low coolant about two months ago, so I went to buy some and topped it off, everything was fine after that (or so I thought).

I went to the dealership last weekend for an oil change and they caught a leak in the thermostat housing. It was replaced over the weekend and under warranty.

I have a 2016 with 29,000 miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Definitely seems like people with this problem aren't just the unlucky ones.

19K, had to top up with a small amount.

I assume how many miles you have is more impactful than the age of the car? Or is this the kind of thing that's micro leaking even while not running?

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Definitely seems like people with this problem aren't just the unlucky ones.

19K, had to top up with a small amount.

I assume how many miles you have is more impactful than the age of the car? Or is this the kind of thing that's micro leaking even while not running?

It's the poor design of the thermostat housing because its plastic to a metal mating surface. Even if you replace it with new OEM it'll eventually leak. Gotta get the metal housing from usp.

GhostGTI2

Ready to race!
It's the poor design of the thermostat housing because its plastic to a metal mating surface. Even if you replace it with new OEM it'll eventually leak. Gotta get the metal housing from usp.

Replaced my thermostat housing last month. The problem is NOT that it is plastic, nor is it an issue of a poor mating to the engine...it simply fails internally and leaks from the lower front section (not the mating surface). So while the USP cast housing might not leak, it's probably just designed better internally

I personally haven't seen/read about anyone using the cast housing. You can buy the cast for about $100 more than the OEM, so I guess it's worth trying.

rod_costa

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
I got a warning for low coolant about two months ago, so I went to buy some and topped it off, everything was fine after that (or so I thought).

I went to the dealership last weekend for an oil change and they caught a leak in the thermostat housing. It was replaced over the weekend and under warranty.

I have a 2016 with 29,000 miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same with me - replaced at about 17k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRoads

Ready to race!
The car's coolant system is not 100% free of air, even from the factory. The system is slowly burping itself constantly and will show that in the overflow bottle(over the life of the car). As long as you are not seeking a white film around the connections, liquid coolant seeping or smelling coolant, it's fine. Adding a dixie cup worth of coolant or distilled once a year is not cause for alarm...

Navi

Autocross Champion
that's what I thought until I mentioned it to the dealer and they said they would pressure test it just to make sure. Turns out there was a slow leak and the system wasn't holding any pressure.

Also, which is the metal housing? Anyone have that part number?

GhostGTI2

Ready to race!