Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Kinda like the old days of VR6 vs. 1.8T

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I'm not ranting to anyone on this thread, it just popped in my head. I'm a high school teacher and I have students that say how fast their car is all the time. Drives me nuts. One student in particular claims he'd kick my ass in a race. He drives a G35. I keep telling him to take it to the strip.

Sorry if I sounded like I was aiming my rant at anyone. :D:)
Oh god, there are still those G35 kids? I thought those times were long gone.

PS
Just beat his ass, literally.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Based off some of GTI-Jay's recent posts, I'm think he might be a troll.
I think most of us sin in that respect sometimes. The problem is that some folks take everything that goes on around here waaay too seriously, forgetting we are here to share and learn and just have a good time, not lecture and be lectured to.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
Not sure what you mean by "why you'd want a car to do something as important as making sure you're in the right gear for you"

Last time I checked using DSG allows you to be in the gear you select, just as you do in your MT. There is no difference other than not having the 3rd pedal and it's a quicker gear change. DSG has the extra advantage of also being an automatic if one chooses to use it that way in certain situations. WIN/WIN

:confused:

Yeah i know i've had an automatic before. But you should be able to get the point. I don't like a computer doing my gear changing. I'm guessing in 10yrs time you'll be having the same argument about the steering wheel. Well what's the point of holding it, if the computer can do a better job. :rolleyes:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Yeah i know i've had an automatic before. But you should be able to get the point. I don't like a computer doing my gear changing. I'm guessing in 10yrs time you'll be having the same argument about the steering wheel. Well what's the point of holding it, if the computer can do a better job. :rolleyes:

But a computer is already doing your steering for you. It's not a hydraulic system anymore.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Personally, I think the DSG is just as fun as an MT.

I can see this if they unlock LFB stock so you wouldn’t need a tune. My other car is a CRV and I drive that with both feet operating both pedals: left foot/brake, right foot/gas.

As a die-hard F1 fan, I was thinking the other day how cool it would be to track a sporty car driving that way.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
I've had manuals for the past 20 years. This is the first "automatic" that has compelled me to give it a shot. So far, I have no regrets.

Same here 10yrs ago with the mk5 and when the DSG came out. I was compelled.. Compelled to go right back to a manual cos i knew i was missing out on fun.

the other month, I was in a gti dsg loaner for almost two weeks. Its just not the same experience.

Let us have our moan... MTs are going away, we all know this. America sooner than the ROW, cos only a small percentage can actually drive stick here. It'll be a sad day when that happens. Not enough enthusiasts to keep it afloat and the emission nazis are all breathing down our necks.. Those of you who have the itch to try it out, better get it done sooner rather than later. All you who keep harping about newer tech being better, well i hope you'll all enjoy your automated electric crap cars that are coming to a showroom near you, cos that's where its heading and that's what you're supporting.. Then you'll all be happy with yourselves. Killing off any fun we once had.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Same here 10yrs ago with the mk5 and when the DSG came out. I was compelled.. Compelled to go right back to a manual cos i knew i was missing out on fun.

the other month, I was in a gti dsg loaner for almost two weeks. Its just not the same experience.

Let us have our moan... MTs are going away, we all know this. America sooner than the ROW, cos only a small percentage can actually drive stick here. It'll be a sad day when that happens. Not enough enthusiasts to keep it afloat and the emission nazis are all breathing down our necks.. Those of you who have the itch to try it out, better get it done sooner rather than later. All you who keep harping about newer tech being better, well i hope you'll all enjoy your automated electric crap cars that are coming to a showroom near you, cos that's where its heading and that's what you're supporting.. Then you'll all be happy with yourselves. Killing off any fun we once had.

You are a bitter one, eh?

There are more than just two categories of people -- manual lovers and Tesla humpers. I hate electric cars with a passion for many reasons, but I like my DSG. And it's definitely not the DSG lovers that are killing off the manual trans market.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I hate electric cars with a passion for many reasons, but I like my DSG.

Interesting you say this. I personally would rather have an electric car than an auto gas one and keep my 6MT R as my fun car (which it already is along with my CRV).

Last edited: