GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurodyne DSG Tune vs Cobb EQT DSG Tune vs Cobb 5150 DSG Tune

vw671

Autocross Newbie
I've been running either Eurodyne Stage-1, Stage-2, or Stage-3 DSG tunes on my MK7 Golf-R since September 2017. Hearing the positive feedback on Ed at Equilibrium Tuning COBB based custom DSG tune I decided to give it a shot. If purchased with the $400 COBB DSG license the EQT tune is discounted to $75 ($100 normally).

**** FLASHING ****

COBB DSG flashing versus Eurodyne. COBB is significantly faster probably on the order of 200-300% faster....winner COBB.

COBB flashes over the Accessport which does not have a battery and does not need to be charged as it gets power directly from the OBDII port. Eurodyne requires a Windows PC and the Eurodyne Powertap flash tool...Since my Windows laptop battery is always dead I’ll give the win COBB. If Eurodyne created a Phone app to use with their flash tool it would be much more convenient but no such app exists.

**** DRIVE MODE ****

Drive mode is probably the most important part of any DSG tune and where people will spend most of their time in. Cut to the chase....Ed's custom DSG tune wins hands down over Eurodyne. The EQT tune has a much more progressive ramp up in the shift point RPM relative to the throttle input and speed. With Eurodyne I had to give it much more throttle under normal city driving to get it to shift at a decent 2,500-3000 rpm. With the EQT tune you don’t need to give it very much throttle to shift at higher rpm. Additionally since I live on a steep hill I find the EQT tune to not shift to a higher gear pre-maturely as my Eurodyne did. On the same hill I would routinely have to change to Sport-mode to keep it for shifting.

I find the EQT to behave much closer to how I would shift a car if the car was a real manual car and has a more natural driving experience. It also stays in 5th gear much longer before shifting into 6th than the Eurodyne does. It also will downshift much sooner with less throttle input than the Eurodyne would as well which is really nice.

Due to all of this with the EQT tune I never find myself reaching for the Sport-mode while driving around town. Whereas with the Eurodyne tune I would sometimes pop it into Sport to get the car to rev higher and not to upshift so soon.

**** SPORT MODE ****

The Eurodyne Sport-mode more or less behaves how the factory Sport-mode does. Yes, it shifts are a bit quicker and there is more clamping force but that is true for almost all aftermarket DSG tunes.

By contrast the EQT tune is MUCH more aggressive. It will stay in the 3-4k rpm range much longer even with small throttle inputs. With Eurodyne and stock you can drive around town in Sport-mode pretty normally. Yes it will rev a bit higher and downshift quicker but I didn’t have any problems running around the neighborhood with it. With the EQT I find it actually too aggressive just driving around town, it begs to be driven much harder. But since Drive-mode is much improved I don’t need to use it around town anymore so I don’t think that this is actually a bad thing but I can see personal preference playing in on this. I have not taken the EQT tune to the mountains yet but I have no reason to think at the moment that it would be worst than the Eurodyne tune and most likely better, but time will tell on that point.

**** VENDOR SUPPORT ****

I’ve opened tickets for various reason with both Eurodyne and COBB. In general, I feel COBB is a bit more responsive and more helpful. Eurodyne is not bad by any means but COBB is noticeable better.

**** TUNER SUPPORT ****

It is widely known that you can’t get much of Chris Tapp’s (Eurodyne) time so I’ll leave that alone. Ed @ EQT is very responsive and incredibly helpful. I can tell with working with him he is heavily invested in his company and their reputation.

Last edited:

GhostGTI2

Ready to race!
Thanks for the comparison!

To get the discount, I need to buy the DSG credits from Ed at the same time I order the tune?

Really happy to hear about the behaviors in drive, that's where I spend at least 90% of my time. I agree that ED in drive is just not responsive enough to throttle inputs. It's kinda a slug, or all out...no consistency in between.

I'm curious about the shift the 6th in drive. If you have average/conservative acceleration like a "normal" person might, when will it shift to 6th (in MPH)?

Sport sounds too aggressive for my likes, as even stock and ED seemed to hod the revs longer than I prefer. But, like you...if the drive is good, then I don't see myself using sport much at all.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the comparison!

I'm curious about the shift the 6th in drive. If you have average/conservative acceleration like a "normal" person might, when will it shift to 6th (in MPH)?

I'll have to test this to get you answer. There are many conditions which might influence this so I have to try a number of times to average out a good answer. But in general it seems higher than what the Eurodyne did.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Thanks for writing the detailed review! Its great to see a comparison with other DSG tunes and I'm very happy to hear that you're enjoying my tune. Honestly, getting this DSG tune dialed in was one of the bigger challenges of my tuning career. Mainly because I drive my car daily and I'm extremely picky about how it drives. I spent a somewhat silly amount of time and revisions dialing in the drive mode shift points to my liking.

The idea was to make it feel more like I would drive the car with a manual, and it sounds like you agree :). Since I got normal drive mode dialed in to my liking, I made sport mode more like what I would want on track or back roads. Its not something I ever use during regular driving, as there is really no need. And to be honest, when I drive the car on track or backroads, I'm usually in manual mode. However, I did go ahead and dial in sport so that it would behave as closely as possible to how I would drive the car in manual mode in those conditions. I'll have to see what more people think of it and if I need to revise it to make it a bit less aggressive. But so far I think we're OK.

Enjoy the tune and definitely give me an further feedback!

Thanks
-- Ed

AlienSP

Ready to race!
I've had the EQT DSG tune for 3 days now. For the first time since I've owned the car, I'm able to drive in D without lugging around or shifting way too soon. It's usable in stop-and-go traffic as well. Keep Sport mode the same, it's not too aggressive now that D is fixed. In fact, Sport keeps the engine in the torque pocket. Twisty roads or clover-leafs keep you in the correct gear up until the exit. Neighbors want me to stop Auto-Xing the hood. Well done Ed.

vw671

Autocross Newbie

The earliest I can make my car shift into 6th gear in Drive-mode is at 55 MPH using the least amount of throttle to even be able to get up to 55 MPH.

Second day of use with Ed's Drive-mode is seems even better than the first if that's possible. I definitely do no need Sport-mode for city driving anymore.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Ed, have you put any thought into tuning the R’s HALDEX controller? Or is UM the only option right now?

AFAIK, UM is the only option currently. We don’t have access to it via Cobb.

— Ed

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
[FONT=&quot]**** SPORT MODE ****[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The Eurodyne Sport-mode more or less behaves how the factory Sport-mode does. Yes, it shifts are a bit quicker and there is more clamping force but that is true for almost all aftermarket DSG tunes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]This has not been my experience with the Eurodyne tune. I found that the DSG shifts at a lower RPM then "stock" sport mode did, and shift points are more dependent on accelerator input then just RPM. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Said another way it is less aggressive in sport mode then stock if you are just tooling around town.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It sounds like the Cobb tune is excellent and I have no experience with it. However, when the statement made concerning Eurodyne sport mode is so counter to my experience it leads me to question the rest of review. Let me know if I misunderstand your explanation. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am quite happy with the Eurodyne DSG tune; not sure if that is based on its function as the only thing I have to compare it to is the stock DSG tune. I detested the stock shift points of DSG being too economy in drive mode of shifting too quickly (at a lower RPM) and stock sport mode being too aggressive (not shifting until higher RPM then I would like).
[/FONT]

Last edited:

vw671

Autocross Newbie
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]This has not been my experience with the Eurodyne tune. I found that the DSG shifts at a lower RPM then "stock" sport mode did, and shift points are more dependent on accelerator input then just RPM. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Said another way it is less aggressive in sport mode then stock if you are just tooling around town.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I slightly agree with you..though the difference between Eurodyne and Stock Sport-mode wasn't hugely noticeable to me.