GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tomioka IHX600 VS. EQT Vortex

NH_MK7R

Well, Tomioka and EQT turbos are both made by Zage, so not sure about this one being more reliable than the other. So far one of each has blown on this forum shortly after install. Not trying to sway you against the EQT, it's better for what you want as Hoon pointed out. Nothing wrong with the Tomi though....

I could be totally wrong. It's just anecdotal evidence I've come across. At the end of the day, with equal reliability, I think I'll go with the brand with better customer service in case anything does end up going south. EQT does seem better for what I need too.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
After researching some more I think I'm leaning towards the EQT Vortex again. Seems to fit my budget and be reliable, while still being able to make 500whp. I didn't realize that the graph on their website was in WHP so if it really can make that, I'm happy.

I also read some horror stories about Tomioka and it sounds like they have a good amount of new turbos that blow up. Plus, EQT seems to have amazing customer service while Tomioka's is meh.

EQT seems like the best non-IS38 turbo out there right now. I'm surprised more people haven't discovered it yet.

Ed's dyno does read high, about 7-8% higher than a dynojet.

It is a legitimate 500+whp turbo, but not on E30 and stock MAP sensors...going to take a bit more octane/boost to make a true 500whp.

Plenty of people have discovered the EQT, when he ran his sale he sold 84 turbos in about a month.

pieguy

Ready to race!
Why do you say that?

Tomioka makes a lot of Subaru turbos and the Sube guys only have great things to say about them. I haven't read of a single complaint so far.

I'm planning on big power (near/at 500), so I'm looking at strong turbos. Not very reliable to buy a turbo and run it near or at it's hp/boost limit. Seems like a better idea to get a stronger/slightly larger turbo and run well under its hp rating.

(Not trying to argue, just trying to really consider my options haha.)

Not really sure I agree with this point. Made this mistake with the Boss 600 and am now switching to the EFR7163. Especially don't do this if you don't want to rebuild the engine.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
Dyno testing? If so, any other dyno data on said dyno to comapare (as they can definitely differ).

I'm going to try to after the car is tuned, just need to find a shop in south FL that is available after the car is tuned, if not, then I'll dyno when I get back to central FL

Yeah but you drive an Audi so it doesn't count. ;)

Same engine as the Golf R, so practically the same crap

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
Well, Tomioka and EQT turbos are both made by Zage, so not sure about this one being more reliable than the other. So far one of each has blown on this forum shortly after install. Not trying to sway you against the EQT, it's better for what you want as Hoon pointed out. Nothing wrong with the Tomi though....

how do you know EQT was made by Zage? i never saw it posted anywhere. maybe you're right looks like it i guess: http://www.zageturbo.com/index.php/main/products#/details?cid=11&tid=28&id=583

Crackness1

Ready to race!
I'm going to try to after the car is tuned, just need to find a shop in south FL that is available after the car is tuned, if not, then I'll dyno when I get back to central FL

Same engine as the Golf R, so practically the same crap

Getting tuned at WolfCars? Jeff did my rabbit there back in 2010.

That area of Miami should have a bunch of shops nearby, some of which I would have no doubt can dyno. Otherwise, USP is in Coral Springs, which is on the way up, and they've got a dynojet.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
how do you know EQT was made by Zage? i never saw it posted anywhere. maybe you're right looks like it i guess: http://www.zageturbo.com/index.php/main/products#/details?cid=11&tid=28&id=583

It is. It has been said many times Tomi and EQT is manufactured by the same company. The EQT is spec'd better then the IHX475 though. It makes more power and spools similarly.

In terms of IHX600 compared to the EQT, Ed has tested the bigger housing of the IHX600 with his turbo and it made around 20whp more but sacraficed about 300rpm worth of spool. This isn't really a direct comparison though because don't know how the specs of the IHX600 differ from the EQT.

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
After researching some more I think I'm leaning towards the EQT Vortex again. Seems to fit my budget and be reliable, while still being able to make 500whp. I didn't realize that the graph on their website was in WHP so if it really can make that, I'm happy.

I also read some horror stories about Tomioka and it sounds like they have a good amount of new turbos that blow up. Plus, EQT seems to have amazing customer service while Tomioka's is meh.

EQT seems like the best non-IS38 turbo out there right now. I'm surprised more people haven't discovered it yet.

A good amount?

Anyways the 600 is completely different, to they point they couldnt rebuild my 475 into one.

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie

It is. It has been said many times Tomi and EQT is manufactured by the same company. The EQT is spec'd better then the IHX475 though. It makes more power and spools similarly.

In terms of IHX600 compared to the EQT, Ed has tested the bigger housing of the IHX600 with his turbo and it made around 20whp more but sacraficed about 300rpm worth of spool. This isn't really a direct comparison though because don't know how the specs of the IHX600 differ from the EQT.

thanks guys. now i remember reading that post Diggs gave. you guys are on the ball.