GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alltrack - GTI like fun?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The OP can carry what he needs to remove it. Either that, or tow the car home unless he knows a technician at the dealership real well.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
I don't believe the Alltrack has paddle shifters, could be wqrong
The Alltrack and Sportwagen 4Motion both have paddle shifters, too.

NC006

Thanks everyone.

You got me slightly excited about keeping it now!

JB4 will hopefully give it some pep.

Drader

Passed Driver's Ed
I have an Alltrack and my wife has a GTI, both DSG. Her car is bone stock, mine has a JB4 on 91, plus GTI/R suspension, and 14lb wheels.

I'm gonna go against the grain here: The JB4 Alltrack is NOWHERE NEAR our GTI, even if the GTI is loaded up with passengers to get closer in weight. I worked with George on a map 6. Maybe it's a fuel limitation, I don't know. The JB4 doesn't do anything below 3k and you mostly drive around below this level. I just don't feel the low end snap of the GTI, or even the change in velocity on the freeway. The GTI is just a much more fun car to fling around, even after all my work. I do love my Alltrack, but I would love it more if the wife didn't buy herself a GTI that I constantly compare to.

I have considering going to a flash to get early spool, but I will probably just jump to an IS20 and not mess around. I will probably do a tune then, because I can't pass smog with a bunch of wires hi-jacking the sensors, and I'm not sure the 1.8 will run properly with an IS20 unless you lower the early boost.

Aside from power I do love everything else about the car. It is an ideal size for me, kinda rare, kinda weird; unlimited potential.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I have an Alltrack and my wife has a GTI, both DSG. Her car is bone stock, mine has a JB4 on 91, plus GTI/R suspension, and 14lb wheels.

Aside from power I do love everything else about the car. It is an ideal size for me, kinda rare, kinda weird; unlimited potential.

14lb wheels?! do you not have brake pads, and you're running 13's??

also, i like the last part. "kinda rare, kinda weird, unlimited potential"

Drader

Passed Driver's Ed
I should have said "rims". They are old Mercedes CLK wheels, fully forged, 16". The Westfalia guys "discovered" them! They are getting hard to find as all those old cars have been crushed by now. I paid $50 each!!

Last edited:

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah the 1.8 is the hidden tuner gem of the generation. Paired with AWD and a DSG/6 speed and you can turn the wagons into literal missiles. Personally I do recommend pairing with an is20 (or is38 if you really want to go crazy), as that really unlocks the potential of the block but you should still see good results with a Jb4.

Also don't forget to upgrade your mounts if you ever do a turbo swap. I've seen what Is20 power can do to the factory 1.8 mounts after only a couple months and it isn't pretty.

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!

I'm gonna go against the grain here: The JB4 Alltrack is NOWHERE NEAR our GTI, even if the GTI is loaded up with passengers to get closer in weight. I worked with George on a map 6. Maybe it's a fuel limitation, I don't know. The JB4 doesn't do anything below 3k and you mostly drive around below this level. I just don't feel the low end snap of the GTI, or even the change in velocity on the freeway. The GTI is just a much more fun car to fling around, even after all my work. I do love my Alltrack, but I would love it more if the wife didn't buy herself a GTI that I constantly compare to.

I have considering going to a flash to get early spool, but I will probably just jump to an IS20 and not mess around. I will probably do a tune then, because I can't pass smog with a bunch of wires hi-jacking the sensors, and I'm not sure the 1.8 will run properly with an IS20 unless you lower the early boost.

the 1.8t engine doesn't have much torque lowe end like the 2.0. Getting a flash tune for the stock turbo might solve the problem.

Yeah the 1.8 is the hidden tuner gem of the generation. Paired with AWD and a DSG/6 speed and you can turn the wagons into literal missiles. Personally I do recommend pairing with an is20 (or is38 if you really want to go crazy), as that really unlocks the potential of the block but you should still see good results with a Jb4.

Also don't forget to upgrade your mounts if you ever do a turbo swap. I've seen what Is20 power can do to the factory 1.8 mounts after only a couple months and it isn't pretty.
First: Can you elaborate on the mount? I have is38 so that makes me worry. If you have pics or link to any topic that would even greater.

Second: the 1.8 is a dying breed. Only Alltrack get in from 2019

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah I'm well aware of the untimely demise of the FWD 1.8. Moment I saw the Mk7 Jetta coming exclusively with the 1.4 I guessed that by the time the mk8 rolled around the 1.8 would go the way of the dodo. Though considering the part commonality with the 2.0, and the fact that there were plenty of 1.8's built I'm not really stressing on finding parts down the road (I'm planning on keeping my Mk7 for the long haul).

As for the mounts I was referencing to the experience of Melted Solid on this forum. While I don't have any pictures of the mount on hand, by the time I helped him replace the oem mount the rubber had been physically pulled out of the mounting and had developed a few cracks. As long as you keep an eye on it you should be fine, but I'd recommend replacing the factory mounts down the line. If you do, BFI makes the best ones on the market right now, really can't recommend them enough.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I really like my Alltrack 6MT with Stage one APR 91. I am on the fence about an is20 because of the necessary upgrades to clutch and intercooler. I understand downpipe is not necessary with IS20 but required with IS38. Can anyone jump in here and say that the upgrade to IS20 from stage one is really worth the 3-3500.00$....?
I have always tinkered with cars, this is not my DD, probably put 5-6k a year on it. But, having said that and coming from an Audi A8 4.0 APR with 540 horses...a little more power would be nice! Thanks

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!
I really like my Alltrack 6MT with Stage one APR 91. I am on the fence about an is20 because of the necessary upgrades to clutch and intercooler. I understand downpipe is not necessary with IS20 but required with IS38. Can anyone jump in here and say that the upgrade to IS20 from stage one is really worth the 3-3500.00$....?
I have always tinkered with cars, this is not my DD, probably put 5-6k a year on it. But, having said that and coming from an Audi A8 4.0 APR with 540 horses...a little more power would be nice! Thanks

Definitely worth it over stage 1. If you don't race, stock IC, stock clutch, stock DP with IS20 and APR IS20 software are enough. Stock clutch can hold for 30k miles (if you don't drag race and abuse too much). So you only spend less than 1k$ for this setup. Used IS20 are sold for 300-350$ range

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
It should be closer to $2600 for the IS20, clutch, and intercooler in your situation. And considering you're in Maine, an intercooler probably isn't necessary which brings the price down to $2200. Additionally, the stock clutch will hold the IS20's power for a very long time, especially considering you have the GTI's clutch (I think that's how the alltrack's 6mt works), so likely that $1500 clutch that the 6mt needs won't be something you'll have to worry about for a while. All in all I've spent about $3k on power and supporting mods for my car (doing it a price inefficient way due to availability), and I don't regret any of it.