GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Talk me out of selling my GTI

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXEA189

Ready to race!
OP, is your GTI a manual or a DSG? Just wondering if you come to a stop and take your foot off the brake?

Also, I can't believe @TheFed hasn't weighed in on this post(?).

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Couple of you don't seem to understand that logic has nothing to do with this. Wife has decided the car is unsafe. I'm guessing her next step is to be a huge pain in the ass about it constantly.

She cannot be convinced otherwise. Please don't think this guy came here for advice about how to speak to -his- wife.

When you love a stubborn person sometimes you make compromises because of it. This is one of those situations.

Y'all taking this GTI break-up super hard :p

volks6

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
She cannot be convinced otherwise. Please don't think this guy came here for advice about how to speak to -his- wife.

I guess I still don't understand why he posted in the first place using your logic.

Reboot

Passed Driver's Ed
Gotta love our current legal system, the courts of law are so stacked in favor of women these days that majority of married man are scared of their own shadows. Dude just keep the car, this whole happy wife happy life is a bunch of BS what that really means is that you are a sacrificial lamb on the altar of of her every want and need with no regard for your happiness.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I guess I still don't understand why he posted in the first place using your logic.

So he could rationalize letting go of the car himself. Take note half-way through he starts defending the decision to move into a larger vehicle.

This was like the final step in grief.

Acceptance.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
OP, I'm more interested in your driving technique. Was there more you could have done on time w/ your most recent experience? Catching these things ahead of time and communicating w/ the drivers behind is the key (as obvious as that may sound). It's easier said than done, but you get my point. A nice 2-3 second following distance allows you to brake harder, a lot earlier, while warning others behind you all while giving your self time to get your shit together. Using hazards helps. Sure there are different weather conditions and blind hills that make this a lot harder to nearly impossible to avoid but it's ultimately yours (driver's) responsibility to do your part (not just avoid the car in front of you). And in your case, if it was where you had hard time coming to a stop before rear-ending someone (hopefully you can touch on that situation), I would've played it safe and used the shoulder even if I had the safety net for a complete safe stop.

Your wife's smart and has an excellent point.

Imagine your kids in the rear of that mk6 golf (with pics in this thread). Scary!!!

For these rear end collisions, which are out of your control for the most part (like sitting at a light), I prefer my kid to be forward facing (<age of 2).

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Gotta love our current legal system, the courts of law are so stacked in favor of women these days that majority of married man are scared of their own shadows. Dude just keep the car, this whole happy wife happy life is a bunch of BS what that really means is that you are a sacrificial lamb on the altar of of her every want and need with no regard for your happiness.

Well that's some misogynist garbage If I've ever heard it.

You don't need to come on the internet and get out your dick measuring tape for us.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Forward facing? This is incorrect. I tell all my patients rear facing until 2.

If you are a pediatric doctor and are not telling parents, "Rear facing as long as possible or until the child exceeds the height/weight for a car seat", you are doing it wrong. Science shows us rear facing is vital to lessening injuries.

As the parent of a 2 year old who also had a pediatric doctor (with a 4 year old) in the family, I've done a little research here...

Videos like this one are just about all the evidence anyone should need though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuZFVPv3Rpk

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
+1

I think his spouse is being somewhat unreasonable, but as the saying goes, happy wife, happy life.

I’ve been happier since my divorce, no joke. :D

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
How about a Passat? They are much larger and will seem safer to her?

If you like, I can giver her a ride in my Lotus and then she can get back into the GTI and it'll feel like a minivan.

Status
Not open for further replies.