GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Talk me out of selling my GTI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wedge_Antilles

Passed Driver's Ed
So I had a close call on the highway (again) where traffic was stopped, I had already come to a complete stop and traffic behind me didn't realize that traffic was stopped. They fortunately had the shoulder to stop in, and ended up next to me. I've been rear ended twice in 2 different cars in the last 5 years, I wish I could say it was my fault but I've been just sitting at a traffic light with no where to run.

The HWY near miss was a little frightening. Got me wondering just how safe the GTI would be if an SUV hits me going 30mph.

Over-reacting? Probably. But could use some reassurances from the forum if you have any experience getting hit like that an there being no intrusion to the passenger area.

Mostly worried about backseat (kids)...

Thanks for listening.

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
I got rear ended by a guy in a Range Rover a while back. He jacked up my bumper, hatch, and broke the rear glass, but the car handled it amazing well. I was able to drive off, he broke something in his front suspension and was unable to.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Do what you think is right. Family first. Modern cars are quite sophisticated with crumple zones and the like. Do some research as bigger (although usually is) is not always better, but bigger well designed is better.

I do not quite understand the lack of attention by drivers. This happens more often than it should.

Wedge_Antilles

Passed Driver's Ed

Wedge_Antilles

Passed Driver's Ed
Do what you think is right. Family first. Modern cars are quite sophisticated with crumple zones and the like. Do some research as bigger (although usually is) is not always better, but bigger well designed is better.

I do not quite understand the lack of attention by drivers. This happens more often than it should.

That's where I am coming from. At this point my wife has declared the GTI a single seater. Even fore the latest close call, she doesn't like riding in it and refuses to drive it. Now she doesn't want my kids in it.

As for inattentive drivers, both my recent rear endings have been just sitting there at a light. One thought I should have darted in front of a big rig, the other slammed into the car behind me at around 30 mph that went into my car, which then hit the pickup in front of me. As much as I value my freedom and love driving...autonomous cars can't come fast enough for the majority of people.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
My wife's Expedition EL, since the latest close call she's more or less said the GTI is a single seater...

Bigger is not always better. Here are the NHTSA ratings for both vehicles and overall safety rating of GTI is better than Expedition.

GTI - https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/VOLKSWAGEN/GOLF%2520GTI#safety-ratings-frontal
Expedition - https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2013/FORD/EXPEDITION/SUV/4x4#safety-ratings-frontal

Actual data is better than human perception.

Wedge_Antilles

Passed Driver's Ed
Bigger is not always better. Here are the NHTSA ratings for both vehicles and overall safety rating of GTI is better than Expedition.

GTI - https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/VOLKSWAGEN/GOLF%2520GTI#safety-ratings-frontal
Expedition - https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2013/FORD/EXPEDITION/SUV/4x4#safety-ratings-frontal

Actual data is better than human perception.

I'm more concerned about rear end collision. Being an Expedition EL is 6 feet of length from the rear bumper to my kids seats. It is about 18" longer than the Expedition.

As for front end, the data presented is good and played a roll in how / why I bought the GTI, but it can only be compared across cars of the same class. So GTI vs. GTI compared to Expedition vs. Expedition. The crash test data does NOT take into account Expedition vs. GTI.

The national fatality per mile strongly favors the Very Large SUV.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/general-statistics/fatalityfacts/passenger-vehicles

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I got rear ended 3 years ago when I stopped on the shoulder with my MK6. I had a friend with me and he was not feeling well so I stopped on the turnpike shoulder put the emergency lights and literally in 2 minutes a girl looking to her phone driving a Honda Pilot just drive onto us. Our car move from the impact like 30 feet but miracously we were not harm (except a concussion) the girl broke both her ankles and her left knee...
When we went to the yunk yard the guy that was showing where the car was said, I’ll tell you if it would have been other car (instead of a Vw) you wouldn’t be here...

Attachments

• 784E4D55-B325-414B-8CAD-986154670FB8.jpeg
    784E4D55-B325-414B-8CAD-986154670FB8.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 890
  • 1A4938BA-E4F6-4A10-9C9A-63B7C7C2B97E.jpeg
    1A4938BA-E4F6-4A10-9C9A-63B7C7C2B97E.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 908
  • C18768A1-8617-4B0F-9221-0E5EC0B0FF64.jpeg
    C18768A1-8617-4B0F-9221-0E5EC0B0FF64.jpeg
    459.5 KB · Views: 881
  • 9A7146CF-8223-4A79-8019-8598EBF1BFFA.jpeg
    9A7146CF-8223-4A79-8019-8598EBF1BFFA.jpeg
    621.2 KB · Views: 859
  • 1F3682B0-1029-4F77-AAFB-93E26D731B95.jpeg
    1F3682B0-1029-4F77-AAFB-93E26D731B95.jpeg
    627.8 KB · Views: 889
  • 475AFDEC-0DB9-4905-8749-B5574E1AD825.jpeg
    475AFDEC-0DB9-4905-8749-B5574E1AD825.jpeg
    442 KB · Views: 873

Wedge_Antilles

Passed Driver's Ed
I got rear ended 3 years ago when I stopped on the shoulder with my MK6. I had a friend with me and he was not feeling well so I stopped on the turnpike shoulder put the emergency lights and literally in 2 minutes a girl looking to her phone driving a Honda Pilot just drive onto us. Our car move from the impact like 30 feet but miracously we were not harm (except a concussion) the girl broke both her ankles and her left knee...
When we went to the yunk yard the guy that was showing where the car was said, I’ll tell you if it would have been other car (instead of a Vw) you wouldn’t be here...

Dang, glad y'all were okay. That's what almost recently happened to me (except it was a Ford Edge, not a Honda Pilot) since they were able to go into the shoulder. I'm just sitting in the traffic jam, then started praying since I had no out!

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Dang, glad y'all were okay. That's what almost recently happened to me (except it was a Ford Edge, not a Honda Pilot) since they were able to go into the shoulder. I'm just sitting in the traffic jam, then started praying since I had no out!

Sorry, sorry, sorry I made a mistake it was not a Honda Pilot, it was a Honda Civic?

Attachments

• 7E6CBCD9-62A2-4935-9519-0012A871610C.jpeg
    7E6CBCD9-62A2-4935-9519-0012A871610C.jpeg
    423.7 KB · Views: 858

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
The safety feature of auto braking does have some issues but is getting better every year. This is one item I wish my 2015 GTI had as well as all other cars on road.
Even if it does not get the car to a stop, reducing the impact speed by 20-30mph would be huge. I was hit in the read of my old truck from a stand still 5ft away by a person who did not see me in front of her, parked at a red light. Folder my bumper under but even at that low speed had it not been for my head rest the injury could have been bad. Size does matter in a head on, but good design and safety features also help a lot. The GTI seat is very good and would help a lot in most accidents.

One item to keep in mind is our GTI is built in Mexico but designed in Germany. The Germany that designs cars for Autobahn speeds. Another reason I purchased a GTI was that I wanted a car that would do what I wanted in an Emergency situation. Brake fast, turn fast and handle well so it I could get out of the way, the car would be able to do so better than even my driving skills. That is why I optioned the PP as the larger brakes and LSD are key items that might make the difference one day. Good tires are also a key item. For the kids just buy the best seat you can and keep them in the seat.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I'm more concerned about rear end collision. Being an Expedition EL is 6 feet of length from the rear bumper to my kids seats. It is about 18" longer than the Expedition.

This distance does not mean much in case of rear end collision. What matters the most is the crumble zone in any vehicle which takes the impact and does not transfer the impact into passenger cabin under any crash circumstances. A smaller vehicle can have an effective crumble zone than a bigger vehicle.

As for front end, the data presented is good and played a roll in how / why I bought the GTI, but it can only be compared across cars of the same class. So GTI vs. GTI compared to Expedition vs. Expedition. The crash test data does NOT take into account Expedition vs. GTI.

NHTSA rates every vehicle in the market under same circumstances and the subjective ratings can be compared across vehicles in the market.

The national fatality per mile strongly favors the Very Large SUV.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/general-statistics/fatalityfacts/passenger-vehicles

You are comparing the statistics of the whole segment which meant nothing with respect to GTI. GTI is one among the top safety pics from 2016 - https://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desk...top-safety-pick-award-13-earn-top-safety-pick. I am sure they would not have picked GTI if it had terrible rating for any kind of collision (front, rear or side).

Status
Not open for further replies.