GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Talk me out of selling my GTI

Status
Not open for further replies.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I would never buy a Ford, they have had problems as long as I can remember with safety issues.

More recently IIHS crash tests for the 2013-2017 Ford Explorer and the aluminum body F150 extended cab (pre safety redesign) have been horrible.

Both of these large modern large vehicles had significant safety cage intrusion/collapse.

The F150 Extended Cab was so bad Ford did an immediate redesign and added additional bracing that the crew cab had.

Last edited:

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Take the bus and sit in the middle if you are so worried.

You could get the biggest heaviest "safest" SUV in the world but if it's your time to go it's your time to go. The biggest and supposed safest SUV will get killed by something. Cement truck, fully loaded semi and trailer, even just a normal dump truck unloaded will take one out traveling at speed forgetting to stop for traffic or a light.

Just because a SUV is big doesn't mean it's any safer. You are just a egg in a bigger box.

Also big SUVs can flip and take a football field to stop, 20ft is a big diff.

cb1111

It seems to me that the OP wants to sell his car to keep his wife happy. He should sell it and buy a (less safe but larger) Ford Expedition or whatever is larger.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
It seems to me that the OP wants to sell his car to keep his wife happy. He should sell it and buy a (less safe but larger) Ford Expedition or whatever is larger.

+1

I think his spouse is being somewhat unreasonable, but as the saying goes, happy wife, happy life.

AJK360

Passed Driver's Ed
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8, Dodge Durango R/T, that new Chevy RST? GLA AMG......VW Atlas with an APR tune. Cant say they would handle like a GTI but there are some quick boats out there.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
So I had a close call on the highway (again) where traffic was stopped, I had already come to a complete stop and traffic behind me didn't realize that traffic was stopped. They fortunately had the shoulder to stop in, and ended up next to me. I've been rear ended twice in 2 different cars in the last 5 years, I wish I could say it was my fault but I've been just sitting at a traffic light with no where to run.

The HWY near miss was a little frightening. Got me wondering just how safe the GTI would be if an SUV hits me going 30mph.

Over-reacting? Probably. But could use some reassurances from the forum if you have any experience getting hit like that an there being no intrusion to the passenger area.

Mostly worried about backseat (kids)...

Thanks for listening.
How safe is any car, if a loaded dump truck T-bones you going 50mph? What about a Greyhound bus crossing over the line and hitting you head on? I've never read or heard any talk of the Golf being a risky car to drive around in. Drive safe.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8, Dodge Durango R/T, that new Chevy RST? GLA AMG......VW Atlas with an APR tune. Cant say they would handle like a GTI but there are some quick boats out there.

Explorer Sport with Livernois tune would be another option if you're looking for a large SUV with decent power.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
As someone who has flipped a shitty car and lived to tell the tale, cars are pretty damn safe these days. Especially VWs.

In November 2000 I flipped a 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT. The Goodyear RSA tire blew a hole in it's sidewall 7" long with just 18xxx miles on it. When the tire blew, I was at 75 mph (speed limit 70 on I-75 in FL) and it pivoted the car right into the sidewall of the highway at an angle (think Dale Earnhardt crash if you're familiar), the result was that the car flipped 6x and finally stopped moving 150 feet down the road on its roof. My car was rated fair and poor in all categories at the time and I literally got out and walked away. I have some long term nerve pain due to issues with my neck and had some road rash at the time, but otherwise, I was totally fine. Yes, I realize how lucky I am.

I've known people who have been severely injured in big SUVs in less serious crashes. I've known people who have died in BMWs in a very similar scenario to mine, which are also very "safe" cars.

My point is that, no matter the car, the way the car is impacted and the subsequent reactions are likely what matters most. You will not always be the least safe in a poorly rated car or the most safe in well rated car.

With that perspective, I have a 2 year old, well rated and properly installed Britax child seats in our two MK7s, and no worries about how our child would fare in a crash. Keep your kids in proper child restraints, rear facing if possible, and you should be fine. As was said, you're an egg in a bigger box in a bigger car.

TL;DR: Tell your wife you're keeping your car.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I occasionally express interest in motorcycles to Mrs Mud.....it makes the GTI seem very safe.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
It would be interested to know the safety perception about Cayman and 911. Are these the most unsafe vehicles on road only because they are smaller and closer to the ground.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
That's where I am coming from. At this point my wife has declared the GTI a single seater. Even fore the latest close call, she doesn't like riding in it and refuses to drive it. Now she doesn't want my kids in it.

Then tell her to drive herself, more room for you and less weight in the car = a more fun drive. Take her car when you go on family trips.

This is the second thread I've seen today where a guy lost some things in his wifes purse and needs our help to get them back. If you like your car and want to keep driving it, tell her that. If she isn't happy with your response then we can't help you. Have fun in your new suv under the illusion that bigger = safer. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Last edited:

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
This is the second thread I've seen today where a guy lost some things in his wifes purse and needs our help to get them back.

Hah.

While I agree strongly with the happy wife happy life mantra, I also believe in talking things through when I think there are valid reasons why. OP needs to do this.

Brinker

Ready to race!
God forbid for anything to happen to your kids if you decide to keep your car, you will regret your decision to keep your car for the rest of your life. This is your decision not the forum members decision, if you think it’s the right thing to do then just do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.