GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BFI Stage 1 Engine & Tranny Mounts

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
Anyone running SuperPro engine/tranny mounts?

So I am pretty sensitive to NVH and because my car is a daily driver I try to keep it comfortable. I have shied away from motor mounts for a long time because I was worried about NVH. I even replaced my busted up stock mounts with new stock mounts last time.

Well I like stock mounts for about a day (exaggeration) before they get soft and slop rears it's ugly head. I wanted to go Superpro but after dropping a bunch of $$$ on other mods looked for another option. I ended up rolling the dice on BFI stage 1.

So I just replaced my dogbone bushing with a new factory bushing and run a 034 insert and am very happy with that combo in regards to NVH so I left it as is and did not install the BFI insert provided in the kit.

Having done the mounts prior I open the hood and drop in the BFI tranny and engine mounts.

I am happy to report the mounts are very livable for a daily driver. You do get more vibration in gear at idle (DSG) but not a big deal. You feel a bit more of the engine under acceleration but it is a very tolerable (might say better) NVH. With a DSG under deceleration you do get a bit more NVH just as you stop. Cruising on the freeway or at a constant speed it's like stock.

So very happy with it. I do think had I installed the BFI dogbone insert instead of keeping my 034 insert there would be a bit more NVH.

Just FYI, if installing this kit be sure to get new tranny mount bolts as they are stretch to yield.

So, FAS Tuning has the SuperPro engine/tranny mount kit on sale and it begins to be on the outer edges of my financial pain threshold so wondering if ANYONE (I have been looking around and cannot find a single review) is on them or has any second hand experience to share... I would hate to pull the trigger and find that the NVH is more than current (running a APR dogbone and ECS branded puck currently).

m3lonbr3ad

Ready to race!
So, FAS Tuning has the SuperPro engine/tranny mount kit on sale and it begins to be on the outer edges of my financial pain threshold so wondering if ANYONE (I have been looking around and cannot find a single review) is on them or has any second hand experience to share... I would hate to pull the trigger and find that the NVH is more than current (running a APR dogbone and ECS branded puck currently).

I am running the full set(engine, trans and subframe) of superpro mounts on a DSG. These are the only mounts I have tried other than stock, so its impossible for me to compare to your setup. On a related note I also have an APR spherical pendulum mount.

I have been running just the engine and trans mount for about a month. With just those two, the additional NVH was effectively non-existent. While the engine seemed more planted, running the stock subframe bushing still allowed slop that came from low speed light-throttle parking-lot style driving where you are just nudging-around.

As of this morning I am now running the full set of mounts along with the addition of the APR spherical pendulum mount. I have not driven enough to comment on how the full set responds under a real load or even at low speeds yet. My initial senses are that its quite a bit better. I feel I can comment on the NVH, which I fully expected to increase once you mess with the subframe and pendulum mount; however, I am pretty pleased to say NVH is practically unchanged.

Also, a note on these mounts(this is paraphrasing from a superpro sales manager's response to my questions):
When I was asking around about these, I got a rather frank response from superpro stating that they are costly for them to make, which comes through in their pricing. These sales you see are definitely helping move the product. They also mentioned that they have not decided whether they will continue to produce the kit after supply runs out.

Hopefully, I'll get some driving in by this weekend and will be able to comment further.

---edit after driving a bit---
NVH: so vibrations and harmonics seem just like OEM. Noise... I MIGHT be able to hear my DSG a little more than OEM, but its to a very small degree. I could be wrong about this and its no different.

Something to keep in mind also is that I added an APR spherical pendulum mount at the same time, which should add some NVH over the OEM part.

Normal driving just feels better as does aggressive driving. I didn't do any launches, don't really plan to. Is the improvement worth the cost? That's a hard sell when you consider the price of the mounts and the need to drop the subframe to install the torque arm bushing. I'd say they do about as they claim; offers OEM levels of NVH isolation with a huge reduction in power train movement. I am not sure how "huge", but it feels pretty good.

Last edited:

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie

Get the stage 1 BFI kit but skip the poly insert at the dogbone and use a 034 insert and you will be happy with it.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Also, a note on these mounts(this is paraphrasing from a superpro sales manager's response to my questions):
When I was asking around about these, I got a rather frank response from superpro stating that they are costly for them to make, which comes through in their pricing. These sales you see are definitely helping move the product. They also mentioned that they have not decided whether they will continue to produce the kit after supply runs out.

Hopefully, I'll get some driving in by this weekend and will be able to comment further

I thought I heard the current Superpro mounts are no longer going to be manufactured. Correct me if I am wrong.

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Get the stage 1 BFI kit but skip the poly insert at the dogbone and use a 034 insert and you will be happy with it.

Did you ever try the BFI insert? I bought the whole kit, so I have one coming.

Question on the install...I saw a video where they used a jack under the edge of the oil pan to support the engine. That made me cringe a little thinking about that plastic pan. Is this how you did it?

m3lonbr3ad

Ready to race!
I thought I heard the current Superpro mounts are no longer going to be manufactured. Correct me if I am wrong.

You could be right on that. The email I was referring to was in May, so perhaps that's what they have decided.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie

Question on the install...I saw a video where they used a jack under the edge of the oil pan to support the engine. That made me cringe a little thinking about that plastic pan. Is this how you did it?

I did not use the insert, kept my 034 because I knew it made no difference to NVH.

On the engine side I used a 2x8 to distribute the pressure and placed it directly under the pan. All you need to do is hold the engine up enough to swap out the mounts. No need to add the weight of the vehicle, just the weight of the engine. You will notice as you do it you might need to crank the lack a bit, you will see the mount and make sure it stays level as you undo it.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion

Aren't those like $900? That's absurdly expensive and unnecessary imo, not even worth considering. The BFI mounts are very well made and less than half the price for all 3. If simply installing BFI's inserts to the OEM mounts was an option for me, I would have done it in a heartbeat to save even more money (I think you can do it on the trans mount but not sure how).

Even so, BFI have a nicely constructed engine mount and still have managed to keep the cost reasonable. Don't get what makes Superpro's mounts even worth thinking about at that price. Its not magic....they're just mounts and, as you know, BFI's work great with minimal NVH for stage 1.

I put a block of wood underneath to spread the weight and had no issues. Have done the install a few times (switched from stage 2 to stage 1, went back to replace bolts, etc) and have even had to get a bit more aggressive than simply "supporting the engine" to allow the bolts to thread in/out easily. Don't go crazy but the pan is stronger than you think.

For those even a bit conscious of NVH, I highly suggest the stage 1 mounts. My stage 2 engine mount produced some vibrations but more so a shit ton of noise. Sounded like a bike with a damn soda can flapping at the wheel spokes. Gave it 1K miles to break in and then gave up. Replaced the inserts on the mount with stage 1 inserts and have been happy every since.

Maybe I was unlucky, maybe the install is to blame (although no issues now with same install method), who knows, but damn that engine mount was annoying. Would probably go stage 2 trans mount if I was doing it again but definitely stage 1 on the engine mount. Budget more time for the trans mount install, its a bit annoying. Engine mount takes all of 5 minutes.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Aren't those like $900? That's absurdly expensive and unnecessary imo, not even worth considering. The BFI mounts are very well made and less than half the price for all 3. If simply installing BFI's inserts to the OEM mounts was an option for me, I would have done it in a heartbeat to save even more money (I think you can do it on the trans mount but not sure how).

Superpros here for $600 (got mine for $540 with 10% off coupon), there are a few left:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRC2001-Su...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Last edited:

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
Just from from 034's dogbone to BFI Stage 2. NVH is definitely there, but its definitely not as bad as some people say. Looking forward to going all BFI mounts

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Just ordered the stage 1 motor mount inserts...have had stage 2 engine and trans on the car for maybe 1500 miles and can't stand it.

The vibration is fine, the constant mechanical/engine noise transmitted into the cabin is unacceptable to me.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Did you get the tranny as well?

Car currently has BFI S2 motor mount, S2 trans mount, 034 insert, and ECS billet dogbone.

Trans mount is fine...a touch of DSG whine every now and then but no big deal at all. Dogbone setup has been on the car for 20k+ miles, also completely fine.

Motor mount on the other hand is intolerable to me, so I'm going to swap my S2 inserts for S1.

I don't think it'll be a problem to run the S1 motor mount with the S2 trans mount.

Last edited:

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Car currently has BFI S2 motor mount, S2 trans mount, 034 insert, and ECS billet dogbone.

Trans mount is fine...a touch of DSG whine every now and then but no big deal at all. Dogbone setup has been on the car for 20k+ miles, also completely fine.

Motor mount on the other hand is intolerable to me, so I'm going to swap my S2 inserts for S1.

I don't think it'll be a problem to run the S1 motor mount with the S2 trans mount.

I agree with you 100%. BFI's S2 motor mount is "full race car." If I daily drove mine, I would remove it as well and go to a S1. The mechanical noise is very noticeable.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
After I installed my bfi engine mount, I did the trans the next night. When I took off the oem trans, it went hella out of alignment. We had to crowbar the trans to even barely get the bolts through. Could a slightly misaligned transmount cause any transmission issues over time? I am starting to get a clank when free revving only.