GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Vortex - MQB Turbo

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
this EQT turbo making way more power than I expected on full tilt. This has to be the fastest spooling >400whp turbo for mk7 GTI out right now?

I don’t like to make “most/best” claims but I can say that I haven’t seen another 500whp capable turbo spool like ours.

Thanks
— Ed

CandyR32

Passed Driver's Ed
I run the nt555r extreme drags. Let me know how you like those when you run them. I might get a set of the mt et street r tires

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I Run the MT Street Rs on my Golf R... they are decent but then again im AWD. I have always been a M&H fan do yourself a HUGE favor and go M&H slicks 26/8.5/17 for the track. Drag radials are enough for FWD with this kind of power. :)

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Littco and DBV2 turbos are also very good but cost more money.

I haven’t seen any data on the newer DBV2 turbos... did they significantly improve spool? The older ones spooled about 1000rpm later than ours.

Littco definitely makes a quality product, but I haven’t seen them quite match our spool. The data I’ve seen is fairly limited, however, so I’m reserving judgement.

Thanks
— Ed

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
I haven’t seen any data on the newer DBV2 turbos... did they significantly improve spool? The older ones spooled about 1000rpm later than ours.

Littco definitely makes a quality product, but I haven’t seen them quite match our spool. The data I’ve seen is fairly limited, however, so I’m reserving judgement.

Thanks
— Ed

DBV2 has a triple ball bearing they are testing and have also changed their regular version to improve spool. IMO, your offering still takes the cake for best bang for your buck turbo with great spool.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
hard to compare different setups in different places but I have not seen any dyno charts of any other turbo for this platform spool faster than the EQT setups I've seen. actually not even close from what I've seen at >400whp. EQT seems to spool about 1000 rpm faster than Boss500 too and make more power.

I bet with more timing and more boost probably hit 550whp. Also amazing a stock bottom end GTI can even hold 480whp without becoming shrapnel

will be interesting to see how reliable these EQT turbos are since that is more important to me personally than either spool or peak power. turbos on these cars are a pita

I'll second that M&H slicks at the track are incredible too although the Hoosiers were pretty impressive too even with tiny sidewall for improved gearing

vw671

Autocross Newbie

Thanks
— Ed

Yeah, I guess the revised DBV2 is more rumor-mill at this point. But my opinion on "good" turbos is weighted by number of units in the field, reported failures, and success at the racetrack. I definitely agree that the EQT spools the best that I've seen so far. My point was more that the competition turbos are prices significantly more then the EQT at any performance level. This excludes the VTT which you can't actually buy yet and only installed on one car...LOL.

To be clear I own the EQT :D So I'm just putting it on the table I've not seen another competitively priced option yet.

Last edited:

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
this EQT turbo making way more power than I expected on full tilt. This has to be the fastest spooling >400whp turbo for mk7 GTI out right now?
I'm tracking over three dozen turbo options, in the low forties now. I don't see any one being identified as the best at anything with so many others out there.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Technically 450wtq at 7k is 599whp, right?

I wonder if RR has big enough balls to squeeze it that hard up top :D

No way this turbo will flow that much! But man that would make for a crazy torque curve.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

Real men wind 450wtq out to 7.3k.

railroader

Autocross Newbie

Lol my balls might be big enough but my pocket book isnt to just throw money away like that, hell I haven't even told the wife about buying the mpi kit yet lol

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Euro lower engine cover

hidden

problem solved
Lol she dont look at the motor, she just knows when I'm in the garage for hours working on the car, that's how she usually knows I bought something, like I just order a diesel geek sigma 6 shifter cause my spulen one wore out, and I bought some vwr springs to see if it will help a little with traction and high speed stability