GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Time to do 40k DSG service.

ryohei47

Ready to race!
I might have missed this, but has anyone explained why it isn't necessary to use VCDS for the DSG service when using the measure-fill method?

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
It's not necessary to use VCDS during the measure-refill method because as long as your transmission fluid and the gearbox itself are relatively the same temperature (say around ambient temperature) your volumes will be close to identical (since temperature differences=volumetric differences). It's still recommended you do a gearbox adaptation following service.

Factory drain and refill basically slightly overfills the gearbox at the correct temperatures (max volume needed at operating temperature) using the snorkel to overflow. This makes sure exact volume at the correct temperature is added with no chance of underfilling.

Last edited:

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
One thing I’m not clear on. Is the car supposed to be level and RUNNING when checking volume after the new fluid is added?

DAS_STIG

Banned
One thing I’m not clear on. Is the car supposed to be level and RUNNING when checking volume after the new fluid is added?

Yes.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
It's not necessary to use VCDS during the measure-refill method because as long as your transmission fluid and the gearbox itself are relatively the same temperature (say around ambient temperature) your volumes will be close to identical (since temperature differences=volumetric differences). It's still recommended you do a gearbox adaptation following service.

Factory drain and refill basically slightly overfills the gearbox at the correct temperatures (max volume needed at operating temperature) using the snorkel to overflow. This makes sure exact volume at the correct temperature is added with no chance of underfilling.

This.

The VW procedure is a damn circle jerk. Car at room temp, drain, refill 4.6-4.7L, new filter, done.

No way I'm messing with their procedure. Its a very cumbersome way to do a very simple thing, fill a case with the proper amount of fluid.

I carefully measured what came out, got 4.51L. Most people settled in the 4.6-4.7L range, so I split the difference and added 4.65. think about it, if you're off by .1 that's 3oz of fluid in an entire transmission. Completely irrelevant.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Most dealer techs simply fill the car with 5qts and send it on its way, is what I have learned from said techs.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
If that’s the case is it doing any damage having the extra .3(ish) liters in the transmission?

Not likely. When trans are overfull, the main issue that happens under intense load is that the fluid can get too hot and start to foam, leading to the pump to start sucking air as well as pushing fluid out of seals. But we are talking like pulling a loaded trailer up a huge mountain kind of situation.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Thanks all!

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
This.

The VW procedure is a damn circle jerk. Car at room temp, drain, refill 4.6-4.7L, new filter, done.

No way I'm messing with their procedure. Its a very cumbersome way to do a very simple thing, fill a case with the proper amount of fluid.

I carefully measured what came out, got 4.51L. Most people settled in the 4.6-4.7L range, so I split the difference and added 4.65. think about it, if you're off by .1 that's 3oz of fluid in an entire transmission. Completely irrelevant.

Those are my thoughts as well.

md2185

Passed Driver's Ed
It was exceptionally easy for me to do. I left the car on the floor of my flat garage as you can reach everything you need to without lifting the car. Removed airbox, battery tray, then opened the filter. It is best to do this after the car has sat overnight to let the filter drain so you don't get a big mess. Took the filter out then went under the car and opened up the drain bolt. Let it all drain, then remove the snorkel and wait some more. Once thats all done I used this fluid/filter kit and this funnel to do the change. The end nozzle of the funnel fits directly into the filter port so you can fill it from the top very easily. I put in the full bottles then installed the new filter/airbox/battery and let the car idle for about 5 minutes while switching through park/reverse/drive/neutral etc. Using OBDeleven I monitored the transmission fluid temp and when it hit 35c-45c I removed the main drain plug WITH THE CAR RUNNING and let the excess drain till it was a light trickle. Once thats done close everything up and use OBDeleven to do a transmission recalibration (I just used one of the apps for 10 credits). Thats all there is to it. Took about the same time as an oil change and was just as easy.

Edit: If you use that funnel, pull out the mesh filter in the base of the funnel. This will allow the fluid to go in much faster. It only took around 2 minutes per bottle.

Edit 2: Total cost for me at the end was around 120 bucks vs the 350 a private shop quoted vs 750 the dealer quoted. Very glad I did it myself.

I dont recall where Ive read it before, perhaps the tdi forums, but people were saying use the oem fluid over anything else. Basically stated that non oem fluid, has to be changed a lot sooner then 40K.

Anyways, nice write man.
-Also For the people that fill it from the top; what you take out is what you back in is what I heard? I dont follow how you find out the fluid level of dsg?

DAS_STIG

Banned
I dont recall where Ive read it before, perhaps the tdi forums, but people were saying use the oem fluid over anything else. Basically stated that non oem fluid, has to be changed a lot sooner then 40K.

Anyways, nice write man.
-Also For the people that fill it from the top; what you take out is what you back in is what I heard? I dont follow how you find out the fluid level of dsg?

You measure what you take out and put that volume back in. That's why you should do it when the car is already cooled off so the fluid isn't hot/expanded.

You can also double check by heating the car up and letting any excess over the snorkel drain out. I did this just to double check that I out in correct amount and only had a slow trickle.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
You measure what you take out and put that volume back in. That's why you should do it when the car is already cooled off so the fluid isn't hot/expanded.

You can also double check by heating the car up and letting any excess over the snorkel drain out. I did this just to double check that I out in correct amount and only had a slow trickle.

When I did my service it was like 90 degrees outside adn my fluid wasn't entirely cool after waiting for two hours for it to cool. it wasn't hot , but it definitely was not ambient temperature. Hopefully this wasn't an issue. So far so good after 1000 miles