GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

reuse hardware or new hardware? Lowering springs ~ 7.5k miles

JD-1

Ready to race!
I'm installing VWR springs soon with a friend and I'm not sure if I should buy new hardware or reuse the stuff on the car. My 2018 has 7.5k miles currently.

Thanks!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I'm installing VWR springs soon with a friend and I'm not sure if I should buy new hardware or reuse the stuff on the car. My 2018 has 7.5k miles currently.

Thanks!

New hardware.
Some of the bolts are stretch bolts and are one time use item.
Cost not that high so why risk doing it twice or dealing with noise?

JD-1

Ready to race!
Looks like this is in the min. required hardware

MINIMUM REQUIRED* (for complete front and rear spring / damper job):
•Strut Bearings: 5Q0-412-249-E (Qty 2)
•Front Pinch / Strut Bolts: N-909-548-02 (Qty 2)
•Strut Lock Nut: N-101-064-02 (Qty 2)

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Looks like this is in the min. required hardware

If I have the front redone (to cure some intermittent noise issues) I will do all new front hardware.

Required Replacement Parts:

EVERYTHING** (for those who want to replace all nuts/bolts regardless)
Front:
•Minimum required parts +
•Strut Mount Bolts: N-101-277-07 (Qty 6)
•Strut Top Nuts: N-910-216-01 (Qty 2 – for stock shocks/dampers only)

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I've done them both ways, doesn't seem to make a difference with noise.

Personally I think most of the noise issues are from reusing bearings and mounts, or overtorqing the strut nut. Whether or not the bolts are reused doesn't seem to matter.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I only replaced the following and everything else is good:

Strut Mount Bolts: N-101-277-07 (Qty 6)
Strut Top Nuts: N-910-216-01 (Qty 2 – for stock shocks/dampers only)

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
At 8000 miles I did the minimum plus Strut Mount Bolts: N-101-277-07 (Qty 6). No noises.

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
How are you guys torquing down the strut nut? Are you using a special tool that allows the strut top to go through the socket so you can get your torx in there to hold the strut?

I think I used an O2 sensor socket but can't remember off the top of my head. Been getting clunking noises for the last few weeks and I am thinking of just tearing it all out and replacing everything with new parts (except actual shocks and struts,)

Hoon

Autocross Champion
How are you guys torquing down the strut nut? Are you using a special tool that allows the strut top to go through the socket so you can get your torx in there to hold the strut?

I think I used an O2 sensor socket but can't remember off the top of my head. Been getting clunking noises for the last few weeks and I am thinking of just tearing it all out and replacing everything with new parts (except actual shocks and struts,)

Schwaben makes sockets that allow you to torque the nut while holding the strut with an allen wrench.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I did not replace any of the hardware when I got my VMR springs installed at around 3-4k miles. On colder days no issue but on warmer days the spring makes a light knocking noise when I turn the steering wheel at very low speeds. Kind of annoying but it's not audible outside so I just left it.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I did not replace any of the hardware when I got my VMR springs installed at around 3-4k miles. On colder days no issue but on warmer days the spring makes a light knocking noise when I turn the steering wheel at very low speeds. Kind of annoying but it's not audible outside so I just left it.

Usually the reverse for me, no noise on warmer days. Intermittent noise on cooler days.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion

Look up open faced sockets and/or oxygen sensor sockets like you said.

Other option is a spark plug socket and an adjustable wrench.