GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ford Doubles Down on SUVs/Trucks

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Ford has always been late to the party most times. In 2011 when we were recovering from the crash, they pulled their plug on the Ranger. GM was on a roll with their Colorado for a couple of years and now they are bringing in Ranger & Bronco. Gas prices are not going to be this low for a long time. In a couple of years, people will flock towards sedans & hatches once the gas prices are up and Ford will not have any such vehicles in their portfolio. I am sure their are some MBA minds behind Ford's decisions. But as an automotive market follower, they are repeating their mistakes.

PS: Edge ST just has some cosmetic upgrades with a minor power bump. Its not an interesting vehicle as it looks.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Ah I see it now. Didn't notice the tiny link the first time reading the OP. (Viewing on my phone)

Phones are terribad for this sort of thing sometimes, yeah. But I fully understand the skepticism, it's fairly shocking. At least, to an American brought up on the Holy Church of Detroit.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I think Ford is making a big mistake. If gasoline prices go crazy again and skyrocket they won't have anything to sell.

And do you want Ford telling you what you should drive?

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
I think Ford is making a big mistake. If gasoline prices go crazy again and skyrocket they won't have anything to sell.

And do you want Ford telling you what you should drive?

Like I mentioned and what the link shows that you provided above, I don’t think they are doing this because they want to. I think they are doing it because they think they have to. Probably a tough decision for them as well. They are having some recall issues with some of those sedans that's costing them as well.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Like I mentioned and what the link shows that you provided above, I don’t think they are doing this because they want to. I think they are doing it because they think they have to. Probably a tough decision for them as well. They are having some recall issues with some of those sedans that's costing them as well.

Every OEM have to adapt to the market. But unless they forsee the future, they will bomb big time. Ford did that in 2011 and as a result when the market boomed, they did not have a single mid size truck. Result, GM hit the ball out of the park with Colorado and Canyon.

And the recalls were purely their mistake. Customers cant be blamed for that.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Good for VW I guess? Who am I kidding, they'll all go buy Toyotas, Hondas, or Chevys instead.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
The focus seems to be on developing fuel-efficient (or EV/Hybrid) crossovers and SUVs now. Even if the price of gas goes up tremendously, no one in the USA is going to buy hatchbacks or sub-compacts anyhow.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Every OEM have to adapt to the market. But unless they forsee the future, they will bomb big time. Ford did that in 2011 and as a result when the market boomed, they did not have a single mid size truck. Result, GM hit the ball out of the park with Colorado and Canyon.

And the recalls were purely their mistake. Customers cant be blamed for that.

Every business needs to adapt to their market, car manufacturers are no different. I agree this looks short sighted, but likely not an easy choice by them.

Of course the recalls are the mistake of the manufacturer. Who indicated otherwise?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Of course the recalls are the mistake of the manufacturer. Who indicated otherwise?

It was not directed at anyone but in general. If people are moving away from sedans because of the associated recalls, the total blame is on the manufacturers.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Does anyone else here read this as a company that is at the beginning of financial struggles and is trying to streamline to avoid more future losses, or am I the only one?

From what I read and hear Trucks,SUV's and CUV's are the big piece in the pie. Trucks are the new family car.

Likely someone at ford made a comment that the market is so strong in these areas, one might as well only make them. I doubt the planning would show such a big change.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Great. More vehicles I can't see over or around when I'm parked at a stop sign trying to figure out if there's oncoming traffic with a huge hunk of metal blocking my view.

Can't wait for $5/gal gas to get 50% of them off the road. More satisfying would be after Ford goes to all trucks/SUV's

Disclaimer: our other car is a 3 row suv

Not only that but more cars with headlights shinning in my back hatch from idiots who lift their trucks but do not align the head lights.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
I can't imagine how the Focus ST guys feel.

Agreed. Although I thought I read recently that the Focus will now be made in China and shipped here. I also find it interesting about the abrupt news a couple of months ago of the RS no longer being made worldwide.

adam1991

Banned
I agree about worse than a car, and I guess you are right...usually I think that at least SUVs have off-road capability but that’s not even true for today. Other than a handful of actual SUVs that off-road and are badass, most are bad on MPG, not practical and very expensive.

yeah, that's the problem.

We're using the wrong term (SUV) to describe tall, heavy, space-inefficient passenger wagons whose sole off-road trip is to go up the curb when parallel parking.