GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2019 ZR-1 Corvette

Junebugz_GTI10

Ready to race!
Yea, I think ford right now is approaching their cars the smartest of the US companies. They have the fiesta st, focus st, RS and a wide variety of mustangs that can rival chargers, challengers and corvettes. Dodge and Chevy don’t really have competition for the hot hatches. So if you don’t want muscle or need more than 2 seats you won’t look at those brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodge needs to bring back the Neon SRT! Maybe Chevy can do a Sonic SS??

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Yea I’ve seen that pic before....kinda breaks my brain to see a “corvette” with such a short hood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG, I didn't even think about that!

Thanks a lot, that thought just broke my brain too.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Chevy Nova SS 64'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
There is more to it than this. First, there is a lot of competition with Corvettes. For the past 7 years or so car manufacturers have been in a "horsepower race" and selling cars priced below what the MSRP for a what Corvette is. Starting with the C7's, the MSRP skyrocketed and it was harder to be the common mans sports car like it once was. Like many cars, the C7's don't hold their value, but you can buy a 2 year old one for almost half the cost. Who would buy a new one?

I'm sure demographics have changed and I did look at a C5 Z06 before I bought my GTI, but I decided to pass on that so I could sell my then daily driver and have a 4 door fun car. Like you mentioned, family was the determining reason. That said I am still wanting to buy a Corvette, although this time thinking C6 Z06 because I find them to be a good value and it has 2 doors. No option to take kids with, just the wife and I when grandparents are watching the little ones.

Should have bought one while you can, C6Z used prices are back up into the 40s.

Feelsbadman.

Even the C6 grand sports are holding their value a little too well.

:( feelsworseman.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
I thought I read where it was going to be mid-engine but I don't remember the year.

Pre-production mules have been roaming around for a bit.

With the MSRP climbing on the current chassis and the engineers talking about being at the grip limit of FR layout, it's time.

The demographic for Corvettes now aren't the same as they were even 5 years ago mainly due to the rising price. Rumor has it that when the mid vette comes out the current C7 will still be produced/sold along side the flagship mid engined one.

I came from GM to VW and there are many similarities between the two. I see a lot of people happy with how 'overbuilt' their GTI/R's are, man, no one overbuilds a performance car like GM does. Also, when they make a performance car, there isn't compromise like there is in say the GTI. Made it so they didn't sell a lot of say a Cobalt SS, but the people who scooped one up didn't have to deal with the people who wanted the 'image' of performance but didn't want to deal with the everyday performance quirks.

I'm excited to see where GM is going with the Corvette line, and hopefully it does well enough for them to make something performance oriented that's not a Camaro/Corvette again.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Should have bought one while you can, C6Z used prices are back up into the 40s.

Feelsbadman.

Even the C6 grand sports are holding their value a little too well.

:( feelsworseman.

I was just looking at them a few months ago and don’t remember seeing that high. Maybe when the C8's come out their prices will come down a bit. I’m not in a position to buy quite yet. Currently looking to upgrade the house and the next one will have a 3 car garage. ;)

Have you noticed the prices being seasonal? I know they are with boats. Kinda hard to sell one during the winter so that’s when you find the best deals.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
I was just looking at them a few months ago and don’t remember seeing that high. Maybe when the C8's come out their prices will come down a bit. I’m not in a position to buy quite yet. Currently looking to upgrade the house and the next one will have a 3 car garage. ;)

Have you noticed the prices being seasonal? I know they are with boats. Kinda hard to sell one during the winter so that’s when you find the best deals.

Eh they're only seasonal by say a grand or two.

I am not in the market myself but have always kept an eye out just to roughly have an idea when the time comes how much I'm going to be investing.

The issue I'm seeing in price is getting one that's not a 3ZL. I don't need your crazy dated nav! And things like memory seats are going to be pointless too because the seats, both the regular and the sport seats are red hot trash in them. If you plan on doing any track or autox or even spirited back road driving, you're going to need seats. Like it's almost a safety issue lol, like the base Cobalt seats from the same era have more lateral support, it's sad. So there's the cherry ones that are loaded, then there's the opposite end of the spectrum:

You're buying someone's beat on project car.

Buying someone's trackday car? Fucking win, already has all the things in it I want, but buying someone's boosted contraption...not an LS7. LS3 I'd maybe think about it, and it's not a knock on the LS7's reliability or anything, but that's not a $30k-$45k risk I'm about to take.

In short, finding one that fits the bill and isn't crazy overpriced is kinda hard to do, so you're either paying for something you don't want, or you're shelling money out after the purchase to demonkeyfy it.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Hard to say anything negative about such a capable car but all the black intake scoops are a but much on a Corvette. A Corvette body normally is sleek. This has a few to many openings. If the two on rear fenders were removed it would clean it up. I know likely usable intakes so not an option.
On a darker color would not show as much.

Any scoop that is on the car is functional. It has 12 radiators and the 755HP is a "worse case scenario" meaning when the engine is heat soaked, it'll make 755HP. In better conditions, it'll make upwards of 800+HP.

The Civic Type R comparison is a bit absurd IMHO. GM learned their lesson with the overheating issues they had on the Z06. They ran the ZR1 at VIR for 24 hours straight - just changing tires and adding fuel and didn't have an overheating issue. It also inadvertently broke the VIR lap record during this run.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Any scoop that is on the car is functional. It has 12 radiators and the 755HP is a "worse case scenario" meaning when the engine is heat soaked, it'll make 755HP. In better conditions, it'll make upwards of 800+HP.

The Civic Type R comparison is a bit absurd IMHO. GM learned their lesson with the overheating issues they had on the Z06. They ran the ZR1 at VIR for 24 hours straight - just changing tires and adding fuel and didn't have an overheating issue. It also inadvertently broke the VIR lap record during this run.

Sounds like they stole some of the Camaro ZL1 guys for the ZR1 this time around lol.

No one talks trash on the subie scoops(and STIs don't even have stock oil coolers! On their top enthusiast car!) or the fact that every Evo ever is nothing but a functional vent/hoodscoop.

I thought the type R comapro was a bit much and most of their vents aren't functional. Some people love to hate I guess.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

I have no doubt the intakes all serve a purpose, but air intakes can be designed many ways. The Ford GT has air intakes at base of the buttresses in back and runs up them to the engine I think. Doing this you can not really see the intakes.
I just think they could get air flow without showing everyone where the intakes are. The back end of the Corvette is where I would reduce visible intakes. The front (business end) looks OK with vents.

You mention the Honda and agree this is bad design to make it look cool but intakes are fake. In a way the Corvette which is a much more expensive car, has similar in your face intakes but they work. If one design is bad is the other?