GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best DSG Paddles?

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
If I had DSG I'd go with ST2 or Racingline. I think those big honking red paddles look ridiculous.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Have Leyo. Wanted the ECS Carbon but they are on back order.
Have had the cheap Mk7 Ali ones (they are too big, 1/4 the surface area doesn’t engage the paddle) and the Double Apex Mk6 ones. Those were my fav.

Sent by raven from Castle Black

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Does anyone who has actually added the paddles actually use them more now? (Genuine question)

I added mine early so hard to say I use them more because in the early days of ownership I was getting in the habit of paddle shifting. But I do enjoy using them more and they are easier to use when you have a larger paddle. You do not have to search as much for the paddle when driving. The OE paddle is smaller and set in farther. My extensions clamp/bolt on so they are larger and out a little farther on the wheel.

I do paddle shift about 95% of the time however. When engine is cold I leave it in auto to keep me from driving it harder.

I suggest to anyone find a good extension you like and make yourself use it. Then driving in manual will become second nature.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Does anyone who has actually added the paddles actually use them more now? (Genuine question)

Yes. The stock paddles are inadequate. Many cars with inferior transmissions (BRZ, for example) have much nicer & larger paddles. I like to shift with my pinky & pointer fingers.

Sent by raven from Castle Black

CMARNOLD78

Ready to race!
I added mine early so hard to say I use them more because in the early days of ownership I was getting in the habit of paddle shifting. But I do enjoy using them more and they are easier to use when you have a larger paddle. You do not have to search as much for the paddle when driving. The OE paddle is smaller and set in farther. My extensions clamp/bolt on so they are larger and out a little farther on the wheel.

I do paddle shift about 95% of the time however. When engine is cold I leave it in auto to keep me from driving it harder.

I suggest to anyone find a good extension you like and make yourself use it. Then driving in manual will become second nature.

Thanks. To be honest I have only used in in manual mode a few times since I have had the car. With the existing paddles it has never felt that fun, just kind of awkward. I think replacing the tires is on the list first and then some nice replacement paddles.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks. To be honest I have only used in in manual mode a few times since I have had the car. With the existing paddles it has never felt that fun, just kind of awkward. I think replacing the tires is on the list first and then some nice replacement paddles.

Nothing like paddle shifting.
Shift when you want, engine brake when entering a turn.
To enjoy it more force yourself to do it. Takes 2-3 months but it will feel more natural. Also learn how to use the stick when in manual mode.
The correct way is to not shift in a turn but when leaving a light, making a left turn, the wheel is turned and hard to reach the paddle, just reach down and push the stick up for next gear. Then when wheel comes back around, hand back on wheel. The DSG is a fun transmission. Just practice and you will be in sport manual all the time. Plus big red shift paddles are cool. We'll for me I like them.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Nothing like paddle shifting.
Shift when you want, engine brake when entering a turn.
To enjoy it more force yourself to do it. Takes 2-3 months but it will feel more natural. Also learn how to use the stick when in manual mode.
The correct way is to not shift in a turn but when leaving a light, making a left turn, the wheel is turned and hard to reach the paddle, just reach down and push the stick up for next gear. Then when wheel comes back around, hand back on wheel. The DSG is a fun transmission. Just practice and you will be in sport manual all the time. Plus big red shift paddles are cool. We'll for me I like them.

I drive in M 100% of the time, hand always on or near the shifter. Whenever i get into a fully auto car, i sometimes accidentally shift into neutral and rev the fuck out of the engine, thinking i've just shifted up.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
We have a VW and a BMW. So in manual, I use the paddles.

Cbell3186

Ready to race!