GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Mustangs are even faster!

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
Anyone been looking at the early vids on Youtube? One guy took his 2018 to the track, with just drag radials, bone stock down to the air filter, and ran 11.90s. Forget if it was an auto or stick. With a few bolt-ons, mid 11s easy.

Those of us still on the IS20 will be going bigger, if we want to play. You MK7 guys already in the 11s will want to "continue development", if you like racing Stangs at the track, or roll-racing in Mexico :D

Obsrvr

Ready to race!

Attachments

• You R Correct Sir!!.jpg
    You R Correct Sir!!.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,755

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
The automatic is suppose to put it at 0-60 in less then 4 seconds and now it's offered with the performance package.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I guess that 25hp increase is more than just some marketing BS like with the PP gti's 10hp. And just when my own setup was reaching on par with a stock GT. I guess they're catching on to us hot hatch guys.

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Going off dynos and 1/4 mile runs on a few tests ive seen, Ford might be underrating the power output. I bet its closer to 490hp, The engine is now dual port/direct injection. Also its displacement increased slightly to 5.035 liters due to no longer using cylinder sleeves. Bigger bore-bigger valves. Few other things.

We shall see how it responds to tuning. Im digging it personally.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Going off dynos and 1/4 mile runs on a few tests ive seen, Ford might be underrating the power output. I bet its closer to 490hp, The engine is now dual port/direct injection. Also its displacement increased slightly to 5.035 liters due to no longer using cylinder sleeves. Bigger bore-bigger valves. Few other things.

We shall see how it responds to tuning. Im digging it personally.

Also times are being had with the new 10spd auto. They can run right at 12.0 at sea level on a good track. Add slicks to lower the 60ft times and you are into the elevens. Drop a supercharger on one and 600 to the wheels should be easy.

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
Also times are being had with the new 10spd auto. They can run right at 12.0 at sea level on a good track. Add slicks to lower the 60ft times and you are into the elevens. Drop a supercharger on one and 600 to the wheels should be easy.

600 to the wheels has been easy on a coyote since their release. Anxious to see how the new revision of the 5.0 holds up to boost.

tknj99

Ready to race!
Its an endless game. Before you know it Corollas will be pushing 500hp if you keep your GTI/R long enough ;)
Its lunacy with every other sports car pushing these crazy numbers to outdo the other manufacturer and speed limits still stuck at 35mph, its mostly a waste on the street.. even with my car i find myself plenty over the speed limit everytime i am out without even noticing. I think handling is where its at going forward and I plan to get some better tires in the future to help with that and maybe lowering a bit..

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
About the mustang: the current design could have actually been a hatch if not for the change in classification causing shrieks from typical Mustang purchasers. Take a look next time you see one, hinge it near at the top of the glass. The trunk sheetmetal is very small. Too bad actually because obviously a hatch makes lots of sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hoon

Autocross Champion
If something happens to my GTI, I'll be in a new automagic 5.0 by the end of the week.

I guess that 25hp increase is more than just some marketing BS like with the PP gti's 10hp. And just when my own setup was reaching on par with a stock GT. I guess they're catching on to us hot hatch guys.

Catching onto us? Stock for stock they are much faster.

Bolt on vs bolt on they are much faster.

I'd be so sad if my blown 5.0 made 600whp.

We did a slap on baby Vortech blower on one in 2013 and made 770whp.

Another friend did a wastegated Novi 2200R, only made 730whp but the curve was much better. His car was considerably faster than the 770whp one.

Anxious to see how the new revision of the 5.0 holds up to boost.

I'm sure it will be pretty solid once the tuning hiccups are sorted out.

Coyotes have always been strong motors.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
10 speed auto with tire will be quick. Back in 2011 when the coyote first came out guys with manual 3.73’s were going high 11’s with just tires. Wake up people. A front drive GTI is not a great drag car without $$ spent. Quit judging cars’ total value/performance just off of 60’ times. The first 60’ make or break a 1/8-1/4 miles. Lol...

Last edited:

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Lol at the last couple comments. 100% correct. I was going to say the same thing, but I wasnt in the mood. 600 whp coyote supercharged is very easy.
This new revision should be pretty promising.

And yes the gti is a phenomenal car for what it is. 30+ mpg usuable backseat and hatch. Can trap over 110 mph with just a tune. Great things.

But mustang people are not trying to catch up to us. We can hold up vs stock, but once they mod its game over in the straights. Yes we got couple faster is38 gtis roaming and getting some kills, true. But when they get serious and start slapping on a blower for 650-700 whp, then not so much.
They got a 5 liter engine to begin with. That coyote loves to breath and rev.
The power potential is incredible. Our cars are nice n quick for what they are.
But imo we are not competing nor should we vs bigger displacement muscle cars.