GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni Yellow settings

YoYoCome

Passed Driver's Ed
Let us know how you like it!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Will do! Still waiting for the Koni shocks to come since I just ordered them.

So, where did you guys get your set?

So far, I couldn’t really see any Black Friday deals on Koni.
Cheaper I found is still from Turnersports, but the ceal seems so good it is making me wonder if it’s legit. Anyone order their set from them?

Do you mean Tunersports? That's where I ordered mine from just few days ago and the shocks were shipped.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
If you're like me and track your car somewhat regularly, and since adjusting the rear shocks is a pain, you can try dialing in some rebound on your rear shocks (I'm up to one full turn - 50% stiff), and leave the fronts at full soft for daily driving. When you get to the track, you can quickly true up the front shocks to 50% stiff and balance out the rebound front to rear. At 50% in the rear, and full soft in the front, the ride is very tolerable but noticeably stiff in the rear. However, it's a compromise for flatter handling at the track where the tighter coils on progressive springs come in to play. 50% stiff in the front was brutal for daily driving with my setup. YMMV

Damn, one full turn seems like it would be way too stiff for daily driving, even just in the rear. I'm on ED springs/konis, set them a bit past 1/2 turn from soft on both the front/rear, and its pretty stiff on the road. Feels absolutely amazing in terms of handling characteristics but I do feel every bump and God forbid I hit a pothole.....boom, instant regret lol

Nope, you just have to trim the stock ones. Koni provides instructions in the box on how much to trim with the sport kit, but I know the info is also floating around on here somewhere. You're essentially just cutting the lower section off that has the white plastic ring. Pro tip: use a serrated knife to cut the bump stop. So much easier than a straight blade or xacto knife. A serrated steak knife cuts through that thing like butter.

Are you sure this is necessary? I left mine as is and haven't encountered any issues, at least nothing I've noticed.

YoYoCome

Passed Driver's Ed
Damn, one full turn seems like it would be way too stiff for daily driving, even just in the rear. I'm on ED springs/konis, set them a bit past 1/2 turn from soft on both the front/rear, and its pretty stiff on the road. Feels absolutely amazing in terms of handling characteristics but I do feel every bump and God forbid I hit a pothole.....boom, instant regret lol

Are you sure this is necessary? I left mine as is and haven't encountered any issues, at least nothing I've noticed.

It's more important to adjust your rebound according to your springs. Since you're running ED springs and CDM MK7 is running Eibach springs, you guys will have different rebound settings. And of course everyone's tolerance is different.

As for trimming bump stops, I think ED also recommended trimming them. Theoretically, it makes sense to trim the bump stop. Also, several members on here have squeaking/creaking sound issue when the bump stops are not trimmed.

Frenchyfromfl

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R DSG
Do you mean Tunersports? That's where I ordered mine from just few days ago and the shocks were shipped.

Yes, thank you!

Regarding trimming the bump stops, is that specific to the Koni shocks?

I have watched many VWR springs (which is what I will have) install video and never seen people trimming them.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Trimming is based on the springs not the dampers. I trim the bump stops regardless so I don’t have to worry about it though. (Would personally do for any MK7 lowering spring except DG).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDM MK7

Ready to race!

Oh it's too stiff, no bones about it! But it's a compromise I'm willing to make in order to have the car at 50% front and rear at the race track. Keeping the front full soft calms things down to a tolerable level during daily driving. If I never saw a track, I wouldn't recommend going that stiff in the rear for a minute. I'd probably start full soft and go from there. All about priorities!

Absolutely necessary. As Hammersticks pointed out, the recommendation comes from the spring manufacturer, not the shocks. If your spring manufacturer doesn't recommend it, fair enough, but the Eibach's and others require it. If you didn't trim them and your spring manufacturer did call for it, you might be missing some travel. Not sure what springs you're running.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
So what's the consensus with bump stop trimming, particularly with VWR springs? Is it required? How much to trim off?

BxGTI posted this in a thread earlier this year:

Frenchyfromfl

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R DSG
So what's the consensus with bump stop trimming, particularly with VWR springs? Is it required? How much to trim off?

BxGTI posted this in a thread earlier this year:

id like to know too. I have bee watching a lot of DIY videos on VWR installation, and never seen people saying to trim them.

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I would consider trimming up to the same amount as the drop...if new springs drop an inch, trimming up to an inch. You could try less and then do a little more afterwards. It's possible to trim with the struts on the car.

I've tried setups where the car is riding on the bumpstops. It's tolerable but not ideal and further limits suspension travel, which can reduce your front grip.

Obviously you need enough bumpstop to keep the strut from bottoming out. Something to measure when the strut is off the car.

Frenchyfromfl

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R DSG
Alright, I am about to order a set Komi yellow to install with VWR springs I already have sitting in my garage.

My goal would be to just swap the OEM suspensions with the Koni set up so I can swap them back easyily if needed.

Meaning, I need to order all the other components, I am thinking:
* Front upper strut mounts
* Front bearings
* Front springs isolators
* Front bump stops (could not find the P/N)
* Rear bump stops (could not find the P/N either)

I already have the installation kit that comes with all the bolts that need to be replaced when doing the installation.

Am I missing anything?

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
If you're not disassembling the stock ones, you'll need the dust boots all around. They'll be on the stock shocks. IIRC the rears are ziptied on. Fronts snap onto the shock.

Rears are an easy swap, but the fronts require you to separate the spring and shock.

Regarding the bumpstops...

I ran VWRs (on stock shocks) without trimming the rears, for a couple years. I think since you never even touch the rear shock when installing springs, it's overlooked. Never felt the bumpstops either (never ride with anyone larger than my ~20lb daughter in the back seat).

I did trim when i pulled them to put the yellows in though, for good measure. Not sure i'd have hit them, but rather do it once than need to down the road.

Last edited:

Frenchyfromfl

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R DSG
If you're not disassembling the stock ones, you'll need the dust boots all around. They'll be on the stock shocks. IIRC the rears are ziptied on. Fronts snap onto the shock.

Rears are an easy swap, but the fronts require you to separate the spring and shock.

Regarding the bumpstops...

I ran VWRs (on stock shocks) without trimming the rears, for a couple years. I think since you never even touch the rear shock when installing springs, it's overlooked. Never felt the bumpstops either (never ride with anyone larger than my ~20lb daughter in the back seat).

I did trim when i pulled them to put the yellows in though, for good measure. Not sure i'd have hit them, but rather do it once than need to down the road.

Thanks, guess I didn't think about the dust boots...

Regarding the rear bump stops, I really can't seem to find replacement anywhere. I can only find front ones.

Anyone know the P/N for them?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

YoYoCome

Passed Driver's Ed