GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Koni Yellow settings

YoYoCome

Passed Driver's Ed
I got Koni Yellows and Neuspeed Sport springs for my GTI. I drive on the horrible southern California roads, and have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised. I thought I would leave my fronts on the softest setting. I'm now at 3/4 of a turn and think I can make them stiffer still. The ride quality is quite nice (I'm sensitive to NVH). I think the Konis do not disappoint.

Are you on 3/4 of a turn from softest on both front and rear?

YoYoCome

Passed Driver's Ed
On front. On rear I'm at about 40% from softest.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! Seems like that range is what most people like.

I haven't got mine installed yet, but my setup is VWR springs with Koni Sport and I'll be looking to do:

1 full turn from softest - front
3/4 turn from softest - rear

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI

I haven't got mine installed yet, but my setup is VWR springs with Koni Sport and I'll be looking to do:

Same setup, relatively new car as well. Wondering if I should just keep the stock shocks and struts on until they crap out and hold onto the Koni's or sell them. The stock struts bottom out with the VWR springs currently, wonder if the Koni's will perform the same.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
... The stock struts bottom out with the VWR springs currently, wonder if the Koni's will perform the same.

They won't. Stock shocks are way too soft for that little suspension travel. Koni's are designed for lowering springs.

Something else to note for those on progressive springs with Koni's ... I'd recommend starting the Koni's off a bit softer to start. Since progressive springs tend to ride softer during daily driving (while you're not getting into the tighter coils), and Koni's can go INTENSELY stiff, you might be setting yourself up for a harsh ride. Koni's are generally 10% or so stiffer than stock shocks at full soft, so in order to keep ride quality in check I'd proceed with caution in cranking up the rebound for a daily. Springs like the Eibach Pro Kit, VWR, and others are generally 10% or so stiffer than stock spring rates, so full soft on the Koni's is a good place to start. Koni recommends the same.

If you're like me and track your car somewhat regularly, and since adjusting the rear shocks is a pain, you can try dialing in some rebound on your rear shocks (I'm up to one full turn - 50% stiff), and leave the fronts at full soft for daily driving. When you get to the track, you can quickly true up the front shocks to 50% stiff and balance out the rebound front to rear. At 50% in the rear, and full soft in the front, the ride is very tolerable but noticeably stiff in the rear. However, it's a compromise for flatter handling at the track where the tighter coils on progressive springs come in to play. 50% stiff in the front was brutal for daily driving with my setup. YMMV

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
They won't. Stock shocks are way too soft for that little suspension travel. Koni's are designed for lowering springs.

Good to know, thanks for the tips. I was thinking the same for my setup if I do install it, full soft front and leave rears at 50%. Do the Koni's require a different bump stop than stock?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie

Something else to note for those on progressive springs with Koni's ... I'd recommend starting the Koni's off a bit softer to start. Since progressive springs tend to ride softer during daily driving (while you're not getting into the tighter coils), and Koni's can go INTENSELY stiff, you might be setting yourself up for a harsh ride. Koni's are generally 10% or so stiffer than stock shocks at full soft, so in order to keep ride quality in check I'd proceed with caution in cranking up the rebound for a daily. Springs like the Eibach Pro Kit, VWR, and others are generally 10% or so stiffer than stock spring rates, so full soft on the Koni's is a good place to start. Koni recommends the same.

If you're like me and track your car somewhat regularly, and since adjusting the rear shocks is a pain, you can try dialing in some rebound on your rear shocks (I'm up to one full turn - 50% stiff), and leave the fronts at full soft for daily driving. When you get to the track, you can quickly true up the front shocks to 50% stiff and balance out the rebound front to rear. At 50% in the rear, and full soft in the front, the ride is very tolerable but noticeably stiff in the rear. However, it's a compromise for flatter handling at the track where the tighter coils on progressive springs come in to play. 50% stiff in the front was brutal for daily driving with my setup. YMMV

At least with linear springs, with the lower weight in the rear of the car your overall ride quality is more influenced by rear adjustment than front. I can run anywhere .5 from soft to 1.25 from soft in the front and there is a subtle difference. The difference between .75 from soft and 1.5 from soft in the rear was the difference between comfortable and teeth rattling. Zero soft in the rear felt like I was going to take flight.

YoYoCome

Passed Driver's Ed
Same setup, relatively new car as well. Wondering if I should just keep the stock shocks and struts on until they crap out and hold onto the Koni's or sell them. The stock struts bottom out with the VWR springs currently, wonder if the Koni's will perform the same.

If you already have the Koni Sport then I’d recommend installing them. CDM MK7 provided good points and tips. The Koni Sport will outperform stock shocks pairing with VWR springs.

Great write up on koni yellows:
https://changegears.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/koni-sport-dampers-koni-yellow-review/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great write up and info. Thanks for sharing!

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Good to know, thanks for the tips. I was thinking the same for my setup if I do install it, full soft front and leave rears at 50%. Do the Koni's require a different bump stop than stock?

Nope, you just have to trim the stock ones. Koni provides instructions in the box on how much to trim with the sport kit, but I know the info is also floating around on here somewhere. You're essentially just cutting the lower section off that has the white plastic ring. Pro tip: use a serrated knife to cut the bump stop. So much easier than a straight blade or xacto knife. A serrated steak knife cuts through that thing like butter.

At least with linear springs, with the lower weight in the rear of the car your overall ride quality is more influenced by rear adjustment than front. I can run anywhere .5 from soft to 1.25 from soft in the front and there is a subtle difference. The difference between .75 from soft and 1.5 from soft in the rear was the difference between comfortable and teeth rattling. Zero soft in the rear felt like I was going to take flight.

Yeah, the linear ones definitely do seem to react differently. I remember reading up on your thread when you were getting them dialed in. These Koni's have such a massive range of adjustment. A quarter turn here or there really makes a huge difference.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Nope, you just have to trim the stock ones. Koni provides instructions in the box on how much to trim with the sport kit, but I know the info is also floating around on here somewhere. You're essentially just cutting the lower section off that has the white plastic ring. Pro tip: use a serrated knife to cut the bump stop. So much easier than a straight blade or xacto knife. A serrated steak knife cuts through that thing like butter.

Yeah, the linear ones definitely do seem to react differently. I remember reading up on your thread when you were getting them dialed in. These Koni's have such a massive range of adjustment. A quarter turn here or there really makes a huge difference.

I might be switching over to progressive springs in the spring when I do 034 camber strut mounts. Be nice to find someone local to take a ride with first.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

Let us know how you like it!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Frenchyfromfl

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R DSG
So, where did you guys get your set?

So far, I couldn’t really see any Black Friday deals on Koni.
Cheaper I found is still from Turnersports, but the ceal seems so good it is making me wonder if it’s legit. Anyone order their set from them?