GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox Upgrade Information Post!

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Hi all! Saludos from Spain!

I have the Helix sound system installed on my Golf VII Tsi. I find it a good improvement over the stock sound but I think there is still room from improvement.

Has anyone tried the Helix with better speakers? I thought about upgrading the stock ones to something like Gladen Audio, but as the Helix is apparently suited to work with the stock speakers, I am not sure if it would be a worthwhile improvement or not.

Any ideas or experience?

Thanks!

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

I wrote a little blurb about upgrading your speakers in post #4 here, but we also had someone who did replace their speakers, discussion is in this post:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29118&highlight=helix+speaker+upgrade

Ironblue

Newbie here! Thanks to this thread, I have installed the Helix system without a hitch, except locking the keys in the radio. Installed the "B" edition into a 2018 GTI SE. WOW big difference to me with the sound, improved clarity, increased bass output, and a better soundstage I don't see how reprogramming could make an improvement. Are you sure they finally haven't got the right code from the start on the "B" model. Needed to lower the bass and treble a bit for my taste. I can turn it up until it hurts my ears without distortion. Very pleased. Thanks for starting this thread flipflp.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Newbie here! Thanks to this thread, I have installed the Helix system without a hitch, except locking the keys in the radio. Installed the "B" edition into a 2018 GTI SE. WOW big difference to me with the sound, improved clarity, increased bass output, and a better soundstage I don't see how reprogramming could make an improvement. Are you sure they finally haven't got the right code from the start on the "B" model. Needed to lower the bass and treble a bit for my taste. I can turn it up until it hurts my ears without distortion. Very pleased. Thanks for starting this thread flipflp.

Glad the thread was helpful!

On the "B" units being pre-programmed for a specific vehicle like was claimed by others on the non-B parts, I don't have any information that would say it's changed.

Based on your need to lower bass and treble I would say yours is unprogrammed, as programming seems to effect the EQing where everything can be left flat once programmed.

I have an audio engineering background, so I'd like to think my ears are pretty tuned. On my personal setup before I got the programmer I had to set the EQ really wild to make it sound even OK, and programming changed that completely. I've had mine set flat since.

I'll continued to say that programming is a requirement, even though some people love theirs without any programming. Everyone's ears and tastes are different, but for me it's clear that programming is needed.

amp39

I have re ubícated the unit as I saw the thread about installing it with the spare tire, and I notice a change in the EQ now.

It sounds a bit brighter, so I have to lower the mids and treble a bit.

This are just initial impressions, as I haven’t listened to it a lot since I put back the spare tire....

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Moonray

Passed Driver's Ed
My dealership just installed and programmed my Helix. Am pleased with it. But SiriusXM now sounds awful. It sounded weak before, but now sounds weird, tinny, and unbalanced (compressed I guess). MP3s (320kb) sound great as do CDs. Is the upgraded system simply making clear what a lousy source SiriusXM is?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Is the upgraded system simply making clear what a lousy source SiriusXM is?

Yes. haha Sorry that's a really short answer but SiriusXM is crazy compressed and IMO sounds worse than FM, there's just a ton of programming.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

But SiriusXM now sounds awful. It sounded weak before, but now sounds weird, tinny, and unbalanced (compressed I guess). MP3s (320kb) sound great as do CDs. Is the upgraded system simply making clear what a lousy source SiriusXM is?

I don't like SiriusXM... too much compression. I can see how improving the clarity of one's system might expose compression in music. Still, I'm inclined to wonder if the dealer actually programmed the unit. I see you have a GTI. VW advertises the Helix as being "preprogrammed for Golf/GTI." Wtih that in mind, I doubt the technician even tried. However, many have found some improvement by connecting the programmer and flashing Helix anyway. In my case, the change was small. Perhaps Helix is "preprogrammed" for the two-door? I don't know... just a thought.

Good Luck,

Scott

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Somewhere, possibly in this thread even, it was mentioned that the dongle will show the last programming performed when plugged in. Even if the dealer did plug-in if the last vehicle they did was a GTI that's what the dongle will show although your vehicle won't be programmed as such.

If you can get ahold of the tech that did programming you can ask if they actually "did" it or just verified, if the latter might be worth the trip back.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Moonray

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys. Because of this thread, I repeatedly made a big stink about the doggle programming both before and after and purchasing the car. I had them add extra language to the purchase contract stating they would program it with the doggle. They later advised me they specifically purchased the doggle for my install (they had never done it before, which wasn't exactly reassuring), and they had programmed it to 57. I still didn't entirely trust them until I listened with some high quality sources. The sound is excellent IMO, a big bump up from stock (which isn't bad for stock IMO), and actually better than my Mazda3 which had a full custom system. Very pleased. Sounds better than I thought it would. Actually, the whole car is pretty friggin' phenomenal...

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Thanks guys. Because of this thread, I repeatedly made a big stink about the doggle programming both before and after and purchasing the car. I had them add extra language to the purchase contract stating they would program it with the doggle. They later advised me they specifically purchased the doggle for my install (they had never done it before, which wasn't exactly reassuring), and they had programmed it to 57. I still didn't entirely trust them until I listened with some high quality sources. The sound is excellent IMO, a big bump up from stock (which isn't bad for stock IMO), and actually better than my Mazda3 which had a full custom system. Very pleased. Sounds better than I thought it would. Actually, the whole car is pretty friggin' phenomenal...

That's what I like to hear! It sounds like you did your due diligence, and based on your assessment of the sound I'm sure you were programmed. (so many unintended audio puns :eek: )

Cuzoe's concern and point are well taken though. If proper programming steps aren't taken and the tech saw "57" flash on a previously used dongle, as other's have noted it will flash the code of the last used flash. If this was a brand new dongle and they saw "57" flash it would have only been after coding.

MortenLie

Hey forum users! First off: omg love this forum and all its knowledge!

Aright, so i installed this in my 2013 golf 1,4 tsi 140 bhp yesterday. And, of course, because of my ever-existing bad luck whenever i so much as THINK about something with my car thats not off the line standard, it's not gone as i've hoped. Heres a quick rundown of the issue:

I have no sound. The amp is not lighting up. However, if i turn ignition on or start the car, and THEN run to the boot- and unplug and plug in the wire connector from the amp (white,many pins) everything works perfectly. Wtf?? My part number is 000 051 419 B. In the car is a stock discover pro with mib1. Not retrofitted.

At first i was almost sure i messed up the wiring, so i redid to stock, tested again. Sound ok. Then i triple checked both instructions and the YT videos posted here, only to confirm i had been a good little boy following instructions. Problem still persists.

I've seen another post on here with one guy with the same problem, although his Discover pro MIB1 was retrofitted to a car which had composition media.

Ive mailed Audiotech Fischer, to see what they come up with.
I've also been informed by the parts store in my local VW dealer that after asking support, they have been given the task of contacting me and setting up an appointment for guided fault searching, because the part IS supposed to fit my car.

Any ideas, tips or hints will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Morten Lie

Edit: found the post with similar problem: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37974&page=3 he has clearly solved ot by bying an incredibly expensive amp. I asked audiotech if they would let me borrow one to test.

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Hi Morten, welcome!

I remember the person who had the "turn on" issue with the retrofit, and if I remember correctly his proposed solution was through coding. I'm not intimately familiar with that part of the helix, as far as what the MIB1-2 units do to trigger the Helix, but I assume there is a turn on blip or signal sent through the speaker output.

My theory on the unplug/replug turning the unit on is that the MIB unit notices a short in the speakers (there are codes thrown and triggered for speaker shorts). If not that then it's likely just unplugging and replugging causes the power cycling to trigger an on.

It's promising to hear the dealer sees this as something that needs troubleshooting since your vehicle is one the Helix is designed to work with. Hopefully a software update or something of that nature gets you up and running!

MortenLie

Hi Morten, welcome!

I remember the person who had the "turn on" issue with the retrofit, and if I remember correctly his proposed solution was through coding. I'm not intimately familiar with that part of the helix, as far as what the MIB1-2 units do to trigger the Helix, but I assume there is a turn on blip or signal sent through the speaker output.

My theory on the unplug/replug turning the unit on is that the MIB unit notices a short in the speakers (there are codes thrown and triggered for speaker shorts). If not that then it's likely just unplugging and replugging causes the power cycling to trigger an on.

It's promising to hear the dealer sees this as something that needs troubleshooting since your vehicle is one the Helix is designed to work with. Hopefully a software update or something of that nature gets you up and running!

Thanks for the quick reply.
I believe the user you are referring to is the same as the post i linked? If not i would really like to see it, as it could help me greatly. The guy i linked bought a helix p62 i think it was, and voila, its sorted. Strange, what a stroke of luck he sorted it just like that?

Yeah, this dealer is actually one if the good ones, heh. They of course said they had to check my install, but would not charge me for "pre-checks" if i have done it right. I guess it helps having worked in their auto body repair shop.

One last question: The dongle for the coding that i purchased came without the SD card. I then formatted a card i had lying around, downloaded the code file from www.volkswagen-zubehor.de/soundsystem and tried to code(after extracting to SD-Card), but the dongle flashes NF, which i guess means No Function.

Any ideas? This, of course, was when system was done when the system was working, after a unplug/plug.

Thanks again!

chilly1

With a 2018 I'm really concerned about the B vs non-B question. I only saw one person mention a non-B with a 2018 and they thought it was crap. 2 other people with 2018's got the B version and like it. I would tend to agree with @flipflp expecting they would be compatible, but would really like to hear first person success before dropping $$.

Anyone else with a 2018 get the non-B version?