Regret not buying Performance Pack?

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah man, tell me what I shouldn't own.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Yeah man, tell me what I shouldn't own.

Just saying, if you aren't going to use the car for what it was made to do, a Camry may have been a better fit

RRocket

Passed Driver's Ed
Just saying, if you aren't going to use the car for what it was made to do, a Camry may have been a better fit

Yeah tell that to all the soccer moms driving Jeeps to the grocery store. How about you just don't worry what people are/are not doing with the things they own.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Yeah tell that to all the soccer moms driving Jeeps to the grocery store. How about you just don't worry what people are/are not doing with the things they own.
Tell that to the guy ragging on the rest of us who drive it hard. If he wants that car he can have it, but no reason to chastise the rest of us for using our cars the way they were built to be used.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SlyGtiGuy

For 2017 models, is this even a debate? Going S to Sport is like a $2K difference. For that, you get lighting package, keyless + push start, better brakes, nicer wheels, AND the VAQ differential. How is that value even debatable?

Sure, if you wanna build a high hp track car, get the S and dump an ungodly amount of money into making it a beast. Those few exceptions aside, the whole point of the GTI is value/daily driveability and you lose that when you save $2K off the sport just to dump $4K into an aftermarket LSD, upgraded brakes, and crappier aftermarket xenons for your S.

The people that say they don't need the PP and neither does anyone else....ok, good for you, but some of us actually enjoy driving the car hard. If you don't, great, but others do. Personally, I wouldn't have bought the GTI if I couldn't get the PP and LP. Not worth it to me.

Well I have a question for you and everyone else with a similar opinion, I would like the additional features however there's NO sports available in standard and the S are going for an amazing price around 20k flat, do you really think it's a big deal to buy a wavetrac lsd, and lights ? For me and others in this position what do you suggest waiting till 18s are available and pay an extra 10k? Because personally that doesn't make sense.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Adding an LSD and proper OEM HID, LED DRL's lights and big brakes isn't cheap. Expect to pay $5-7K installed. So, I don't know is it worth it to you? Also the LSD won't integrate into the entire system like the stock unit, so it will perform differently.

The '18's have double the bumper to bumper warranty.....so I'd say the $10K extra (if that's what we are really talking about) isn't far off......and not crazy.

s.hasan546

Passed Driver's Ed

Not really, I could argue all day but real life experience with various cars with snow tires with no lsd, but we’re not here for that.

Also I think not getting the sport and buying a S but upgrading will cost more and not worth it IMO. Sport is a bargain if you want all the extras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Well I have a question for you and everyone else with a similar opinion, I would like the additional features however there's NO sports available in standard and the S are going for an amazing price around 20k flat, do you really think it's a big deal to buy a wavetrac lsd, and lights ? For me and others in this position what do you suggest waiting till 18s are available and pay an extra 10k? Because personally that doesn't make sense.

This is a very good question, one I would have asked if I was buying now instead of a year ago.

Considering that great price for the S, the performance upgrades are not worth it, so you would be right on that. In this specific case, what WOULD make it worth it for me are the lights (+ KESSY). Unless you can retrofit the OEM adaptive headlights easily, your options would be aftermarket reps or leaving them as is (which sucks). Having dealt with aftermarket lights on my previous car, I would NOT consider it an option. No thank you, they almost always are a massive headache that isn't worth the hassle and/or a significant downgrade from the better OEM option.

In your case, I would suggest looking a bit harder. Seems strange you can't find ANY manual Sports? Wouldn't hurt to look out of state too. I picked mine up brand new when they just came out for $25K flat without any VW incentives (did not qualify) so now that the 2018s are ready to come in, I'm sure you can do better. Even if you grab one for $24K, the $3-4K premium would still be worth it to me for the headache saved in retrofitting an LSD, bigger brakes, and living without the LP. Oh, and the keyless system is great, really enjoy it.

If you can't find a good deal on a sport, I would just wait for the 2018s instead of settling on an S. May have to wait a few months for the dealers to realize they're not anything special and give big discounts on them. For me personally, the S makes sense for someone who would have otherwise just bought a golf but got a killer deal or someone who will strip the thing apart anyway to build a track beast. No point paying for parts you're gonna throw away.