GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Does anyone have a basic guide on what I need to pull apart to route the USB harness? Mine should be here tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Does anyone have a basic guide on what I need to pull apart to route the USB harness? Mine should be here tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Pull out head unit, display and cubby Aux is in. Personally, I would wait until you have everything, rather than doing this twice. It is one of the more challenging parts of the install. If you have any Romex house wire in the garage that too works well for fishing cable through tight spots.

From my article:

"Install new USB/Aux harness: You will have to remove the green connector from the large block connector, from front of connector there is a small keep that needs to be actuated and then connector will slide out. The Media In harness which is the yellow 4 pin connector and green connector is tied to the larger harness. Therefore, rather than remove I just put the new cable in, you can tie the old connectors to cable with tape so they will not rattle. The new harness is difficult to fish from the cubby to the infotainment. I removed the side panel and took a bicycle cable shroud, these work great for fishing cabling. If you don’t have one just go to your local bicycle ship and ask for one they have replaced. House wiring cable is also decent, a clothes hanger is likely not long enough. After removing side panel I started from there and went half way through dash, reached up and pulled down to cubby. Now I could tape USB/Aux yellow and green connectors to my shroud and fish up harness to infotainment unit. Green connector will slide into large connector."

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Pull out head unit, display and cubby Aux is in. Personally, I would wait until you have everything, rather than doing this twice. It is one of the more challenging parts of the install. If you have any Romex house wire in the garage that too works well for fishing cable through tight spots.

From my article:

"Install new USB/Aux harness: You will have to remove the green connector from the large block connector, from front of connector there is a small keep that needs to be actuated and then connector will slide out. The Media In harness which is the yellow 4 pin connector and green connector is tied to the larger harness. Therefore, rather than remove I just put the new cable in, you can tie the old connectors to cable with tape so they will not rattle. The new harness is difficult to fish from the cubby to the infotainment. I removed the side panel and took a bicycle cable shroud, these work great for fishing cabling. If you don’t have one just go to your local bicycle ship and ask for one they have replaced. House wiring cable is also decent, a clothes hanger is likely not long enough. After removing side panel I started from there and went half way through dash, reached up and pulled down to cubby. Now I could tape USB/Aux yellow and green connectors to my shroud and fish up harness to infotainment unit. Green connector will slide into large connector."

I already have everything except the port installed. Coded and working. Is there just one screw holding the side panel on?

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
I already have everything except the port installed. Coded and working. Is there just one screw holding the side panel on?

Not sure about that being the only screw, but I recall the panel came off easily.

Then fishing the wire was just too easy and quick (I guess it is tricky if you don't remove the side panel first). I used hanger wire.

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Not sure about that being the only screw, but I recall the panel came off easily.

Then fishing the wire was just too easy and quick (I guess it is tricky if you don't remove the side panel first). I used hanger wire.

I'm probably gonna use an extremely long zip tie. I have used that before with great success on my old 5er so we'll see. I'm guessing it'll be really easy.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Ha. I thought running the USB port cable from the back of the unit to the appropriate low location was maybe the most difficult part of the install tbh. Probably would've been easier if i fished a mirror down to look where i was trying to run the guide wire, but honestly it wasn't too terrible. I found the easiest thing to do was to remove the infotainment unit and display and climate controls (gives you the most space possible) and then go from there. From the display it's pretty much a straight shot through the side of the center and into the back of the brain area.

Rmzhrb

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree - I took everything out as well. It took me 20 minutes until I found a straight path through. I shined a flashlight through the brain area and simply followed the lights.

fejin757

Hey everyone, I'm in the process of doing the conversion and was wondering if anyone had successfully got the MIB1 amp to work with MIB2? I've seen the post from Ghost, regarding coding, but wanted to see if other people had success. Trying to get everything in order before working with Jack. Thanks!

SS92

Car(s)
15 TDI Sportwagen
I’ve been lurking around this thread for a while—thanks for all the great info here. I have a couple of questions before I finish buying parts (sorry if they were previously answered):

1. Can Jack enable NAV in a 2015 SEL (it currently has factory NAV) assuming I buy a MIB2 unit with NAV (3Q0035876). I didn't think this was possible until Rmzhrb said he had this done recently.
2. My vehicle has Fender audio and I don't have experience with VCDS—can Jack perform the coding to use the existing MIB1 amp?
3. Do I need the donor VIN for just the glovebox unit or do I also need it for the screen?

I activated an 8" with Jack on my 2015 TDI. Unless things have changed, Jack had me get an MIB II Amp, he couldn't keep Fender audio with the MIB1 existing amp. I found mine local at a wrecker yard for 250. I still have to list my old MIB 1 amp on ebay or something to recoup a little bit of cash.

Rmzhrb

Passed Driver's Ed
I activated an 8" with Jack on my 2015 TDI. Unless things have changed, Jack had me get an MIB II Amp, he couldn't keep Fender audio with the MIB1 existing amp. I found mine local at a wrecker yard for 250. I still have to list my old MIB 1 amp on ebay or something to recoup a little bit of cash.

Likewise - Jack did require the AMP before he did the activation for me as well.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Coding of MIB I amp to work with MIB II is a relatively new development. But it has been updated in OP, as has every new development really.

In response to the member that you quoted, Jack can activate navigation regardless of what the car came with. I went from non-nav in my TDI to MIB II non-nav with 6.5"... Then from that to MIB II with nav (and 8" screen) so that I could have maps in the AID. The part number mentioned is the exact one I installed. Will need to buy a nav card (if the unit doesn't come with one) but Jack can activate it no problem. NAR V4 was the most recent card I could find, from 2018.

Keep in mind that if tge car doesn't have a shark fin with GPS you will have to install one of the small ones that sits on the dash (or the right shark fin and wiring, but that's not worth the trouble)... If the car already had nav rhen you're golden. For what it's worth my 2015 TDI that did not come with nav had the GPS shark fin.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

SargeMKVI

Semper Fi!
Car(s)
2010 GTI
If you are using OBDeleven, just go into your 5F screen, and change the Fender Audio to Dynaudio. Everything will work as it should.

Hey everyone, I'm in the process of doing the conversion and was wondering if anyone had successfully got the MIB1 amp to work with MIB2? I've seen the post from Ghost, regarding coding, but wanted to see if other people had success. Trying to get everything in order before working with Jack. Thanks!

RC Mad

I've looked through this thread but have been unable to find coding relating to enabling the nav display in the MFD, did i miss it or is there no coding for that?

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Coding of MIB I amp to work with MIB II is a relatively new development. But it has been updated in OP, as has every new development really.

In response to the member that you quoted, Jack can activate navigation regardless of what the car came with. I went from non-nav in my TDI to MIB II non-nav with 6.5"... Then from that to MIB II with nav (and 8" screen) so that I could have maps in the AID. The part number mentioned is the exact one I installed. Will need to buy a nav card (if the unit doesn't come with one) but Jack can activate it no problem. NAR V4 was the most recent card I could find, from 2018.

Keep in mind that if tge car doesn't have a shark fin with GPS you will have to install one of the small ones that sits on the dash (or the right shark fin and wiring, but that's not worth the trouble)... If the car already had nav rhen you're golden. For what it's worth my 2015 TDI that did not come with nav had the GPS shark fin.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Are you saying a non nav mib2 unit can be coded to have nav or that you installed the unit with nav?

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Got sent a different harness instead of the one I ordered. Now to wait 2 more weeks to possibly get the wrong part. I'm pissed.