GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

zigrow

Passed Driver's Ed
Got sent a different harness instead of the one I ordered. Now to wait 2 more weeks to possibly get the wrong part. I'm pissed.

The part number that's been given to order the whole assembly from China is just the OEM part number for the port in the cubby if you go through VW. Does anyone have the actual part number of the USB/AUX wiring harness on hand? Can you even get the OEM harness?

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
The part number that's been given to order the whole assembly from China is just the OEM part number for the port in the cubby if you go through VW. Does anyone have the actual part number of the USB/AUX wiring harness on hand? Can you even get the OEM harness?

I ordered the correct thing I got sent a 510 bluetooth module harness for a mk5 or mk6.

zigrow

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep. I understood you. Guess I shouldn't have quoted you. I'm just wondering about the part # for the individual harness.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie

You can get the harness and parts department can help you with getting it. But I did try this route at first and the harness has since been separated into 3 different pieces and adding up to ~$100 for just the harness alone. That being said, I see no point in paying that much for the exact same wire harness that you get from China. If you happen to have the usb piece without the harness, I have gotten an eBay seller to sell to me for $20 by just messaging them (I had gotten the oem usb piece from the dealer)

zigrow

Passed Driver's Ed
You can get the harness and parts department can help you with getting it. But I did try this route at first and the harness has since been separated into 3 different pieces and adding up to ~$100 for just the harness alone. That being said, I see no point in paying that much for the exact same wire harness that you get from China. If you happen to have the usb piece without the harness, I have gotten an eBay seller to sell to me for $20 by just messaging them (I had gotten the oem usb piece from the dealer)

Thanks for this. The port is like 12.95 plus tax at my local dealer so that might work out to be cheaper if I can source the harness like you said.

Boondock

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI S
I have a local guy who upgraded to a crazy Alpine unit and is offering me his MIBII screen and brain for $250.

His unit has NAV and he had a fender system. I have a 2015 S with the basic bitch radio & speakers. Other than a FEC code for nav it should be the same swap as normal, right? No additional hardware? Should be able to code it to work with my base setup?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I have a local guy who upgraded to a crazy Alpine unit and is offering me his MIBII screen and brain for $250.

His unit has NAV and he had a fender system. I have a 2015 S with the basic bitch radio & speakers. Other than a FEC code for nav it should be the same swap as normal, right? No additional hardware? Should be able to code it to work with my base setup?
You may need to pick up a GPS antenna. My 15 TDI had the right shark fin but there are antenna part numbers that do not have GPS. I don't know when/if VW started fitting different ones to match the car's options. The small dash antennas are cheap so may be worth having on hand just in case.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

warpigroadkill

I have a Japanese mk7R in the UK and wanted to know how to change the software/firmware over to EU? I can't seem to find it online and the dealership won't touch the infotainment at my local one. I've been told it's just a software change to get the EU maps working. Any help would be awesome.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I have a Japanese mk7R in the UK and wanted to know how to change the software/firmware over to EU? I can't seem to find it online and the dealership won't touch the infotainment at my local one. I've been told it's just a software change to get the EU maps working. Any help would be awesome.

If my memory serves me correctly I’m pretty sure it can’t be done, you would need to fit an EU mib2 unit in the glove box.

Rmzhrb

Passed Driver's Ed

You can try your luck with Jack. Just make sure you have a VAS cable and a NAV SD card. You will need those if you plan on switching the MIB unit anyways.

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Recently got my hands on what is supposedly 2018 MIB2 Software. It’s packed into a .7z file and unpacks into .bin files. No clue how to use it to update my head unit though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Recently got my hands on what is supposedly 2018 MIB2 Software. It’s packed into a .7z file and unpacks into .bin files. No clue how to use it to update my head unit though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could try loading it onto an SD card, and hitting update firmware.

zigrow

Passed Driver's Ed
I recently purchased a head unit and display from autosalvage. I don't have the VAS cable yet. Can I hook them both up in the car to test functionality and go back to my MIB1 head unit and display without any outside assistance?