GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Did You Drive Before You Drove A MKVII Golf, GTI or R?

Nrappa

Ready to race!
My last car was a 2005 Honda Accord, before that a 2005 Mazda 6 (god I loved that car) came to the GTI because I always found it to be a cool car, and had driven one a few years prior and liked it. So fast forward two year later,
My Honda was over 200k miles and she was ready to go. After driving many different cars, and my dad begging me to make a more "responsible choice" (he wanted to me lease a corolla or something like that until I was out of school) I settled with the GTI. Couldn't be happier with my decision, just as fast, if not faster than a challenger R/T and get twice the miles to the gallon. Still costs me most my paycheck though [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Love this thread!

My first car was a 1993 Honda Accord ex coupe.
I bought it already converted from auto to manual. It also had a h22a4 from a 01 prelude installed in it. Upgraded the tokico blues to koni yellows and got the proper ground control sleeves installed on it. Fun car, but the original owner beat the crap out of that thing. It had to go when I found a new job...

2nd car: 99 civic ex coupe. Only mods I did was a s2000 muffler and polyurethane shifter bushings. I bought it with 160k miles and sold it with 185k miles after some crazy driver went all road rage on me for not speeding up fast enough on the highway. Note I was going WOT getting out from behind a slow moving 18 wheeler in the right lane.

3rd car: I searched for a bit and found a car I loved when I worked for a local Honda dealer. 06 Accord Ex sedan with a 2.4l 4 banger and a Uber rare manual transmission. Only mods was a sound system. It went bye bye when my job had me driving for hours on end and my knees cramped up after long drives. I really always thought about hind sight with this car. I seemed to regret not checking out a mk5 GTI.

4th car: 2011 Golf TDI 6mt. With lots of driving I figured I would try out a diesel. Great choice and one of the best cars I've ever owned. It's one of those cars where I realized I should have been driving them to begin with. More than enough legroom and headroom. Way more than I've dealt with in the Hondas. Mpgs averaged 42mpg! Mods: 35% tint, golf R led tail-lights, diesel geek sigma 6 shifter and APR shifter bracket. Also got a KermaTDI tune that was fantastic! Then Dieselgate hit the fan. I knew exactly what I was going to buy as soon as I heard about the buyback

Which brings me to my current car...
Number 5: 2017 pure white GTI Sport trim 6mt.
Transferred the shifter over from my old golf got ceramic tint installed within the first week of ownership.

The mk7 is my favorite so far. No car envy either. There's seriously no other current car for the same price that I would want.

There are a few other classes I'd love to own. Namely a e39 m5, but the maintenance costs scare me away :eek:

seavw

GTI was a surprise buy for me two months ago -- went in looking at the new Golf wagon so I could tow the 17' Thistle (racing sailboat). But loved the GTI after one test drive and have kept the subie for towing for now (though may put aftermarket hitch on the GTI sometime). In reverse order:

2014 Subaru Outback (still own but hate CVT)
2010 Subaru Outback (replaced headgasket)
1999 Subaru Outback (replaced headgasket twice!)
1997 BMW 325is (leased car)
1993 Honda Accord EX (first new car I owned)
SAAB 900 (used, beautiful car)
Cadillac Coupe de Ville (gift car, robin's egg blue)
80's era VW Synchro (new engine)
80's era Datsun 310GX (drove cross country... twice)
70's era VW 412 Wagon (floor rotted away after hurricane)
'68 Barracuda Fastback (amazing car)

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
My last car was a 2005 Honda Accord, before that a 2005 Mazda 6 (god I loved that car) came to the GTI because I always found it to be a cool car, and had driven one a few years prior and liked it. So fast forward two year later,
My Honda was over 200k miles and she was ready to go. After driving many different cars, and my dad begging me to make a more "responsible choice" (he wanted to me lease a corolla or something like that until I was out of school) I settled with the GTI. Couldn't be happier with my decision, just as fast, if not faster than a challenger R/T and get twice the miles to the gallon. Still costs me most my paycheck though [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here man. I'm a senior at Rutgers and all my friends get to do whatever they want whenever they want and i'm like... I have a car payment next week, I'm in for the weekend lol.

knivesandfire

Passed Driver's Ed
Only three cars in my fifteen years of driving.

1994 Saab 900 (parents bought new, handed down to me and learned to drive in)
2012 GTI Mk6 (my first new car purchase, owned 3.5 years and 52k miles)
2016 GTI Mk7 (bought in April of last year)

I_g0t_A_r0cK

My last vehicle was a 2006 Toyota RAV 4 V6 Sport. Great little SUV, never gave me any problems, only issues were all of the recalls, 12 in total. Toyota said it was the most recalled vehicle they've ever built. :(
Current: 2016 GTI DSG, PP
Before that:
2000 VW GTI VR6
1998 Honda Civic
1990 VW Corrado G60 (bad a$$ little car). Stolen and stripped clean in 1999.
1994 Pontiac??
1984 Subaru Station Wagon
1990 Toyota Pickup
1986 Toyota Pickup
1969 Ford Fairlane Fastback
1970 Buick Skylark
3 Motor cycles

Last edited:

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
My last vehicle was a 2006 Toyota RAV 4 V6 Sport. Great little SUV, never gave me any problems, only issues were all of the recalls, 12 in total. Toyota said it was the most recalled vehicle they've ever built. :(

2006 model year was the first year of the 3rd gen Rav4, so it sounds like it had new model teething problems.

My Japanese-built 2006 4Runner is the closest thing to bullet-proof I've ever owned. I try to kill it and it won't die, or even hiccup. That was the the fourth year of the 4th gen 4Runner.

I_g0t_A_r0cK

2006 model year was the first year of the 3rd gen Rav4, so it sounds like it had new model teething problems.

My Japanese-built 2006 4Runner is the closest thing to bullet-proof I've ever owned. I try to kill it and it won't die, or even hiccup. That was the the fourth year of the 4th gen 4Runner.

Yea I loved it, the motor was fantastic, sooo powerful. I couldn't break the dang thing. I was rear ended a few years ago and sort of bent the rear frame, if I went over 50 it would start to "float". Insurance company would not total it.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
That's funny, because one of my friends owned a Lebarron as well.
But it was a giant 1979 Lebarron.
He kept it spotlessly immaculate though.
I remember those hulking giant two door 1980's American cars well.
The big three all had these creaking, rattling, massive doored, velour lined monsters.
My first functional 80's car was a '87 Sentra XE coupe.
Domestic car building was at it's lowest, no doubt. Japanese cars were far better choices lol.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Domestic car building was at it's lowest, no doubt. Japanese cars were far better choices lol.

For sure, that was about the end of building them "the American way" if you will.
American manufacturers learned from the Japanese at that time, studied their assembly line techniques techniques, dissected their vehicles...
It's been a game of catch up ever since.

koniu77

Passed Driver's Ed
2012 maxima (good car, regret trading it in should have just kept it)
2014 Q5 (still have it)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
What did you drive before you drove a MKVII Golf, GTI or R?

That is a very long list! If I limit it to just the last ten years or so:

'01-'03-'05-'13 Maximas
2 '13 Altimas
'04 Superduty
'04 Navigator
'06 Mustang GT
'03 Mustang Mach 1
'02 Camaro Z28
'93 Pathfinder
'98 Lexus GS400
'12 Honda Fit
2 '91 Miatas
'06 Mercedes E55

Currently:

'07 Escalade
'16 GTI

Last edited:

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
2012 maxima (good car, regret trading it in should have just kept it)

Boring as heck to drive but a good car. I agree. Here is my old '13.

Attachments

• IMG_2210edit.jpg
    IMG_2210edit.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 352

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
92 Chrysler LeBaron GTC Convertible
93 Chevy Lumina
05 Hyundai Elantra GT
04 VW GTI 1.8T
17 VW GTI SE
17 Hyundai Tucson Sport