GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Logging, stacking and Map 6 Discussion

Thegoat

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, typically that's what causes pre-ignition, but those aren't the only causes.

I think you're rambling on the other parts haha. I've seen tunes exhibit this when hitting their AFR too (high 11s). The ECU will pull back boost like you said (and if your additive based on JB4 then it'll pull back too). In a nutshell it doesn't seem to be caused by a lean mixture. Look around on the internet and some people might say that, but a properly designed load based ECU can compensate just fine. I know in evoflash there is actually a timing based table for the cold.. too cold or too hot and it retards. I think the same principle is being used here.
makes sense to me. I lowered boost in the lower rpms. seems to do better now in the cold.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Anyone else have the DV+ and run across some weird hesitations or over boosting?

check to make sure you have oiled the spring as well. It needs that from time to time. I do it on every oil change and the half way point

GTIJames707

Passed Driver's Ed
a couple logs after some time in the garge

alright, so I had some clutch slip, made the move, now i'm riding around with a stage 2 BFI daily good for 400 ft lbs. a little piece a mind and a big chunk out of the wallet. oh well...
anyways, during the re-building I put back on a cold air intake I had laying around, tightened up somethings I didn't like, broke the clutch in 500 miles, and did some logging to see if I was able to get the car where I feel it should be given the mods (down pipe, intake, turbo inlet pipe, transmount stg. 2 bfi, dog bone insert). but after looking at my logs i'm really hating some of the things I see, and i'm hoping to get some advice, because you guys have been super helpful in the past and I appreciate everything I get on this forum. so here are my questions/concerns
1. What adjustments do I make to directly control AFR? I know it has to do with the Fuel Bias by rpm, but the number is already 100, do I lower it? because it wouldn't let me make it higher...
2. My JB unit was shipped with FOL to 60 and I too threw the fuel rail pressure low code, I set it to 50, should I go to forty?
3. My main concern is how lean i'm getting at times, I've seen numbers as low as 8.7! only for a moment, but I see sustained low 11's, which I hate, and i'm concerned could be causing the timing corrections.
4. what do you guys think is the main cause of the timing corrections? because in two of the logs i'm about to post, one had an ambient of 61, one of 80, with IAT's much different, and corrections in both.... here we go

Attachments

• bias adjusted.jpg
    bias adjusted.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 406
  • 3rd 4th with low afr.jpg
    3rd 4th with low afr.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 408
  • long 4th pull, afr goes leaner and leaner.jpg
    long 4th pull, afr goes leaner and leaner.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 404

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
1. Nothing. Don't touch those settings.
2. Try 50 first.
3. 8.7 would be rich, not lean. I don't see anything wrong with AFR here. AFR when not at WOT will be weird. Nothing to be concerned about.
4. Can you post up your settings? Also, things are much easier to see through datazap than some tiny pics.

Next time run it out to 6500rpm.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Diggs summed it up well. One reason your timing isn't high is due to you not running it out to 6500rpm. It doesn't start really advancing until 5000rpm. Your knock isn't too bad and nothing that looks to be too concerning.

Thegoat

Passed Driver's Ed
check to make sure you have oiled the spring as well. It needs that from time to time. I do it on every oil change and the half way point
lord flexington how often do you chamge your oil? I know i oiled it when i put it in which was probably about 3k miles ago. I have just over 7500 on the car now. Jb4 at 6400 miles. After i put the stock dv back i inspected the dv+ and there is some wear on the piston which isnt bad. No scoring. Although it never moved smoothly as it seems to have ridges in the piston. Oil does help it. I have a silicon based oil im going to try once i put it back in. Going to try the stock one for a bit and see how it does after 500 miles of logging.

GTIJames707

Passed Driver's Ed
1. Nothing. Don't touch those settings.
2. Try 50 first.
3. 8.7 would be rich, not lean. I don't see anything wrong with AFR here. AFR when not at WOT will be weird. Nothing to be concerned about.
4. Can you post up your settings? Also, things are much easier to see through datazap than some tiny pics.

Next time run it out to 6500rpm.

Diggs summed it up well. One reason your timing isn't high is due to you not running it out to 6500rpm. It doesn't start really advancing until 5000rpm. Your knock isn't too bad and nothing that looks to be too concerning.

:eek:

that's embarrassing.... idk how I got rich/lean relationship mixed up, I guess it's been a while since I was in school. oh man, I barely ever go above stoich in all of my logs.
thanks for going easy on me, even though I don't deserve it with such a rookie mix up. I really appreciate it and the advice and I will post back with some logs going deeper into the RPM's along with my settings, but in those logs the settings are all little different but very conservative, also if you couldn't tell by looking, i'm additive not absolute targeting.

GTIJames707

Passed Driver's Ed
new logs

http://www.datazap.me/u/gtijamesvag/61-deg-f?log=0&data=1-4&mark=22

settings:
1,500 : 1
2,000 : 2
2,500 : 3
3,000 : 3.4
3,500 : 4
4,000 : 4.4
4,500 : 3.8
5,000 : 3.4
5,500 : 3.0
6,000 : 2.6
6,500 : 2.0
7,000 : 1.0

FOL : 50, no adjustments to the fuel bias, safety set to 24 psi, no boost by gear. the logs were pretty clean, I wasn't able to find any stretch of road that would allow for the depth in fourth, and even third gear that I really wanted but this still shows my dilemma, if you guys are able to see the logs. what's going on is right around 4,600 - 5,000 rpm i'm getting some timing corrections in Ig. 1, with sometimes as much as 5 degrees of correction. this sucks. but other than that i'm really happy with the way the car behaved tonight. I'm thinking that the stock air box has a lot to do with this because my IAT's dropped significantly. I'd really like to find an aftermarket air intake system which could prove through logging like this that it could effectively drop IAT's.

but anyways, if anyone would care to chime in on my settings or possible causes of timing corrections/targets/ect please feel free! thanks again!

for those having trouble with datazap, here are the pictures and info from that site: 91 octane, catless dp, turbo inlet pipe (elbo) stock air box, snow catch removed, bfi stage 2 daily with smf and bfi stage 2 trans mount.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 545
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 539
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:

Thegoat

Passed Driver's Ed
http://www.datazap.me/u/gtijamesvag/61-deg-f?log=0&data=1-4&mark=22

settings:
1,500 : 1
2,000 : 2
2,500 : 3
3,000 : 3.4
3,500 : 4
4,000 : 4.4
4,500 : 3.8
5,000 : 3.4
5,500 : 3.0
6,000 : 2.6
6,500 : 2.0
7,000 : 1.0

FOL : 50, no adjustments to the fuel bias, safety set to 24 psi, no boost by gear. the logs were pretty clean, I wasn't able to find any stretch of road that would allow for the depth in fourth, and even third gear that I really wanted but this still shows my dilemma, if you guys are able to see the logs. what's going on is right around 4,600 - 5,000 rpm i'm getting some timing corrections in Ig. 1, with sometimes as much as 5 degrees of correction. this sucks. but other than that i'm really happy with the way the car behaved tonight. I'm thinking that the stock air box has a lot to do with this because my IAT's dropped significantly. I'd really like to find an aftermarket air intake system which could prove through logging like this that it could effectively drop IAT's.

but anyways, if anyone would care to chime in on my settings or possible causes of timing corrections/targets/ect please feel free! thanks again!

for those having trouble with datazap, here are the pictures and info from that site: 91 octane, catless dp, turbo inlet pipe (elbo) stock air box, snow catch removed, bfi stage 2 daily with smf and bfi stage 2 trans mount.
ign 1 is over all ignition so you timing actually advancing, which is good. At the beginning of each log you see the timing advance drops quickly but comes back in higher rpms. ign 2 is cylinder 1, ign 3 is cylinder 2, ign 4 is cylinder 3, and ign 5 is cylinder 4. If something comes up in ign 2 through 5 then thats timing pull. some is ok i believe but more then 3 degrees of pull means somethings going on and most likely power needs to backed down alittle or change fuel to higher oct.

Thegoat

Passed Driver's Ed
Add TRIMS, IAT, IGN 2-4, and ecu boost to the logs. helps get a better idea of whats going on

Last edited:

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Don't have a JB4, just popped in to see how the thread was going, nice to see the JB community being very helpful to each other and there is some good general car information and troubleshooting in here, keep up the good work, this is what makes forums great.

Thegoat

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't have a JB4, just popped in to see how the thread was going, nice to see the JB community being very helpful to each other and there is some good general car information and troubleshooting in here, keep up the good work, this is what makes forums great.
Lol love your profile photo

Mk72015

Ready to race!