GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is the GOAT a troll

Stevie1

Ready to race!
Just wondering as he seems to,

1. Talk about how poor VW is as a brand.
2. Talk about how unreliable VW's are.
2. Broadcast how Golf R's are not selling well.
3. Drives a Honda.

I'm not a VW fanboy and sure there have been issues with them in the past and future. But this chap seems to be always on the negative?

Welcome other points of view.

The Goat

Ready to race!
Haha I'll take the bait. Have been seriously considering the R for about 6 months and when I found this place decided to get all the input owners would share, especially about mechanical/electrical issues and mileage which is very important to me.

Also I owned a VW and had terrible luck with it to say the least so for sure I'm wary of the brand.

Curious Stevie if you've had any issues since ownership and what's your mpg (city/hwy/ave) in case you track it?

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Haha I'll take the bait. Have been seriously considering the R for about 6 months and when I found this place decided to get all the input owners would share, especially about mechanical/electrical issues and mileage which is very important to me.

Also I owned a VW and had terrible luck with it to say the least so for sure I'm wary of the brand.

Curious Stevie if you've had any issues since ownership and what's your mpg (city/hwy/ave) in case you track it?

I can't answer for Stevie, but I have had several VWs and not one has had an unexpected day off the road.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Owned VW's (1 Audi) all my life since '75.
Never a serious problem. Only minor issues that were taken care of in a timely manner.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

Appreciate your handling of the call out. :cool:

CarlsbadMKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
I would vote no on the troll-meter. Seems like a smart guy who's just making sure the R would suit his needs.

I think VW is about average for reliability, but has improved over the last 6-7 years. I will say that my '12 GTI has already had 2 water pumps replaced. Common problem, I know, but not exactly a comforting feeling. Also, some criticism of VW comes naturally since VWoA isn't exactly a model of competence in the US automotive market.

VW4Lyfe

Passed Driver's Ed
Assuming he actually drives a Honda, he's right on at least 3 of those points. VW is a poorly run brand in the US, and VWs are at the low end of reliability. Doesn't mean the R isn't a great car.

dasiknes803

Ready to race!
Im in the process of getting my ordered MK7 Autobahn. Out of all the cars out there this care only makes sense to me. I currently own a MK5 and love it. I would say as long you keep up on the maintenance you should have no problems as with any car.

Cooktenstein

Ready to race!
Hey GOAT, i lived in Greenough, MT for about 6 months working on a ranch. Anywhoo, about my experience with VW, I am on my 2nd one which is a 12 Passat (v6). The only thing that has went wrong with it was a leaky front window about a week after purchase. My dealer fixed it immediately. My first VW was an 11' GTI. I replaced 3 head units (one of which was at 55k miles....aka out of warranty and was replaced for free), and a clutch which was due to tuning. Im overall happy with the brand having owned quite a few American and Japanese brands. Hands down the most fun I have had with a car was that tuned and lowered GTI. I am debating whether to get a 16' R or GTI for my next purchase. Good luck with your decision.

BlackMK7R

Lionel Hutz said:
Assuming he actually drives a Honda, he's right on at least 3 of those points. VW is a poorly run brand in the US, and VWs are at the low end of reliability. Doesn't mean the R isn't a great car.
R is a decent car, worth $40K, not in my honest opinion.​
It is a heavy hog, not good on fuel, and VW Golf/Jetta history sucks.​
From electrical, wiring, parts, paint, plastic, on and on...​
But, which MFG is better? They all suffer in some ways.​
Maybe get a badass GTI (lots of room for haggle on them), they are lighter, better on fuel, and could be made to walk the R with ease (on a roll). Power to weight ratio is where it comes down to. Of course faster shifting, and gearing are important.​
I wish I did not buy my MKVII R, or the MKVI R sometimes, and think of selling often. I am not a fan of the integrated ex mani, or the turbo quality (or lack there of). DSG has quarks (hopefully just for now).​
Can go on and on, but I will just be attacked and slinged very sticky troll goup on me, from the masses. It won't come off ever then :eek:

The Goat

Ready to race!
Hey GOAT, i lived in Greenough, MT for about 6 months working on a ranch. Anywhoo, about my experience with VW, I am on my 2nd one which is a 12 Passat (v6). The only thing that has went wrong with it was a leaky front window about a week after purchase. My dealer fixed it immediately. My first VW was an 11' GTI. I replaced 3 head units (one of which was at 55k miles....aka out of warranty and was replaced for free), and a clutch which was due to tuning. Im overall happy with the brand having owned quite a few American and Japanese brands. Hands down the most fun I have had with a car was that tuned and lowered GTI. I am debating whether to get a 16' R or GTI for my next purchase. Good luck with your decision.

Hey Cooktenstein thanks for writing! I hope you enjoyed MT, did you spend any time in Missoula??

Very encouraged by your experience on VW reliability. I had a Jetta they was junk, but it seems the Passat and Golf are better!