GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How my motorcycle convinced me not to get a tune for my R

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I've now firmly decided to leave my R alone outside of cosmetic mods. Beyond the car being so amazingly well set up from the factory, as well as avoiding any warranty concerns from modding the engine, my motorcycle just convinced me to leave well enough alone with the R's mechanicals. Let me explain.

My "other car" is a 2005 Yamaha FJR1300, a pretty damn good bike when I purchased it new. But like so many of you in this forum, I have a compulsion never to leave well enough alone when it comes to machines that move me down the road. Stock, this bike is awfully quick getting to 60 in 2.9 and through the quarter mile in the upper 10's according to the mags which tested it (in later iterations, Yamaha slowed things down a notch). Of course, that wasn't good enough for me. So I dumped the really restrictive stock exhaust system (4 into 2 into 1, then a single cat, and out again through two quiet mufflers), and threw on a set of Holeshot 4 into 2 race headers (1/4" wider OD) straight into a pair of Two Brothers full flow carbon cans. Then K&N filter and a dynotune of a Dynojet Power Comander netted me 159 horsepower and 102 lb.ft of torque--stock was supposed to be around 128-30 HP. Now it lifts the front wheel of this 600 lb sport tourer at 90 mph as I shift into third. And on the occaision that I've done some street racing, that big sport tourer now stays neck and neck with Hayabusas and ZX14's, until past the century mark, much to their amazement (always with some laughter). Sounds great right? Read on.

Well then the reasonably well sorted suspension wasn't up to taking on the speeds which I found myself riding at, so I upped the front spring rates and installed a custom built Wilbers rear shock. Now I had a bike which not only breathed some fire, but would handle too. But then the brakes started getting mushy--seemed that I was boiling my fluid, bringing it down from daily 100+ mph runs (if you ride any sort of sportbike, you know what I mean). So I then managed to fix that issue by installing Galfer wave rotors and using ATE brake fluid; thing is those Galfer rotors reduce unsprung and rotating weight, as well as dissapate heat much better than the stock rotors, but they only last about 8-10K miles. Still, although all of this has cost some serious bucks, I had a bike that was about as quick and sure footed as most anything on the street, yet can carry me and a passanger comfortably for hours on end. Hold on, I intimated this didn't have a happy ending.

Then things really started to get interesting. At about 10K miles the bike started jumping out of second gear. It seamed that I had banged up the dog gears a bit from hard shifting, costing me almost $2K to replace the first two gears. Then again, after another 8K miles, the same two gears went again. Understand that this transmission only has 5 gears, instead of the usual 6, so that the gears themselves could be made even beefier than if there were 6 sets within the transmission case. I had also been experiencing some clutch slippage, so at the point of that transmission work, I changed out the stock diaphram clutch spring for a Barnett competition clutch basket with 6 HD springs, which really worked well. Then last spring, the bike started to jump out both first and second gear whenever I'd open it up more than half way; Christ, I was only 5K miles out of that last trany rebuild! I nursed it through the rest of the year, waiting until February to finally bring it in. This time it seems that every single gear set was either eaten or warped from handling the power from the engine (OK, as well as my inability to lay off the power wheelies), thisb time costing me almost three grand. F#*k, all for making a very fast motorcycle, blisteringly fast.

Which brings me back to modding the Golf R. I think I've learned my lesson: unless I win the lottery, I'm going to be content with driving just a really great ride, one which ought to last a while, and if it doesn't I can have it worked on under warranty.

Sorry if all of that was a little long winded.

Last edited:

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Careful, some people get upset on forums when you imply that modifications don't cause shortened life spans on components.. :)

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
After all my years of modding I will only do minor cometic mods and add the Neuspeed Power Module. That will be enough for me.

I will leave all my previous $$$$ craziness behind me.

VW4Lyfe

Passed Driver's Ed
Eh, I've modded turbo cars for years and never once had a problem caused by a modification. Don't put on stupid mods and don't abuse the car and you are golden. You still have to be willing to pay to play.

mookieblaylock

Ready to race!
Sorry if all of that was a little long winded.

dude you're due for a new bike. Me i have gone the other way from gsxr1k down to an fz1 (fully tuned of course) and now a vintage 2000 cagiva 900 twin with, wait for it ,70 horse power but i just like the way it rides . I put a piggyback on the amg and i sold it a month later as the power hit right in the middle of the range was annoying, i'm sure apr has an awesome solution for the R but if you are going to wory about it's not worth it

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
i think thats smart way to do. you have a bike for the need for speed, and Golf R is pretty quick in stock form. With a tune, you're already looking at ferrari numbers anyway. And best of all, not worrying about warranty void when tuning, etc. i would grab those LED tails though.

GGray

Ready to race!
I have to admit I pretty much upgrade and modify anything I own. My VFR had a crap ton of stuff on it.

When I tell my friends all I have done to my BMW touring is suspension and a filter they laugh...

artargyle

Ready to race!
100% agree, no mods...

My feelings too. After 1200 miles driving the R and some pretty fun moments at the track (briefly) and on some lonely backroads the car never ceases to offer up amazing performance & has a lot more trick's up it's sleeve than I expected (frankly)
The R is so well sorted out, balanced, powerful and the haldex system when really pushed, rockets into service & is a real winner.

It's like there are several cars in one guise : The really good German car that feels & sounds solid like a rock & makes fetching groceries & doing mundane errands an adventure.
The little hatch that in R mode, & S tranny setting makes roaring up a freeway on ramp like flying a fighter plane.
The subtle styling & not quite modest looking car that can actually go very very fast, accelerate in a snap, eat up sweeping turns at high speeds, stop on a dime & makes the driver grin for hours on end. A track day fun car & backroad trouble maker.

I figure by my own accounting that I have spent a small fortune in 45 years modding otherwise very nice German performance cars. Sometimes the outcome has been very good but the gains are $$$-$ and come at the cost of opening up a pandora's box of possible future issues ( I have several issues I could report including warranty wars & expensive repairs.)
At the end of the day it seems like VW has poured years of engineering into a MK7 Golf R & brought to life a car that is truly versatile and rewarding on many levels car loving folks appreciate.

I am starting a fund to be spent at the track, DE events & driving sessions where I can explore the outer edges of the R's bag of tricks & maybe get some dedicated track-day wheels & tires too.
Enjoy!!!

Last edited: