GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
I am in the process of ordering a new 1.4 150 R-Line Sportscombi/Variant/Estate/Wagon, so I cut and pasted your instructions and photos together and negotiated with my dealer about having the engine, front and rear exhaust, and rear axle covers installed prior to delivery.

Prices here in Stockholm are typically higher than in many other parts of Sweden (or the rest of the EU, for that matter), and they include 25% VAT. Their proposed total for parts, labor, and an environmental charge (for disposal of packaging?) is SEK 9447,58 +/-10%.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I am in the process of ordering a new 1.4 150 R-Line SportCombi/Estate/Wagon, so I cut and pasted your instructions and photos together and negotiated with my dealer about having the engine, front and rear exhaust, and rear axle covers installed prior to delivery.

Prices here in Stockholm are typically higher than in many other parts of Sweden (or the rest of the EU, for that matter), and they include 25% VAT. Their proposed total for parts, labor, and an environmental charge (for disposal of packaging?) is SEK 9447,58 +/-10%.

I bet the dealer was surprised that those VW items could be used to cover the underside of the car! :cool:

Ursus americanus

Ready to race!
So the older Passat style rear axle cover took some major modification to fit to the mk7 gti. Even with the upstand cut off the exhaust interferes with the cover. I had to cut out a significant portion on the left side just to make room for the clips and plastic nuts to grab. Even so, the exhaust is still resting on a small portion of the remaining cover. I covered that area with heat shielding but as the exhaust sits right on it I'll keep an eye on it for melting/deformation.

I definitely do not recommend going that route. At some point I'll get the smaller mk6 cover and see how that works out.

Universal_Remonster

Ready to race!
So the older Passat style rear axle cover took some major modification to fit to the mk7 gti. Even with the upstand cut off the exhaust interferes with the cover. I had to cut out a significant portion on the left side just to make room for the clips and plastic nuts to grab. Even so, the exhaust is still resting on a small portion of the remaining cover. I covered that area with heat shielding but as the exhaust sits right on it I'll keep an eye on it for melting/deformation.

I definitely do not recommend going that route. At some point I'll get the smaller mk6 cover and see how that works out.
You should have used part C, it fits the GTI perfectly.

Universal_Remonster

Ready to race!
What "part C" are you talking about? The only part #'s listed in this thread for the rear axle cover were the Passat style (3C0 501 713 A) that I decided to try and the mk6 style (1K0 501 713D) which I said I'll eventually get.
The MK6 part comes in a C, D and E depending on the market but the pieces are identical.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
What "part C" are you talking about? The only part #'s listed in this thread for the rear axle cover were the Passat style (3C0 501 713 A) that I decided to try and the mk6 style (1K0 501 713D) which I said I'll eventually get.

D is the latest version I could find....however it depends on what the dealer ETKA states as still available..

Anyway at least you proved beyond all reasonable doubt that my original concerns were well founded....ie fitting the Passat one to the MK7 hatch is a no go...

Ursus americanus

Ready to race!
D is the latest version I could find....however it depends on what the dealer ETKA states as still available..

Anyway at least you proved beyond all reasonable doubt that my original concerns were well founded....ie fitting the Passat one to the MK7 hatch is a no go...

No go without some serious hacking that is. It fits snug and I've put 100 miles of interstate (70mph+) and pot-holed side streets on the car since with no ill effects... I even left the car running in the driveway when I got home to feel for any heat on the axle cover where it's resting against the exhaust pipe. Immediately after driving and after 15 minutes of sitting (with the engine running) it was cool to the touch.

I'd say its worrh it if one uses the heat shielding and is handy with a hacksaw. It might not be pretty but it is secure and offers the most protection available.

Next I need to modify the tunnel cover to attach to the Unibrace UBQ :)

Universal_Remonster

Ready to race!
All pieces from Page 1 have been installed and are working great. Toughest part of the install was the support brackets for the front undertray but everything else was really easy.

Now we just need some rear lower arm guards for the MK7.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
All pieces from Page 1 have been installed and are working great. Toughest part of the install was the support brackets for the front undertray but everything else was really easy.

Now we just need some rear lower arm guards for the MK7.

That's something we can agree on! It took me longer to fit those damn brackets than every other piece combined.

I did state you needed great dexterity to fit them...:p

The only easier way is to remove the front bumper...:eek:

BTW those rear arm guards. I take it you are not referring to the ones in the thread which are the wishbone stone guards.

I presume you are talking about the old Audi TT/A3 control arm aero/stone flaps.

https://www.partsbase.org/parts/aud-1k0511539e/

Item 33 part number 1K0-511-539E.

These will not fit as our arms are longer & curved differently from what I know. Those who have the EPB have electric cables in the way of the fixings also. You will note the technical notice for the item as VAG had problems with them vibrating/flapping around too much due to inadequate fixing. This is why I decided NOT to try them...however the idea is good!

Ursus americanus

Ready to race!
I did state you needed great dexterity to fit them...:p

The only easier way is to remove the front bumper...:eek:

LOL, I literally uttered to myself "golfdave wasn't kidding with needing great dexterity" while my arms were wrapped around the crash bar, blocking any possible line of site. Great dexterity may be an understatement lol.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
LOL, I literally uttered to myself "golfdave wasn't kidding with needing great dexterity" while my arms were wrapped around the crash bar, blocking any possible line of site. Great dexterity may be an understatement lol.

ROFL...:D
I think I did understate it to blank out the memory of it....;)

Ursus americanus

Ready to race!
ROFL...:D
I think I did understate it to blank out the memory of it....;)

So true. Drivers side (na) was probably the hardest bolt I've ever had to thread. "With great dexterity and frustration...." seems most accurate.

Note to anyone thinking about this mod: if you plan on upgrading your intercooler as well, do both at the same time.

greypanter

Ready to race!
Hey guys sorry to bring this thread back to life but does anyone know where the AC evaporator drain tube is located under the mk7 golf/GTI? I think I might have a clogged drain tube

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk