GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hey guys sorry to bring this thread back to life but does anyone know where the AC evaporator drain tube is located under the mk7 golf/GTI? I think I might have a clogged drain tube

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

This thread is only about the retro fitting of skid trays etc as per my How to guides at the start of this thread & nothing else.

Please post your question in the main MK7 discussion section. ;)

Daner

Go Kart Newbie
I've put about 2000 km on our 2017 Golf Sportscombi 1,4 TSI 150 GT R-Line 6-spd with all of the aero undertrays installed by the dealer according to golfdave's instructions prior to delivery. Lots of highway miles back and forth to pick up in-laws and deliver kids to university and such. Been running Shell premium (called V-Power here in Sweden, and advertised as 98+ octane.) Tire pressures are 35psi at all 4 corners, on OEM 225/45 17 Hankook Ventus S1 Evo2s. Speeds on the highway have not averaged as high as they normally would due to extensive road construction and traffic, but that has not necessarily enhanced my economy as speeds have been either 110-130 km/h (68-80 mph) or stop and go. I've played with the ACC a bit, usually setting it on the closest follow while running in ECO mode. It works pretty well and will be a great enhancement safety-wise, but as a former road cyclist I can still do a better job of identifying opportunities to save energy and catch a good draft when possible, so I if the object is saving fuel I leave the ACC off. Mode select while on the highway has been split between Normal, Comfort, and ECO.

Average highway fuel economy so far has been 5.6-5.8l/100km (40-42 mpg US, or 48-50 mpg UK), all based on tanked volume rather than the car computer.

The official VW economy estimates claim that the highway economy should be 4.5l/100km (about 52 mpg US, or nearly 63 mpg UK). Based on instantaneous economy readings, that is probably attainable at a steady 90 km/h (56mph) on smooth, flat roads.

On my trip home from NH to NJ through CT I saw an indicated 37.7 US mpg which would be 45.28 UK mpg. The distance traveled was 326mi with an average speed of 63mph. I made the trip in one sitting, no stops for anything. The duration was about 5 hours and fifteen minutes. I'm pleased with the observed results. The claimed highway mpg for my car is 36mpg US or 43.2 UK.

I believe my current typical average is 34.5 US mpg or 41.43 UK mpg. This is not surprising as I have the 1.8 TSI while Dave has the 1.4 TSI.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Average highway fuel economy so far has been 5.6-5.8l/100km (40-42 mpg US, or 48-50 mpg UK), all based on tanked volume rather than the car computer.

That's very good for running in eco/normal modes..

I have calibrated my MFD readout to 1% accurate of brim to brim, & get between 41.6 to 46.4 MPG (UK) on a 32mile to 45mile round trip. I too use Shell Nitro (99ron) but the car is always in SPORT mode.....:D

I'll have to look at the long term figures..

surfstar

Ready to race!
I can achieve 39 mpg (US) economy on road trips with the wagon fully loaded down with camping gear and climbing gear, for two people. (MFD reads 41-42 and is about 7% optimistic in my car)

I installed a full engine undertray (plastic only, not the skid plate), the front and rear exhaust cover/panels, and the Jetta Hybrid axle cover.

My long-term average, over 9,292 miles, is 36.84 mpg. EPA rating is 25/36 city/hwy for our cars.
1.8 TSI, 5spd manual, S trim w/ 15" wheels, 195 tires.
I believe the underbody panels give .5-1.5 mpg on higher speed hwy cruising. A great upgrade and should be stock for all MK7s!

Thanks again golfdave for this great thread!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
II believe the underbody panels give .5-1.5 mpg on higher speed hwy cruising. A great upgrade and should be stock for all MK7s!

Thanks again golfdave for this great thread!

With all the ruckus over "dieselgate" they could easily make better MPG figures on the cars by fitting parts they already have in stock!!..:confused:

Just because of some bean counters got to make £XXX on each car..

Not so clever now eh VAG?

Anyway at least we are beating the system!!:D

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Man I want the oem skid plate but have not had luck finding a legit website that ships to the US.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

surfstar

Ready to race!
Man I want the oem skid plate but have not had luck finding a legit website that ships to the US.

e-acca is your best bet, despite the issue noted upthread.

I found a couple cheaper parts off ebay, but was patient and bought the remaining ones from e-acca. Slow, slow shipping, but came through just fine.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Found this site (NSX owners forum) which has aa Audi A4 before & after cd gain for different undertrays etc.

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/n...-undertrays-on-the-audi-a4-b6-generation.html

Looking at it I recon that fitting the my full package I have reduced the drag by at least 0.014.

So standard quoted Cd for the MK7 Golf estate is 0.27 (hatch is 0.29) these figures are from the web so might not be 100% .

So a reduction from 0.27 to 0.256...is a reduction of 5.2% so in theory an increase of fuel range by the same 5.2%.

surfstar

Ready to race!
For some #s:
miles 0-4211 on my car, mpg = 36.11
at ~4300 miles, I added the underbody panels
miles 4212-9292 mpg = 37.46

increase of 3.73%

unfortunately some of the increase could also be due to new engine break-in and 'loosening up'. Won't ever know for sure (unless others keep as diligent of records as I do, and can show an increase in mpg with time/miles and no other mods)

I spent ~$200 USD on my panels, and my break even point is around 75k miles, with gas at current prices. I'm hoping for 150k+ out of this car, so these mods might actually save me $200 or more over the very long run.
I just enjoy getting the higher mpg and knowing that my car is more efficient.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
e-acca is your best bet, despite the issue noted upthread.

I found a couple cheaper parts off ebay, but was patient and bought the remaining ones from e-acca. Slow, slow shipping, but came through just fine.
I will have to look at them again and see what's up. Thanks!

I may just grab the ECS aero tray. I really just want it to keep extra gunk out of the engine bay. When it snows like crazy I can drive the awd forester. Other than that the roads I drive a pretty nice.

Last edited:

surfstar

Ready to race!
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/baffle/3q0825236/

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Q0825236/ES2719831/

are the two ECS options I liked (OEM via ecs)

Depending on if you want sound/insulation protection or vents under the oil pan. I have a fully enclosed engine tray - no oil pan or DSG vents and my oil temperatures went up about 5* F, overall. Cruising at highway speeds is now around 219, previously was 212-216. Going up grades can hit 230, previously was ~225. I'm 1.8T, and these are in line with 2.0T GTI oil temps, so I'm not worried, and they will likely drop for winter (those were summer #s, some involving quite hot road trips)

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/baffle/3q0825236/

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Q0825236/ES2719831/

are the two ECS options I liked (OEM via ecs)

Depending on if you want sound/insulation protection or vents under the oil pan. I have a fully enclosed engine tray - no oil pan or DSG vents and my oil temperatures went up about 5* F, overall. Cruising at highway speeds is now around 219, previously was 212-216. Going up grades can hit 230, previously was ~225. I'm 1.8T, and these are in line with 2.0T GTI oil temps, so I'm not worried, and they will likely drop for winter (those were summer #s, some involving quite hot road trips)
Nice. Do you know if either linked will just bolt right up or do you need the addition brackets?

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
no brackets, just some added screws and bolts, see first page
Thanks! Now to decide if I want all the vents or not.