GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

Universal_Remonster

Ready to race!
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/baffle/3q0825236/

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Q0825236/ES2719831/

are the two ECS options I liked (OEM via ecs)

Depending on if you want sound/insulation protection or vents under the oil pan. I have a fully enclosed engine tray - no oil pan or DSG vents and my oil temperatures went up about 5* F, overall. Cruising at highway speeds is now around 219, previously was 212-216. Going up grades can hit 230, previously was ~225. I'm 1.8T, and these are in line with 2.0T GTI oil temps, so I'm not worried, and they will likely drop for winter (those were summer #s, some involving quite hot road trips)
Be aware that those are just thin plastic trays. You won't get any skid protection from those.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Be aware that those are just thin plastic trays. You won't get any skid protection from those.
Yup. I'm not planning on lowering the car and the roads by me are solid. I figure if I hit something that big and heavy I'm screwed either way.
My goal is to keep is much salt and gunk out of the engine bay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Universal_Remonster

Ready to race!
Yup. I'm not planning on lowering the car and the roads by me are solid. I figure if I hit something that big and heavy I'm screwed either way.
My goal is to keep is much salt and gunk out of the engine bay

Either one should work well for you then. I prefer the OEM skid tray for peace of mind with our plastic oil pans. The thing is SOLID and mounts directly to the chassis at all points.

Thanks! Now to decide if I want all the vents or not.
I'd suggest no vents e.g. with a 1.8 TSI, or GTI when milder climate,
no tuning etc..
Vents for GTIs with a tune or piggyback, hotter climate, tracking,
all Golf R etc..
I'd avoid the TDI tray with the sound deadening/insulation on the
top side on anything but a TDI (which comes with this from factory).

For the European members: All 1.2/1.4 TSI will be happy without any
vents*, but check before if you already have this tray from factory,
as I've seen bone stock 1.4 TSI Golfs with this tray - no vents at all.

* at least if you don't live in the south of Spain, Portugal, in Sicily or
Greece

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Either one should work well for you then. I prefer the OEM skid tray for peace of mind with our plastic oil pans. The thing is SOLID and mounts directly to the chassis at all points.
I definitely hear you on that. Maybe I will change my mind but I haven't seen too many cracked oil pan stories that make me that nervous.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
no tuning etc..
all Golf R etc..

Greece
Thanks for the input. The only one I have seem with no vents had the padding. I donot plan on tuning my gti, so I will keep looking.

I realize obtaining some of the trays is way more difficult in the US.
You could remove the padding, but I agree with Universal_Remonster,
either one should work well for you.

surfstar

Ready to race!
I have the insulated full, non-vented shield. I think I may remove the insulation/sound material, next time I have the tray off. Normal commuting, I'm at 219*, though, which isn't too high. I just don't need the insulation or sound deadening and would prefer oil temp even 2* cooler - I saw about a 5* increase from stock.

You don't have ECS links for the other pieces do you?

ECS has most of the items, easy enough to p/n search there. I'd shop around for best price... (note my ebay prices included shipping, the others don't)
I'll see if my excel sheet posts properly (nevermind, I just photo'd it). Up to you to decipher it, but I lay out the 4 'major' panels I bought and the needed fasteners and from where I found the best price:

Last edited:

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie

Attachments

• IMG_7117.JPG
    IMG_7117.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 2,764

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
Notice any change in sound? Louder or quieter in the cabin?

MrVaskis

Hi, everyone and especially golfdave.
Dave have inspired a lot of people and i'm not exception. Here in Baltics, roads can be very rough, extra care should be taken in the winter and spring! So any information is very useful.

I hope your car work well and suits your needs at daily routine.

What can you comment on your golf's underbody modifications? You definitely have first long-term observations on fuel consumption, road and car noise?

Any bad experience with ride height?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi, everyone and especially golfdave.
Dave have inspired a lot of people and i'm not exception. Here in Baltics, roads can be very rough, extra care should be taken in the winter and spring!
What can you comment on your golf's underbody modifications? You definitely have first long-term observations on fuel consumption, road and car noise?

Any bad experience with ride height?

Thank you!

I have the VW factory sports suspension -15mm & the only undertray which sits lower than the surrounding bodywork is the engine skid tray.

QUOTE from beginning of thread:-
This tray covers the whole underside of the engine bay area! It fits to the wheel arch liners at the sides, & the front bumper (as per the OEM half tray). However it extends to, & overlaps the metal subframe & uses three threaded inserts which already exist in the subframe! Be warned that because it is approx. 25mm (1 inch) thick, & it overlaps the main metal subframe, your ground clearance at this point is thus reduced by the same amount!! My ground clearance is now about 125mm (5 inches) as this point.

I have not "scuffed" it on any bad roads...yet!!

As for fuel consumption I drive my car in sport mode all the time...:D...& have calibrated my MFD fuel consumption & get at least 42mpg (UK) from my 1.4 140TSI petrol running on Shell Nitro 99ron.

I'm happy!...:D

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
no tuning etc..
all Golf R etc..

Greece
For my GTI I've got the one with padding (from ECS). I don't know that it makes signifficant difference in engine temps (maybe faster warmups) but the padding may be here to prevent the noise of tray rubbing against the oil pan (large plastic surface will vibrate, no way around without extra mounting point in the middle).
So far so good, easy install. BTW, instead of spending $20+ for set of bolts I've bought just the 3 needed for the subframe at a fraction of price (and reused original side screws) - these were listed somewhere for Audi, looked right and sure enough worked perfectly fine.