GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance rebuild on IS20

Mk7PR

Passed Driver's Ed
How's the spool? Trying to not give up too much of the low end for around town driving.

Faster spool than a IS38 since the small core. I had race guys with IS38 and I jump first and keep ahead because of that. It's also perfect for town driving. It's like an IS20 but with a kick in the face when you floor it lol

tell us more please! I don't mind is38s but i have zero intrest right now in dropping 2gs plus for a turbo. The circuits i race at coming out of the corners is critical not going as fast as possible on the straight

This was my real goal for this turbo, circuit race. Fast spool and better low end power for curves and faster response. Not a big fan of having lag coming out of a curve to a straight.

Sounds like you need to fly to PR with an IS20 in your bag. Wouldn't hurt to bring some relief supplies with you as well.

If anyone is coming please bring some good E85 ! Many of us will thank you hehe

I'm working with a US-based rebuilder on a hybrid IS20, similar to what MK7PR has. IS20 core with IS38 internals, front and back wheels. The build is scheduled for completion near the end of the month, and I will be tuning it on the JB4 with George's help.

I'll keep this thread up to date with my findings.

Please keep us posted !

Help note: Keep your IATs low and a little meth would help a lot with JB4 only. See my first dyno graph when I had front IS38 wheel only. Second run was with meth injection.

I'm curious, if you're rebuilding the IS20 why use stock IS38 internals?

They are already somewhat prone to failure. If rebuilding, why not use beefier components to increase reliability? Especially since most IS38 tunes (OTS) don't reach 400WHP/400WTQ.

In my case I ordered a brand new clipped IS38 back wheel with shaft and everything from a well know UK seller. It blew at first WOT run, found wheel near stock catback muffler. Thank god front wheel and core didn't suffer any major damage.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Faster spool than a IS38 since the small core. I had race guys with IS38 and I jump first and keep ahead because of that. It's also perfect for town driving. It's like an IS20 but with a kick in the face when you floor it lol

This was my real goal for this turbo, circuit race. Fast spool and better low end power for curves and faster response. Not a big fan of having lag coming out of a curve to a straight.

If anyone is coming please bring some good E85 ! Many of us will thank you hehe

Please keep us posted !

Help note: Keep your IATs low and a little meth would help a lot with JB4 only. See my first dyno graph when I had front IS38 wheel only. Second run was with meth injection.

In my case I ordered a brand new clipped IS38 back wheel with shaft and everything from a well know UK seller. It blew at first WOT run, found wheel near stock catback muffler. Thank god front wheel and core didn't suffer any major damage.

What have you done to increase reliability since that incident?

Mk7PR

Passed Driver's Ed
What have you done to increase reliability since that incident?
Nothing, just changed the back wheel to an used one using same components from front wheel came from. Running strong at the moment (knocking on wood).

I think its a lot factors prone to fail when going this route, machine shop could damage core, not giving clearance for wheels to move, shaft breaking because of excessive use, etc. Even are prone to fail by tuning issues !

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Quick update - the shop I am working with will be offering this upgrade to the public in the very near future. Details will be firmed up after my turbo is complete (next week).

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Any idea on the cost? Or any kinda warranty with it?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I can share my costs, if interested, but those may change after the machining process is complete.

Warranty is TBD, though they do offer 1 year warranties, protecting against manuf. defects and issues with workmanship, with other similar turbo upgrades.