GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

034 vs. HPA dogbone mount- performance improvement vs Vibration

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
Hello,

New to the GTI world but have been scouring the forums for a few months. I'm considering getting a dogbone mount to help reduce the engine/trans movement during spirited driving.

I have seen a lot of folks on here say they got the 034 mount that simply bolts into the existing factory dogbone, versus the HPA mount which completely replaces the factory mount and torque arm.

Knowing that there are several manufactures and at least two types of dogbone, what is everyone's experience with installing these mounts? I'm trying to reduce wheel hop when accelerating but have to live with the car for 20k miles every year so I don't want it to shake like an old diesel.

What's the best combination of improved performance and livability based on everyone's own experience?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I know KawaZukiVdub is in the middle of installing his so I'm waiting for his impressions as well since I'll probably go HPA myself

Sportwagen SEL

Ready to race!
I wouldn't recommend the 034 personally. I got it and it bent rendering it useless for helping wheelhop. The BFI stage 2 insert has completely cured wheelhop for me for only $40, I would highly recommend trying that before spending $300 on the HPA.

Muzdub

Ready to race!
HPA works great

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
BFI is always my recommendation. Start with the stage 2 dog bone insert, and if you still need more upgrade the engine mount and upper trans insert (no point in buying the full mount).

Bottom line is the stock upper mounts are junk, and expensive doesn't mean better when it comes to the dog bone. I've proven BFI to be reliable over the long haul. Coming up on 30k on this set, and 43k by me on my regularly tracked mk6 and another 80k on top of that by its second owner. All of the mounts performed flawlessly

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
BFI is always my recommendation. Start with the stage 2 dog bone insert, and if you still need more upgrade the engine mount and upper trans insert (no point in buying the full mount).

Bottom line is the stock upper mounts are junk, and expensive doesn't mean better when it comes to the dog bone. I've proven BFI to be reliable over the long haul. Coming up on 30k on this set, and 43k by me on my regularly tracked mk6 and another 80k on top of that by its second owner. All of the mounts performed flawlessly

So you're saying there's no point in purchasing the whole stage 1/2 mount "set" from BFI just get the dogbone first and see how that manages the wheel hop etc?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If you're sensitive to vibrations or unsure how you'll like them do just the insert first. If you want the best performance and that's that order all three stage two and call it a day.

Disclaimer tho, disable the soundekor first or you'll hate it

No point in buying their full upper transmission mount as it's a stock mount they installed their insert in. But my full set of stage 2 mounts completely eliminated all wheel hop with minimal vibration under normal conditions...sure you can lug the car down and make it shake but you'd have to be new to driving manual or in an unusual situation to do it in day to day driving

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
Anyone use the Spulen mount from USP motorsports? There's is a 75 durometer polyurethane. Priced around the same as the 034 and BFI stage 1

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I wouldn't recommend BFI anything if you're worried about excess NVH (Noise, Vibrations, Harshness), at least from my understanding from other owners as well as sitting in someone's car with them... Well, at least not stage 2.

034 Insert is fine for a lot of people but I don't recommend it for anything over stage 1 levels. Mine bent and cracked and was uselss, though it added zero extra NVH for me. I had it stage 1 and thought it was great, also extremely easy to install, and cheap. Fast forward to IS38 levels, though, and it became worthless, and I think plenty have had problems at Stage 2 levels as well.

The HPA full pendulum mount is highly recommended by everyone who has them (including myself.) It does a much better job of stopping engine movement than any insert will, and it doesn't cause too much NVH (though it does just a little).

If it helps, for my IS38 GTI I've always tried to find a good balance of performance vs. comfort parts, as it is still my daily, and I love the HPA. The HPA mount will add just a touch of vibration, but to me it wasn't a negative as it just made the car feel more "real", but not to the point where it was shaking everything.

The wife didn't notice anything different after I had it installed, and we still drive my car everywhere, so that should tell you something. The only negative I can perceive from the HPA mount is that it is a tad bit pricey, but a very good quality and effective piece. Also the install is somewhat a pain from my understanding as well, so I had my shop do it :D

So that's my 2 cents, from someone who's had both 034 and HPA. I recommend HPA hands down, but if you aren't tuning or aren't going past stage 1, the 034 insert is probably fine. I have the new 034 Engine and Trans mounts and absolutely love them... HPA dogbone + 034 Engine/Trans mounts are a perfect setup for my goals (balance of performance and comfort)

Last edited:

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
034 Insert is fine for a lot of people but I don't recommend it for anything over stage 1 levels. Mine bent and cracked and was uselss, though it added zero extra NVH for me.

My 034 is really bent and useless. I don't know why they used aluminum. I wanted to try the IE...

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't recommend BFI anything if you're worried about excess NVH (Noise, Vibrations, Harshness), at least from my understanding from other owners as well as sitting in someone's car with them... Well, at least not stage 2.

034 Insert is fine for a lot of people but I don't recommend it for anything over stage 1 levels. Mine bent and cracked and was uselss, though it added zero extra NVH for me. I had it stage 1 and thought it was great, also extremely easy to install, and cheap. Fast forward to IS38 levels, though, and it became worthless, and I think plenty have had problems at Stage 2 levels as well.

The HPA full pendulum mount is highly recommended by everyone who has them (including myself.) It does a much better job of stopping engine movement than any insert will, and it doesn't cause too much NVH (though it does just a little).

If it helps, for my IS38 GTI I've always tried to find a good balance of performance vs. comfort parts, as it is still my daily, and I love the HPA. The HPA mount will add just a touch of vibration, but to me it wasn't a negative as it just made the car feel more "real", but not to the point where it was shaking everything.

The wife didn't notice anything different after I had it installed, and we still drive my car everywhere, so that should tell you something. The only negative I can perceive from the HPA mount is that it is a tad bit pricey, but a very good quality and effective piece. Also the install is somewhat a pain from my understanding as well, so I had my shop do it :D

So that's my 2 cents, from someone who's had both 034 and HPA. I recommend HPA hands down, but if you aren't tuning or aren't going past stage 1, the 034 insert is probably fine. I have the new 034 Engine and Trans mounts and absolutely love them... HPA dogbone + 034 Engine/Trans mounts are a perfect setup for my goals (balance of performance and comfort)

Idk why anyone gives advice based a hear say.

Mk7 victims of mindless slander: BFI clutch, BFI mounts, Injen intake.....in sure they're more but how can you comment on something so subjective second hand? The vibes are literally so close to stock my parents/boss/coworkers can't tell I changed anything

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie

+1 Had the BFI and it was terrible. MUCH happier with the 034 insert.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Idk why anyone gives advice based a hear say.

Mk7 victims of mindless slander: BFI clutch, BFI mounts, Injen intake.....in sure they're more but how can you comment on something so subjective second hand? The vibes are literally so close to stock my parents/boss/coworkers can't tell I changed anything

I've heard both sides of the coin. I wouldn't call it slander being their experience with it. It's all about perception and in this case their experience (whether install, car, other mods, whatever caused it) wasn't good where yours was. Both are valid and should be considered