GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

034 vs. HPA dogbone mount- performance improvement vs Vibration

jcruz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk8 Golf R
I pulled the trigger on bfi stage 2 insert so I'll try to give some feedback. I have the 034 right now, but the bending issues made me look elsewhere just for safe measure.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Idk why anyone gives advice based a hear say.

Mk7 victims of mindless slander: BFI clutch, BFI mounts, Injen intake.....in sure they're more but how can you comment on something so subjective second hand? The vibes are literally so close to stock my parents/boss/coworkers can't tell I changed anything

I've seen plenty of people who actually have owned the BFI mounts talk about their NVH, and I have ridden in a GTI with BFI stage 2 mounts and it was very harsh. So... that's my experience, not "mindless slander."

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the input everyone. I just purchased a Revo mount after doing a lot of reading on the forums and online and watching a few install videos. I chose the Revo dogbone because it seems like a more sturdy option, similar to HPA in design. I was hesitant to purchase one of the polyurethane pieces (BFI, 034, Neuspeed etc) after reading about, and seeing some videos showing some of them warp or even melt. I also chose the Revo mount because it replaces the stock mount instead of just augmenting the factory setup. I'll report back once I have it installed. My friend with the lift is out of town for a while so it will be a few weeks unless I get anxious and try it in my garage with jack stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
I have the 034 dog bone mount in my car right now, and I'll be pulling it out. I found nearly no improvement in preventing wheel hop, which was the whole point of installing it for me.

I'm ordering a BFI stage 2 insert to replace it. I know that it's going to increase vibrations a bit, but, if it deals with wheel hop, then it's worth it.

geebob

Ready to race!
Has anyone used the CTS billet?
That's what I have. I don't see how it could be any different than others of he same design. When all this about them bending came out, I checked and it looks fine. I torqued to 75 ft/lb and not the proper 95. And I have a DSG. And I don't hammer it in 1st and 2nd.

On another car (small turbo with much torque) people were always showing pics of their destroyed stock mount (trans mount, the primary one for that car) and when I got around to upgrading mine, it looked new. That car was only available with a manual, but still, I never beat on it in the lower gears. Life begins at triple digits says me.

Even with the DSG, and just this little insert, I like the feel of being more connected to the car.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't recommend the 034 personally. I got it and it bent rendering it useless for helping wheelhop. The BFI stage 2 insert has completely cured wheelhop for me for only $40, I would highly recommend trying that before spending $300 on the HPA.
I have an 034 coming, and currently have the BFI stage 2 on hand, however I damaged it taking it out the other day, sorta. I am having my subframe looked at and didn't want it in there. I remember my insert on my Mk6 being much easier to put in and out. Of course, that bushing had high mileage on it, this one is still fresh. If you can call that sloppy thing that.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I've seen plenty of people who actually have owned the BFI mounts talk about their NVH, and I have ridden in a GTI with BFI stage 2 mounts and it was very harsh. So... that's my experience, not "mindless slander."
It is pretty harsh, but I LOVE the powertrain feedback. However, I do worry somewhat of developing interior trim rattles down the road....we shall see. From what I am hearing the Stage 1 BFIs do wear somewhat fast, I haven't heard that about the stage 2s in that regard, yet. I can say thought that with the BFI stage 2 "kit", the dogbone insert is 95% of the noise and vibration. I took it out as the dealer is looking at a possible subframe issue today, and the only noise the mounts themselves offer is at idel you can hear the entire tiiming assembly rotation quite clearly, and under load @ 2000rpm+ the engine noise transfer is quite nice. I like them, so far. Only been about 500 miles though.

034 insert coming, I know people are bending theirs, but for the sake of trying out a different one I wanted to put it in while the subframe is out. I have the BFI on hand just in case.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I've heard both sides of the coin. I wouldn't call it slander being their experience with it. It's all about perception and in this case their experience (whether install, car, other mods, whatever caused it) wasn't good where yours was. Both are valid and should be considered

No, I'm talking about all of the people who've never had any of the mods that they bash. Its a common occurrence around here which really irritates me to the point of not even wanting to help the new guys anymore. What good is my 6 years of experience with these mounts when some guy who's got a stock car and zero experience has people second guessing what I say...blows my mind. Not focused solely on this thread just venting about the mk7 forum as a whole

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone used the CTS billet?

I have the CTS billet one. It works great at my power level. Very minor increase in vibes at take off otherwise never know it's there. But, I do not have traction in first gear and never bother launching (fwd car lol) it hard.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I agree, also when you buy stage 2 mounts.. you kind of have to assume that there will be increased vibrations.. otherwise the car would just come stock like this. They use softer mounts because most people will not care about the performance aspect and would rather a car feel smoother at idle.

That being said all mounts and products are not created equal and NVH is totally subjective. What one might consider harsh, someone else might not depending on past experiences.

I currently have BFI stage 1 mounts and an 034 insert. The BFI mounts are new and I can objectively say they do create more vibrations (not much more) but they are still new and will soften some.

Also there has to be a trade off people. Stiffer mounts=more NVH

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
I wouldn't recommend BFI anything if you're worried about excess NVH (Noise, Vibrations, Harshness), at least from my understanding from other owners as well as sitting in someone's car with them... Well, at least not stage 2.

034 Insert is fine for a lot of people but I don't recommend it for anything over stage 1 levels. Mine bent and cracked and was uselss, though it added zero extra NVH for me. I had it stage 1 and thought it was great, also extremely easy to install, and cheap. Fast forward to IS38 levels, though, and it became worthless, and I think plenty have had problems at Stage 2 levels as well.

The HPA full pendulum mount is highly recommended by everyone who has them (including myself.) It does a much better job of stopping engine movement than any insert will, and it doesn't cause too much NVH (though it does just a little).

If it helps, for my IS38 GTI I've always tried to find a good balance of performance vs. comfort parts, as it is still my daily, and I love the HPA. The HPA mount will add just a touch of vibration, but to me it wasn't a negative as it just made the car feel more "real", but not to the point where it was shaking everything.

The wife didn't notice anything different after I had it installed, and we still drive my car everywhere, so that should tell you something. The only negative I can perceive from the HPA mount is that it is a tad bit pricey, but a very good quality and effective piece. Also the install is somewhat a pain from my understanding as well, so I had my shop do it :D

So that's my 2 cents, from someone who's had both 034 and HPA. I recommend HPA hands down, but if you aren't tuning or aren't going past stage 1, the 034 insert is probably fine. I have the new 034 Engine and Trans mounts and absolutely love them... HPA dogbone + 034 Engine/Trans mounts are a perfect setup for my goals (balance of performance and comfort)

Regarding the HPA pendulum mount product: my experience mirrors yours. There's probably a good reason it costs more than the others, but for me, the price has been totally worth it.

I'm still on the stock engine and tranny mounts; will probably stick with them for awhile. I'm intrigued by the REVO engine and tranny mounts; looking for more feedback from folks who have these; especially if paired with the HPA pendulum mount.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
Regarding the HPA pendulum mount product: my experience mirrors yours. There's probably a good reason it costs more than the others, but for me, the price has been totally worth it.

I'm still on the stock engine and tranny mounts; will probably stick with them for awhile. I'm intrigued by the REVO engine and tranny mounts; looking for more feedback from folks who have these; especially if paired with the HPA pendulum mount.
Also interested in Revo vs HPA mounts. The Revo looks MUCH easier to install but maybe not as substantial as the HPA.

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
I'll share my install and ride experience with the Revo mount once it gets installed. Just got my new socket set and torque wrench in the mail today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk