GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance rebuild on IS20

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Question for the masses:

At what point would you know you have exceeded the intercooler's capabilities? I'm on the CTS FMIC currently, and apparently ED can't log IAT's properly. 4th gear pulls end up with IAT's hitting their starting value at about 6.1k rpm, ie. starts at 8, drops to 7.2, goes back up to 8 by 6.1k

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Question for the masses:

At what point would you know you have exceeded the intercooler's capabilities? I'm on the CTS FMIC currently, and apparently ED can't log IAT's properly. 4th gear pulls end up with IAT's hitting their starting value at about 6.1k rpm, ie. starts at 8, drops to 7.2, goes back up to 8 by 6.1k

What do you mean starts at starting value at 6.1k rpm then goes back up at 6.1k?

My advice is if you can feel the heat soak in reasonable conditions (70-80 degrees, 2 pulls a few minutes apart) than it's probably time to go bigger. However, even with hybrid turbo configurations you may be able to calculate cfm (or the amount of air they should push ~ relatively). You may want to ask a shop about figuring this out if you HAVE a hybrid set up. Once cfm is figured out you can shop for an intercooler with these numbers in hand. The big dogs should have a CFM rating, even if it's just a guestimate.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Question for the masses:

Sounds normal to me? Generally you just want IATs to stay below the point where the ECU starts pulling timing. That seems to be in the 110-120F range unless Mabo has changed this parameter (unlikely).

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Sounds normal to me? Generally you just want IATs to stay below the point where the ECU starts pulling timing. That seems to be in the 110-120F range unless Mabo has changed this parameter (unlikely).

Thanks, Diggs. The IAT increase over the course of the pull looks normal to me. I'm doing logs in 40-45 ambient weather, so very unlikely that I will hit 100-120*F IAT.

Just a gut check.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
I'm hoping to hit the dyno in January. I'll post logs and charts, regardless of the outcome.

Looking forward to this!

Now I gotta figure out which company to choose for the Hybrid IS20 setup to come...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
So new update in regards to the GPOP IS38 balance/rebuild that went pop.

"Ilya Aronov UPDATE:

Just got off the phone with my local boost shop and they have found some incorrect things with the NEWLY rebuilt turbo along with the parts used from overseas. They are going to fix what they found and check the balance. I have asked them to put this all in writing so stay tuned for the exact results.

I will be filing a chargeback to GPOP for all the incorrect work that they performed."

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
So new update in regards to the GPOP IS38 balance/rebuild that went pop.

"Ilya Aronov UPDATE:

Just got off the phone with my local boost shop and they have found some incorrect things with the NEWLY rebuilt turbo along with the parts used from overseas. They are going to fix what they found and check the balance. I have asked them to put this all in writing so stay tuned for the exact results.

I will be filing a chargeback to GPOP for all the incorrect work that they performed."

Yup - saw that.

I'm still going strong. Had a 29psi overboost this weekend while logging on the shift from 3rd->4th ; no problems :)

Find a shop you trust and get all of your work done there!

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Yup - saw that.

I'm still going strong. Had a 29psi overboost this weekend while logging on the shift from 3rd->4th ; no problems :)

Find a shop you trust and get all of your work done there!

The IS38 is already a hit or miss. To add the rebuild/rebalanced to also be another hit or miss is terrifying for me if I got it balanced by them.

I stand by just don't balance it. Either build it hybrid or leave it if it was good with no real shaft play.

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
Not a hit or miss with cermaic dbb conversion done or even Littco modified work..

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
The IS38 is already a hit or miss. To add the rebuild/rebalanced to also be another hit or miss is terrifying for me if I got it balanced by them.

I stand by just don't balance it. Either build it hybrid or leave it if it was good with no real shaft play.

I agree, 100%. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Not a hit or miss with cermaic dbb conversion done or even Littco modified work..

Sorry, I should correct my statement only referring to the GPOP ones.

I personally know someone who was GPOP balanced other than this OP that had his IS38 go also. He never investigated (could have been balance related or just bad IS38 but will never know) and sold his car. But he was not lucky. His engine got shot also, metal messed up one of his cylinders.

Last edited:

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
So what compagnies other than GPOP and Littco offer a Hybrid IS20?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk