GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Set me straight on the MK7's Reliability

TroyC1

I'm considering either a GTI or Golf R after graduation in May. I've had some tell me they were quite reliable and others tell me they were junk. I would really appreciate hearing from those who have owned one for 3 years or more.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

johng.wissig

Ready to race!
I'm considering either a GTI or Golf R after graduation in May. I've had some tell me they were quite reliable and others tell me they were junk. I would really appreciate hearing from those who have owned one for 3 years or more.

Thank you in advance.

Just under 50k on a 2015, no issues. Will be 3 years on Fathers Day. Completely happy. 2 door gti se

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Litespeedgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
Just hit 50,000 miles today on my 2015 S with DSG. Only two small items fixed under warranty and one that was just over the 3/36 period. That one was about a $300 repair.

Solid/tight car. Responsive/quick brakes. Will buy another one when it's time. Windows and doors close like a new car.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
55k (tsi though) 2 years. Stage 1 for 52k
Oil change and tires. No issues at all. Of course Tsi S (base model) doesn't have much to go wrong.
Haven't even needed spark plugs, but will change at 60k.
Brakes & clutch are still original. No issues with either.

TroyC1

Thanks for the replies all.

Is it true you have to strictly stick to the maintenance schedule to keep them running?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
A lot of the negative Nellie comments I've read the past couple of years are from people who either don't own a VW but have heard "stories", or had one 15 years ago and it was a turd, therefore the Mk7 and ALL VW products are garbage. Neither is a reliable source of useful info.

My Mk7 R is almost 2 years old, 22k miles, rock-solid reliable.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
A lot of the negative Nellie comments I've read the past couple of years are from people who either don't own a VW but have heard "stories", or had one 15 years ago and it was a turd, therefore the Mk7 and ALL VW products are garbage. Neither is a reliable source of useful info.

Exactly! OP, those people telling you negative things about VW, what do they drive, a Honda?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the replies all.

Is it true you have to strictly stick to the maintenance schedule to keep them running?

Yes you definitely need to stick with the suggested maintenance intervals, but they’re nothing crazy. Most of us even run slightly shorter intervals due to our increased power output being tuned.

My 2016 Gti, apr stage 2 FBO has 53,500 miles and has never been back to the dealership. Zero issues.

This forum has a TON of good information published by some very experienced and knowledgeable people. There’s also a ton of bad information out there (mk7 FB group has a lot of it). Just be sure to use a reputable source for your info and the platform will exceed your expectations

TroyC1

Yes you definitely need to stick with the suggested maintenance intervals, but they’re nothing crazy. Most of us even run slightly shorter intervals due to our increased power output being tuned.

My 2016 Gti, apr stage 2 FBO has 53,500 miles and has never been back to the dealership. Zero issues.

This forum has a TON of good information published by some very experienced and knowledgeable people. There’s also a ton of bad information out there (mk7 FB group has a lot of it). Just be sure to use a reputable source for your info and the platform will exceed your expectations
I certainly don't plan to tune the car. I know my limitations, and know I have no business attempting such a thing.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
To each their own on tuning and mods, obviously I’m all for it but it’s a great car even bone stock for most people and there’s options that can retain your warranty too.

Basically the odds of getting a lemon mk7 are less than 1% from what I’ve seen, and I’ve been active here since way before these cars were even available in the US

TroyC1

To each their own on tuning and mods, obviously I’m all for it but it’s a great car even bone stock for most people and there’s options that can retain your warranty too.

Basically the odds of getting a lemon mk7 are less than 1% from what I’ve seen, and I’ve been active here since way before these cars were even available in the US
Thanks. I appreciate your experience.

I'm drawn to them for the FWD horsepower, the handling, and the nice interior