GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Headlight Adjustment

Apw36

I've been reading a lot about the headlights included in the GTI lighting package. I feel that the cut-off on mine is a little too low for the rural roads I drive at night. I understand the lights can be adjusted with an allen key. But I'm a little confused, because I hear people with lowered cars don't need to touch this screw and can use VCDS or OBD11 to auto-level the lights. Does this mean if I manually adjust the lights to a little higher, then the car will automatically set it to a lower position when I restart the car? I manually adjusted the xenons projectors on my old car and never got flashed, so I'm only looking to slightly increase the height. Also, I haven't actually found the adjustment screw. Is it easy to spot? Thanks in advance!

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
I'm still trying to track down the official VW documentation on how this is done. But my current hypothesis, based on reading many many threads, is that you need to put the lights in adjust mode via vcds then use the adjustment screw on the assembly. Screw is easy to spot, one up top does the left/right adjustment, one recessed toward the bottom does up/down.

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
I think the scenario is much different after lowering a car. The lights need to be calibrated via software to let the car know that the lowered position is the "new" position for a flat road. My car is completely stock, and I found my lights to be too low. I used a screwdriver to fine-tune my lights. I would not use this method to raise the lights after lowering, but believe it to be the appropriate method for making small adjustments. I've done this to several cars with auto-leveling xenon headlights over the past 15 years and have never had an issue. I assume this car is no different.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
You use an allen key to adjust the height up or down. It tells you above them what they are for and the direction to turn them.

Mine needed 4 whole turns up before they were spot on and after asking the dealer why I had to do it they always go lower to avoid the possibility to dazzling.

I do have a picture of it on Photobucket but it has been playing silly buggers all day and deleted all my links to pictures but here goes....Lower is updown, the higher left/right. I would try one turn at a time.

Does this mean if I manually adjust the lights to a little higher, then the car will automatically set it to a lower position when I restart the car?
The car doesn't know the mechanical adjustment of your headlights.
It just knows the level of its ride height. Adjust your headlights and
it will automatically keep it that level under any load.

hobie411

Passed Driver's Ed
My lights were crazy low after lowering. Literally couldn't see across the intersection at a traffic light. They might have been bad before lowering, but I wouldn't know since I hadn't driven at night by then.

Took my car to a tuner shop to have them programmatically adjusted. This made very little to no difference.

I then went to the dealership and the technician adjusted them manually. He said that's about the only real way to do it. It's been perfect ever since.

Side note, the tuner is VW certified and just up the road; dealer is 2 hours away or else I would've gone there first.

Apw36

Thanks to everyone for the help. I'm still getting to know the car, and I'm glad I'm not the only one to think these lights cut off a bit too low. Cheers!

Lvetterling

Ready to race!
I did the manual adjustment and it amazing how much better I can see. I had my brother drive in front of me to make sure they weren't too high. He said no way! I can see so much better and everything works great. I don't care if it's the proper way or not. It only took 2 minutes to adjust and works just fine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Look at the back cover of the headlight, it has a slot that goes all the way down. The up/down adjustment is at the bottom, you'll need a longer screw driver.