GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R suspension on GTI?

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Anyone installed R suspension on a GTI? I have a GTI with DCC and I compete in a factory Supersprint class. Was thinking if running a factory R setup would give me a bit of a stiffer ride and reduce body roll a bit. The risk is obviously that the car may be unbalanced due to the R different ratio of Spring rates front to back.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The R is heavier overall and has more weight over the axle in the Haldex diff/clutch assembly. I don't know how you're going to be able to balance your car using other stock pieces. You may also need R sway bars and other parts, if they'll fit.

Ask APR if they have any suggestions.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
It will more than likely raise your car. I tried installing R springs onto my car and it raised it ~0.1". I know that my car is a bit lighter than a GTI, but the GTI is also lower stock, so it will probably raise it almost a half inch. Other than that and the fact that the rear sway bar is different it should work fine. The spring rate bias is actually pretty similar front to rear.

R springs and dampers do fit your GTI, the rear sway bar doesn't (2WD vs 4WD).
As already mentioned, hard to predict the resulting ride height though. I would
not expect that to unbalance the car, as most aftermarket rear sway bars are
way thicker and stiffer.
I'd also consider fitting Clubsport parts, at least its rear sway bar, since you're
in Australia where the GTI Clubsport is available. Front spring may even be the
same as on any GTI (just depending on DSG/manual due to weight), while the
rear springs are definitely a bit stiffer.

Is your GTI a Performance? LSD or not is nothing less than essential in racing
and autocross competition.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Oh yea, that's a good idea. If you can get a hold of it, I bet clubsport suspension would be better overall for you than R suspension. It might be a little bit tail happy because it's designed to be used with a spoiler, but if you're autocrossing then a little tail happy is probably a good thing.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Appreciate all the responses. Actually didn't think about Clubsport parts. Though they may be a bit difficult to come by with only a few hundred in the country. I wasn't really considering buying the parts new. More of a low budget experiment in the quest for quicker times.
The category I compete in doesn't allow any after market performance parts. I am allowed "factory options" available at time of purchase. Which I class other OEM parts to be as I could have bought them from VW if I wanted to I guess. It does prevent me from an aftermarket LSD though which is a real bummer. I recon I'm losing at least 2s a lap just t that.
Any idea on the thickness difference between GTI and Clubsport swaybars?