GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aggressive wheel fitment thread/stance

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'm still in aww that you don't rub lol. I'm running the same wheel and tire size, but without spacers. I did the fender screw mod and still had to raise my coilovers up to ensure I wouldn't run on hard bumps. My negative camber up front is definitely not as aggressive as yours so that helps you a lot.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

That picture is stock suspension mounts but eMmotion springs and the flush mount kit. No camber mods at all, 20k+ miles on it and not a hint of rubbing.

My "fender to ground" measurement now is 25" all around, give or take an 1/8th of an inch. How low were/are you?

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
I'm about 24 7/8" to 25" ftg all around. I had the car about 1/4" lower but got a bit of rub up front. Negative camber is about 1.2 degrees up front.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'm about 24 7/8" to 25" ftg all around. I had the car about 1/4" lower but got a bit of rub up front. Negative camber is about 1.2 degrees up front.

That is pretty odd. I know I'm not below 25" on any corner now, and before my camber mounts I *think* my ride height was the same even though it looks lower now. I didn't touch my fenders before the new wheels either, so I'm not sure exactly how you'd rub but I wouldn't, unless the dips you hit are that much worse than what I do haha.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
I rub on small bumps. The fender screw mod helped dramatically though. 19x8.5 et 35. 235/35/19 vwr lowering springs probably an inch and a half around.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

Pooleygtd

Hi all, I have just brought a set of 19” et45 8j for my gtd, I’m running vwr springs, will I have rubbing issues? Also what tyres would people recommend?

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Hi all, I have just brought a set of 19” et45 8j for my gtd, I’m running vwr springs, will I have rubbing issues? Also what tyres would people recommend?
Probably not with that offset. Depends in tires of course.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
How much poke with a 19x8.5 +35 wheel and ED springs?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Ya I’m getting tired of explaining it...

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Just right imo

NinoJean

Hi all. Interested in purchasing a set of wheels.. 18x8.5 +38 with 235/40 or 225/40 tyres. Lowered on vwr springs. I don't want to do any fender work, is this wheel config possible?

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
Yes it'll work. You might need to remove a couple of the front fender screws if you go with the 235.
Hi all. Interested in purchasing a set of wheels.. 18x8.5 +38 with 235/40 or 225/40 tyres. Lowered on vwr springs. I don't want to do any fender work, is this wheel config possible?

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Alignment, tire brand/model, spring rate, shock health, etc. I'm surprised your setup would rub as well, but you'll be the best person to assess why. Your setup isn't significantly more aggressive than stock IMO if you're only lowered 1". A "flush kit" on OEM wheels would be more aggressive, and I ran one of those for 20k miles with zero rubbing.

*snip*

I'd recommend removing your fender screw, the screw insert and tucking your fender liner above the tab for some extra clearance.

The fender screw mod eliminated my rub up front. I thought my strut mounts were squeaking on big impacts but it was the sound of rubbing. Suspension is dead quiet now over everything. Still odd that 235/40R18 on et45 8.0" wide wheels would rub.

What is the equivalent millimeter fender liner clearance gained by removing the screw and tucking the tab? Not sure if I should risk trying 5mm spacers up front or not.